How long did you spend in game shops?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

thebear

Re: How long did you spend in game shops?

Post by thebear » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:41 am

slacey1070 wrote:When I worked in the Micro Shop mid/late 80s, we'd have regulars who would come in, chat, look at the new releases, play them on machines they didn't own etc.

I seem to remember Mercenary generated a fair bit of interest when that was released, as did the Atari ST, when the bloke I worked with set his own machine up in the shop . . . .

In many ways it was like a youth club! Should have branched out into soft drinks!

Happy (simple) days . . . .
One in Canterbury used to have a room with computers set up where you could pay I think it was a fiver to play pretty much long as you liked!

saved me from many boring trips round the shops with parents did that place lol
one of the biggest collections of classic 70's, 80'S and on wrestling and boxing around - http://www.freewebs.com/cbenee

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:55 am

I never go to town specifically to go to Game and Gamestation but I sometimes pop in - I tend to breeze in and out fairly quickly, basically remarking that everything can be found cheaper, new, online. I did buy some DS game wallets not too long ago so as they hold a lot and are secure.

In a decent shop where you are more welcome, i.e. can have a conversation with the staff and they know about games then I might be a bit longer, maybe 10-15 mins.

I I go to Game Link I can be there for hours!
Xbox Live: RetroBob

boggyb68

Post by boggyb68 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:22 am

Used to spend all my after school life and weekends in the aerly 80's in Silica Shop in Sidcup in Kent.. we all knew the staff and would have lock ins playing games until late in the evenings or wait for a delivery of Atari/Intellivision carts so we could try out the brand new games.. I particularly remember on elate night when Boxing, Bowling, Triple Action and Snafu were released on the Intellivision.. they didn't get delivered til about 8pm.. we were all still there waiting..

My parents used to call the shop first when dinner was ready before calling friends houses.. :)

Good times..

B.
Pinkle Squirmy Blip Blip Blip

Wookiee

Post by Wookiee » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:47 am

before I got the webz?

probably 30mins to an hour....just browsing around to see if there was anything that took my fancy

after I started using the net....roughly no time, I tend to order online these days - can't be dealing with the hassle of crowds when someone will deliver to my door and often at a lower price

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:04 am

If you had a computer in the 80s and lived in Sheffield then Just Micro was the place to be, I spent many an hour on a Saturday afternoon in there.
Splink!

Smurph

Post by Smurph » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:16 pm

Varying amounts. One time though, I finished school and went to the Virgin Megastore in Belfast, and played Castle of Illusion to completion on their display console. My mum freaked out when I got home, as this was when Belfast was, shall we say, a less safe place to be - there had been a bomb earlier in the day and she was worried, bless her.
Antiriad2097 wrote:There is no in or out, just a constant state of retro gamer.
Nowloading.co.uk My Retrobate Profile

SoupDragon

Post by SoupDragon » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:44 pm

We only had two small computer games shop in my area in the early 80's and as much as id like to have taken a while to browse, I usually knew exactly what I wanted and was in and out, eager to play it. I remember skiving school just to buy Durell's Saboteur, couldn't get out of the shop quick enough :lol:

Sixteen Plus

Post by Sixteen Plus » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:26 pm

I used to spend hours in game shops back in the 1980's. Nowadays I spend about 5 minutes in them.

SpecChum81
Location: London, a small village on Mars, just outside the capital city, Wubble!!

Post by SpecChum81 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:13 am

I used to quite happily spend a long time in game shops

My nearest one was Adam's World just down the road and spent a fair amount of time there buying my Speccy and Megadrive games! :)

A while later my local shopping centre opened up an Electronics Boutique outlet (Later to become game) and I got to know the staff there at the time and they are still friends of mine (One of them also happened to be Electric Eddie from Games World.)

I don't spent quite as much time as I did in games shops, but I quite often have a look around to see if anything takes my facny...
Press Play On Tape

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:29 am

I used to spend a lot of time in my local games shop and therefore got to know the owner quite well. As a child funds were obviously limited, and with no internet or Cash Converters you'd have to select your game very carefully. It sounds daft but in a way I miss that - today if I buy a game and don't like it, I quickly move on to another one, whereas when you're younger you are determined to get your money's worth

dlloyd

Post by dlloyd » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:29 am

Our local John Menzies used to have a ZX Spectrum set up, but they often didn't have any games loaded. It was mildly amusing to type:

10 PRINT "Manic Miner is loading"
20 BORDER 1
30 BORDER 2
40 GOTO 20
RUN

or something like that, and see how long kids would stand waiting for the game to load...

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:49 am

dlloyd wrote:Our local John Menzies used to have a ZX Spectrum set up, but they often didn't have any games loaded. It was mildly amusing to type:

10 PRINT "Manic Miner is loading"
20 BORDER 1
30 BORDER 2
40 GOTO 20
RUN

or something like that, and see how long kids would stand waiting for the game to load...
lol I like you're sense of humour my friend.

I'm still waiting.
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

AceGrace

Post by AceGrace » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:23 am

I used to get £1 pocket money a week, so on a Saturday afternoon I would get a return ticket (90p) into Brighton and spend the afternoon in the West street arcades just watching people playing games.

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:25 am

Hmm, not really no. Pretty much just went in to buy the games, I can't remember hanging around for any length of time.

You know, thinking about it, my memories of shopping for games seem to have disappeared!
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:04 pm

Oh, hours. There was a small computer shop in the supermarket around the corner from my house and I would hang out there after school. You know, I don't think I ever bought anything! :lol: