Game enemies you feel sorry for?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Megamixer

Game enemies you feel sorry for?

Post by Megamixer » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:06 pm

Bit of a strange one but hopefully a topic that hasn't been done to death before (or at all). This is inspired by me recently starting Kirby's Epic Yarn on Wii. I really hate killing those orange Waddle Dee things! The way they run away or cower from your abduction beam when in UFO form makes me feel bad. Also the way they stand there with hands over their eyes blubbing or trip themselves over. Sometimes I just leave them be :oops:

I need to get back to killing stuff in Resi or playing some Contra I think :lol:

Anyway, has anybody else ever hated having to kill an enemy in a game? Everybody knows that zombies have to die but what about the bad guys that you feel guilty about offing? Or is it just me?
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

SJ_Sathanas

Re: Game enemies you feel sorry for?

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:14 pm

I always felt tight killing Halo Grunts. Exccept on "Legendary", where it was just another gun being fired at me.

Alarm

Post by Alarm » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:16 pm

The final bosses in the Gradius games. They are generally defenceless and take a shot or three to kill.

richie freebird

Post by richie freebird » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:23 pm

I feel a bit sorry for the prostitutes I rob and kill on Grand Theft Auto.
And this bird you'll never change...

noobish hat

Post by noobish hat » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:51 pm

Most of the 'enemies' in Trip World. Cute little bastards...

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:55 pm

The head crab zombies in Half life 2, don't feel too bad when I chop them in half or gun them down, but the horrible screams when they are set on fire does bring out a pang of guilt.

Ferret Oxide

Post by Ferret Oxide » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:42 pm

I always feel sorry for Goombas. They're so useless and easily beaten that it feels a bit like bullying. Put wings on them, though, and they're fair game.

alistair_thomas

Post by alistair_thomas » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:58 pm

Any animal in Tomb Raider - I've invaded their space, they've done no harm, yet I end up killing them all.

noobish hat

Post by noobish hat » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:46 pm

alistair_thomas wrote:Any animal in Tomb Raider - I've invaded their space, they've done no harm, yet I end up killing them all.
I'm just replaying Tomb Raider 1 now, and I'm the opposite. They don't OWN these caves! I've as much right to be here as them! If they want to try to kill me, good luck to them, but I have automatic weapons and opposable thumbs.

crusto

Post by crusto » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:15 pm

Drop kicking the ewoks in the force unleashed 2's dlc just felt plain wrong. But I couldnt stop myself :lol: .

Eat your nans pants

JazzFunk

Post by JazzFunk » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:13 pm

Those purply-pink aliens in Alien Storm on the Megadrive, when you do the run attack and swipe them and they vibrate for a bit and seem to have this look of intense pain on their 'faces', it actually makes me feel a bit uncomfortable, yet in some other weird part of my head, there's a bit of glittery sadism-glee going on, too. I just think "Christ, that must bloody 'urt".

Also found playing the Splinter Cell games quite tough in a 'gung ho' manner, because it seemed somehow unfair to headshot live/stunned enemies when you could permanently disable them during a level simply by knocking them out. Think I played through SC1 and Pandora Tomorrow without killing a single guard!

mrmarvelxiii

Post by mrmarvelxiii » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:52 am

I know where your coming from. I tend to not kill as much as possible on Metroid Prime, especially the passive enemies. There's something so wrong about exploring a planet and slaughtering the indigenous wildlife. There's even a certain cuteness to those dogs with blocks of ice on their back - oh how they waddle!
Chazz it up!!!

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:24 am

The nurses in Operation Wolf.

What do you mean you're not supposed to shoot them?
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

Riddler

Post by Riddler » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:26 am

CIH wrote:I always felt tight killing Halo Grunts. Exccept on "Legendary", where it was just another gun being fired at me.

I thought of these to when i read the topic. They way they run away and cower make me feel bad for them.

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:23 am

Ferret Oxide wrote:I always feel sorry for Goombas. They're so useless and easily beaten that it feels a bit like bullying. Put wings on them, though, and they're fair game.
You nicked mine! :lol:

Failing that, most of the enemies in any of the Bomberman games are just too adorable to blow up.