Whats your favourite OBSCURE 8bit computer?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Mire Mare

Re: Whats your favourite OBSCURE 8bit computer?

Post by Mire Mare » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:25 pm

I'm quite fond of the Toshiba HX10(?) MSX. One of my best friends was due to get a c64 but his dad came back with the MSX. We'd been looking forward to swapping games but that put paid to that! Anyway, once he got a few games, tape and cart, we quite enjoyed the MSX. More often than not though we'd be at my house on the 64.

I still quite like the look of the Toshiba MSX and have even considered picking one up cheap.

sscott

Post by sscott » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:20 pm

It's not really obscure but the Atari XL was less popular it seemed then when I owned it, it was cheap - £100 from Dixons but was supported as a '4th system' after Spectrum, Commodore and Amstrad.

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:25 pm

The Dragon 32 because it had a cool name based on a mythical beast that could toast the area of Thetford. Other computers I would've liked to have seen during the 80's are the Minotaur 64 & the Wyvern 128 with disc drive.
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

supermario

Post by supermario » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:55 pm

Memotech MTX - looked dead cool but didn't last long

c0nfu53d

Post by c0nfu53d » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:20 pm

The closest i've come to an obscure 8bit is the Atari 800XL. Not particularly obscure but still it's all I got.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:01 pm

supermario wrote:Memotech MTX - looked dead cool but didn't last long

Didn't most of the computers in the '80s just look really cool? Seriously, I mean look at most of them, they just looked really good design wise IMO.

necronom

Post by necronom » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:15 pm

Not sure if it counts as obscure (we used them at school a lot, so the Amstrad is FAR more obscure to me as I didn't know anyone with one of those), but the PET is my favourite that wasn't one of the three main ones. Classic design, and a great computer.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

Sixteen Plus

Post by Sixteen Plus » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:08 pm

Shinobi wrote:
sack wrote:The Commodore 16 definitely needs more love. That's where I started and I still have a soft spot for the thing
Agreed even the RG Commodore 16 article was poor, didn't even have the 2 pages of game screenshots.. Practically everybody in school with me had Commodore 16's and Plus 4's so both that and the MSX where heavily discounted, they sold really well.. Still say a lot of Anco's games are better then the Commodore 64 versions
Same here. Nearly all my mates had either a C16 or Plus/4 too. I still have a C16, upgraded to 64K. The support wasn't as poor as people made out, but sure nowhere near as much as the larger systems, 1985-88 were the best years. I wouldn't even quite call them obscure systems though.

I'm surprised it still gets a hard time. There were definitely at least a couple of worse ideas that Commodore released afterwards.

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:25 pm

If you call the Oric/Dragon/MSX for obscure: Shame on you! They were high-publicity machinery in their time and day.

Wants: ADAM and Enterprise. Yeah, I know, they are only borderline obscure.

Havantgottaclue

Post by Havantgottaclue » Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:24 am

I have one model of MSX which is a little different, if not obscure - a Yamaha CX5M music computer, which is a standard MSX with an 8-channel synthesizer in it.

I also have a Thomson TO8, which is a nice machine with a generous colour palette (4,096) and a nice CPU (Motorola 6809, same as the Dragon). However it was meant primarily for educational purposes and doesn't have things like hardware sprites or scrolling, so it can be a bit sluggish for games. Also its sound capabilities aren't up to much. It's pretty obscure in the UK but not in France, where it was used in schools.
Soon you will have forgotten all things: soon all things will have forgotten you. (Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 7)

andyc

Post by andyc » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:35 pm

My Dad had an Einstein from work for a while, it had the most awesome version of hangman on it I've ever played. Does that count as obscure?

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:11 pm

There is an old chap I know (he is 70) that has a boxed Einstein in perfect condition - tucked away in his loft! He said he would dig it out and I could have it :D

He also said I could have a great big loop of shielded cable to run to my shed..... that was 3 years ago :roll: :lol:

He is our Gas engineer and electrician (and even at 70 is far better than the usual arseholes that rip you off!!)
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

StarshipUK

Post by StarshipUK » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:56 pm

Einstein and Commodore 116. (Not a typo - the cute looking mini-Plus 4 style machine with rubber keys!)
I'm gonna burn your house down. With a lemon.

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:09 pm

You can't beat the good old 480Z :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LINK_480Z

We had a few of these in our school computer club. They really weren't much good for playing anything other than 'Egg Run', 'Monster' and a couple of text adventures, but I still have a fair bit of completely misguided nostalgic love for them.
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

andyc

Post by andyc » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:36 am

markopoloman wrote:There is an old chap I know (he is 70) that has a boxed Einstein in perfect condition - tucked away in his loft! He said he would dig it out and I could have it :D
Totally worth it, for the Hangman game alone (which I think came on the system discs). Although given I haven't played it in years and completely failed to get a working emulation, that might be rose-tinted nonsense and the game might, in fact, be bobbins. :lol: