Which consoles have you sold but now wish you had kept

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

slayer6000

Which consoles have you sold but now wish you had kept

Post by slayer6000 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:24 am

Im sure many of you like me have had to at some point part with consoles and related stuff to create space, and i was just wondering what you have parted with that you wish you hadnt. A couple of years ago i sold my nintendo 64 and collection of games, as i just didnt use it anymore, but now I really want to go back over the games aand play them again. I think at some point im going to have to get another one, but to build up the collection of games i had will take some time, and may not impress the wife!

So i was just wondering if any of you had made this mistake and what it was you parted with
This week i av mostly been playing dreamcast

Morkin

Re: Which consoles have you sold but now wish you had kept

Post by Morkin » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:38 pm

The only consoles I've sold are the PS1 & the original Xbox, along with the original DS Phat which all went towards the purchase of newer consoles so no regrets there. :) Although my poor old collection of Crash, YS & C&VG which met the hands of the refuse collectors... :cry:

simes

Post by simes » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:54 pm

I had some cash flow problems a few years back and reluctantly parted with my C64GS. It was in near mint condition, still boxed and the console was still bagged inside the polystyrene and even still had the sticker to protect the cartridge port as well as the protective bag that the cartridge came in! I sold it at a computer show to a fellow collector, Alan Bairstow who used to run Commodore Scene as he didn't have one complete or in working condition and I knew that he was going to take it to various shows as a display model so at least I knew it was going to a good home and going to be used pretty much as a museum piece.

Looking back, I wish I had held on to it, not because of the prices it is going for these days, but because it's another C64 I would just love to have back in the collection and with the current market there's no way I'll ever be able to afford one, let alone in that sort of condition. :(
ImageImage

http://www.transformersvideogames.co.uk - complete guide to Transformers computer / video games
Sales / Trades Wants: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=32492

Roo

Post by Roo » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:06 pm

I've only ever sold one console, and that was a purple Game Boy Colour back in 2002 to put towards Super Mario World on the GBA. Never really missed it, though it was quite nice to buy a good condition GBC in town this week for a tenner.

Selling around fifty N64 games for basically hee-haw in Electronics Boutique so I could pay of most - yeah, most, not all! - of a £130 GameCube on launch was perhaps my biggest gaming regret, though. There's still a few games I've not been able to pick up since.

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:35 pm

These are the consoles ive sold (or binned) in the past were I wish I hadn't:

Vic20, C64, Snes, Gameboy Color, N64 x 2, PS1, NES, Master System, Dreamcast, GP2X, Gameboy Advance SP, Gameboy Micro, Nintendo DS, PSP, PS2
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

retrojc

Post by retrojc » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:41 pm

FM Towns probbaly my number one. Just miss Splatterhouse and Parodius

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:00 pm

Neo Geo six slot arcade cab
Neo Geo AES
Neo Geo CDZ
Pc Engine Supergrafx
US SNES
JAP SNES
Supergun + Super SF II Turbo

:(

Joey

Post by Joey » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:29 pm

Not so much the console but in a moment of madness last year I sold my PSP and 200 games.

Had some great Jap games in that lot as well, wish I hadn't of done it and probably would have seen how much of a complete collection I could have gone for!

Lorfarius

Post by Lorfarius » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:43 pm

My fully modded PC Engine with Super CD to twoheadedboy. I really needed the money at the time but thinking back its one of the best retro systems I've ever played. The CD games were amazing to play, especially considering the time.
For all your mad retro gaming needs, regular content on a daily basis!

https://www.youtube.com/user/Lorfarius

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:04 pm

My (Mk1 and Mk 2) Atari Lynx and games collection.

:cry: Sold when was very short of cash, re-discovering the great games now thanks to emulation, but still miss the hardware.

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:19 pm

The usual -

Speccy 48k
Speccy 128k
Nes
Snes
Game Gear
Gameboy Pocket
PSOne
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:48 pm

The only two systems I've let go are my Speccy + and heavily modded Atari ST. Given the space they'd take up I can't say I regret letting them go all that much. Sure, sometimes I wish 'If only I could play...' on the original hardware but overall I'm happy to hold on to the many fine memories those computers provided... without risking having those memories being tainted by witnessing how badly some of the games may have aged in the intervening years.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:53 pm

Je ne regrette rien. I might be the odd person out here, I've never sold any of the computers and consoles I've acquired.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Dam

Post by Dam » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:26 pm

Whilst I wish I'd kept all my old consoles, at the time I had to sell one to fund the purchase of another. The one I really miss is the original gameboy though. Slim chance nowadays of finding a mint one.

Rinoa

Post by Rinoa » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:56 pm

I regret selling my Spectrum at a car boot when I was a kid. Also, I wish I had kept my original PlayStation, just for sentimental reasons if anything.

Don't think I've sold anything else, thankfully.