Consoles that are considered poor that you own.

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

The Laird

Re: Consoles that are considered poor that you own.

Post by The Laird » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:02 am

look at it sideways wrote:A 3DO, and I love it. My friend bought one years ago when it was released and hated it so I bought it off him for £30 I'd saved up from my pocket money.

There's some great games for it - I still enjoy Alone in the Dark, Need for Speed, Theme Park, Total Eclipse, Gex and Killing Time.
I have never owned one but played on one plenty when I worked at Game back in the day. It had crappy controllers but I enjoyed playing Road Rash, FIFA, Starfighter 3000, Super Streetfighter 2, Need For Speed and Samurai Showdown on it.

Great memories of those days.
Last edited by The Laird on Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mire Mare

Post by Mire Mare » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:20 am

andyc wrote:
Mire Mare wrote:I really want to like my GX4000. I really do. It's just that when ever I unpacked it, set it up and played it, well, it was always devastatingly depressing. Poor machine = GX4000
The machine is lovely. Apart from the joypads. And, well, pretty much every game ever released on it.

I still love mine though. ;-)
Actually, I think it's the aesthetics of the console itself that make me want to like the GX4000. It's a shame the design of the machine isn't incorporated into the terrible pads.

Still it's a poor machine imo and the games are generally available on other machines.

AmigaJay

Post by AmigaJay » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:03 am

Trouble with the GX4000 and C64GS was they launched 3 years too late! By the end of 1990 (when the GX4000 launched) 8-bit consoles were on the way out and the Megadrive was launching in Europe and the US, this coupled with the fact that why pay £25 for a cartridge when you could have the same two year old game on cassette for £1.99! Not Amstrads brightest moment! I was 13 when they came out and I just thought oh dear...why!?
I've just looked at the sales figures of the GX4000, wow 15,000 units sold...even the mighty Gizmondo sold more than that :lol:

richie freebird

Post by richie freebird » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:05 pm

Jagfest_UK wrote:
richie freebird wrote:Are Atari 7800’s considered poor? I never really hear much about them. I have one of them also, however I consider it to be amazing.
By stupid people yes :lol:

Its a great machine that outsold the Master System in America by 2:1 :D
The Master System is my favorite console, due to it holding the most nostalgic memories from my childhood, but I don’t half love the 7800 too. That being said, recently it only seems to be 2600 cartridges and a Master System pad that are plugged into my 78.
And this bird you'll never change...

Sixteen Plus

Post by Sixteen Plus » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:12 pm

AmigaJay wrote:Trouble with the GX4000 and C64GS was they launched 3 years too late! By the end of 1990 (when the GX4000 launched) 8-bit consoles were on the way out and the Megadrive was launching in Europe and the US, this coupled with the fact that why pay £25 for a cartridge when you could have the same two year old game on cassette for £1.99! Not Amstrads brightest moment! I was 13 when they came out and I just thought oh dear...why!?
I've just looked at the sales figures of the GX4000, wow 15,000 units sold...even the mighty Gizmondo sold more than that :lol:
The C64GS was a bad idea to begin with at anytime. Why bother when you could just play the same cartridge and more on a real C64? It was the worst idea Commodore ever came up with. The only good thing to come out of it was that C64 owners were actually be able to play high-end games on cartridge for the first time, it's just a shame that it happened really late, we could've seen some even more amazing arcade conversions. Pac-Land as great as it already is, on cartridge would've been even better. room for the full game. Multiload games which took ages to load on tape, like Turrican, New Zealand Story and Rainbow Islands were perfect for cartridge.

Sp33dFr34k

Post by Sp33dFr34k » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:13 pm

32X, I think the idea is great (at least it is/was something "different"), but the games for the thing aren't all that great, and the ones that are cost a ton... :roll:

richie freebird

Post by richie freebird » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:21 am

Sp33dFr34k wrote:32X, I think the idea is great (at least it is/was something "different"), but the games for the thing aren't all that great, and the ones that are cost a ton... :roll:
It looked disgusting too. The Master System converter proved that a cartridge slot inputted extension device for the Megadrive could look sexy, but the 32X just looks like some kind of unorthodox foreign mushroom that’s gone off.

Virtua Fighter for it was half all right, though.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:33 pm

richie freebird wrote:
Sp33dFr34k wrote:32X, I think the idea is great (at least it is/was something "different"), but the games for the thing aren't all that great, and the ones that are cost a ton... :roll:
It looked disgusting too. The Master System converter proved that a cartridge slot inputted extension device for the Megadrive could look sexy, but the 32X just looks like some kind of unorthodox foreign mushroom that’s gone off.

Virtua Fighter for it was half all right, though.
Not forgetting all the cables and huge PSU bricks needed for the full MD/MCD/32X set-up. It was far too complicated especially since there were different cables for different versions of the MD etc.

I'm completely impartial when it comes to the MD and SNES but if the SNES managed to last without any add-ons, surely Sega could have done the same with the Mega Drive? Money wasted on the MCD and 32X could have been put into making some more killer games for the Mega Drive or even Saturn R&D. Ultimately, there was no need for the Mega Drive add-ons. Nobody asked for them and hardly anybody bought them which says it all.

There are some great Mega CD games though but also plenty of others (such as FMV games) that perfectly sum up the mis-direction of developers at the time.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Sp33dFr34k

Post by Sp33dFr34k » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:05 pm

Exactly, that was a huge mistake they made there, unfortunately cause I really do love Sega...

Anyways, the Sega Mega CD had some really great games AND it was a nice addition to the MD which didn't look too bad either.

@richie freebird: I think you mean the converter type 1 right? The 2 looked kinda similar to the 32X.

richie freebird

Post by richie freebird » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:14 pm

Megamixer wrote:There are some great Mega CD games though but also plenty of others (such as FMV games) that perfectly sum up the mis-direction of developers at the time.
Power Rangers is an example of an FMV game that was actually pretty fun and entertaining (if a little short).
Sp33dFr34k wrote:@richie freebird: I think you mean the converter type 1 right? The 2 looked kinda similar to the 32X.
I must do, yeah. To be honest I didn’t know there was more than one version of the converter. I’ve always had Master Systems, so have never really used converters except when at friend’s houses.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:16 pm

richie freebird wrote:
Megamixer wrote:There are some great Mega CD games though but also plenty of others (such as FMV games) that perfectly sum up the mis-direction of developers at the time.
Power Rangers is an example of an FMV game that was actually pretty fun and entertaining (if a little short).
Oh some are good, no question. I have a particular fondness for Corpse Killer for example.

My point was that developers seemed to think this was the future and mere years later, FMV gaming was dead and buried. Looking back, it seems like such a catastrophic waste to have poured loads of cash into making these games with dev studios acting like movie producers etc. Hindsight is such a wonderful thing.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:26 am

The will . . .wii fit is quite fun... but its a serious poor console compared to the xbox. Great for casual gaming, not so great for much more.
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:36 am

slacey1070 wrote:The will . . .wii fit is quite fun... but its a serious poor console compared to the xbox. Great for casual gaming, not so great for much more.
Brace yourself for the stampede of the usual suspects telling you that your stated opinion is wrong! :? :lol:
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:57 am

DreamcastRIP wrote:
slacey1070 wrote:The will . . .wii fit is quite fun... but its a serious poor console compared to the xbox. Great for casual gaming, not so great for much more.
Brace yourself for the stampede of the usual suspects telling you that your stated opinion is wrong! :? :lol:
I've nothing against people expressing their own opinions. However, I'd suspect that anyone who thinks that Wii Fit is all the machine has to offer hasn't exactly delved that deep into its games library. His loss, I suppose.

storm_maker

Post by storm_maker » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:06 pm

Jonboy1977 wrote:In all honestly, I have heard nothing but love for the N64 on these forums ( apart from the controller ) If you consider tha its games that make a console then all you have to do is look at how people regard Zelda, Mario, Perfecr Dark, Goldeneye etc.
Eh?!

Dude, there's at least 3 threads on this forum which are 30 pages of non-stop hate LOL

Also, if anyone's wondering, all the major retro forums are exactly the same, N64 is definitely not a well liked system amongst retro fans, I would say its one of the most underrated retro consoles of the lot.

In regards to the thread

I own an N-Gage, it was actually pretty good to be honest, playable games in most genre's, some were pretty nice looking graphically too, and some unremarkable ports of old classics to fill some of the holes.

I own a 3DO, its alright, again there's some good stuff on it, a few exclusives, some good ports, a few PC games not ported to other consoles etc, I'd say its library is a little weaker than N-Gage though.

I own a Grundig Interton, I haven't got many games, but the ones I have aren't very remarkable, its a very old system though.

Yeah I know, my username does indeed suck. When I made this profile I never intended it to be my primary username, unfortunately it just ended up that way, and now I'm stuck with it unless I start over