Consoles that are considered poor that you own.

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

jdanddiet

Re: Consoles that are considered poor that you own.

Post by jdanddiet » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:21 pm

Rinoa wrote:Jaguar - I don't like the controller, but I do like the system - probably even more so now since Jagfest introduced me to some of its better games at RGR.
I think he must be on commission or something.
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

richie freebird

Post by richie freebird » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:15 pm

I’ve got a Mega CD, I know they aren’t held in to high of a regard. For some reason though, there’s an absolute sense of magic that I experience when playing CD’s through my Megadrive. I never had one of these back in the day but was a big Megadrive junkie, so now, hearing CD quality sound and seeing the FMV on some games just has a wondrous feeling. Even if most of the games are shïte!

Are Atari 7800’s considered poor? I never really hear much about them. I have one of them also, however I consider it to be amazing.
And this bird you'll never change...

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:52 pm

Rinoa wrote:PC-FX - I've not really used it much as I don't understand Japanese (yet), plus a lot of the games appear to be hentai or dating crap. Bit of a quirky system to own though.
It is certainly the most Japanese of consoles, there are only five games that can be played with no Japanese knowledge, Zenki FX, if you can find it, it will set you back £200+, Chip Chap Kick, a brilliant Snow Bros/ Parasol Stars clone but again this will cost around the £100 mark for a decent copy, there are two FMV fighting games, Battle Heat and Tengai, which use the machine very well, and can be sourced for around £20 and £40 respectively, and the last one is Zeroigar, the only shoot em up on the system, but it is not really that good, especially as it will easily cost you £100 - £150 if you can find it at all.

Most other games have too much Japanese to really have a full grasp of what is going on, so they are either impossible to progress, or require guesswork to proceed.

And yes, there is a large amount of 'love' simulators on the machine.

If you have not seen it already, this site is excellent for information on the machine.

http://www.pcenginefx.com/PC-FX/html/pc ... chive.html

The game language page is very helpful for a guide on what level of Japanese is needed to play a game.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:55 pm

richie freebird wrote:Are Atari 7800’s considered poor? I never really hear much about them. I have one of them also, however I consider it to be amazing.
By stupid people yes :lol:

Its a great machine that outsold the Master System in America by 2:1 :D

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:06 pm

Got my 7800 in an Argos end of catalogue sale, one of the best £19.99 I ever spent, not only some great games of it's own, Commando, Ballblazer etc, but surely one of the best backwards compatible machines, I was able to go back and collect all the 2600 games that I had been curious about very cheaply, River Raid to this day is a real favourite.

andyc

Post by andyc » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:57 pm

Mire Mare wrote:I really want to like my GX4000. I really do. It's just that when ever I unpacked it, set it up and played it, well, it was always devastatingly depressing. Poor machine = GX4000
The machine is lovely. Apart from the joypads. And, well, pretty much every game ever released on it.

I still love mine though. ;-)

Vyothric

Post by Vyothric » Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:21 pm

Of the ones previously mentioned, I have:

Mega CD - It has some games that I really like. Earthworm Jim, Ecco, The Terminator....
32x - Only a few games worth playing, but already having an Everdrive made it a worthwhile purchase.
3DO (FZ-1) - Got it really cheap at a car boot sale. The Stepdown transformer & controller I needed to actually play it cost more.

As long as there's a few games that I want to play on it (and as long as it's not really expensive), I'll probably continue to get some of the consoles that are...."less good" :P
LastFM | Mods | Music | Twitter | YouTube

Zwischen Leere und Nichts

Sixteen Plus

Post by Sixteen Plus » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:45 pm

adippm82 wrote:Commodore Plus 4, now this is a dog of a machine in IMO, looks really nice, but for games at the time it was hideous, but even this could be rectified nowadays with some of the 64K remakes that are available on the net, it does play a nice version of Mercenary, and I also have both the ACE games that use the full 64K, and Saboteur I did enjoy on it.
I found some of the quality was actually the other way around on the plus/4 and C16 compared to the C64, You just gotta know where to look :shock:

Tom Thumb
BMX Racers
^^Both stinkers on the C64, but absolute classic on the C16/plussy, particular Tom.

Squirm
Xzap
Timeslip
Monty on the Run/Auf Weidersehen Monty
Kikstart (arguably better by some, but I say they're just 2 different games, the C16 version based on some old arcade game I think)
Many more...

Sure there were many stinkers, some games that were just uncovertable for an unexpanded C16, but the C64 has it's fair share of many stinkers too. The C64 had C16 games converted to the C64 not because the C16/+4 version was hideous, but because they were actually good worthy games to convert, such as it's different version of Kikstart which was near enough a straight port. A C16 sequel to Big Mac entitled "Mr Puniverse", but called Big Mad on the C64, but still not quite as good as the original. Also C16 Video Meanies which I haven't played on the C64 yet, but a great game. There might be more.

Three programmers spring to mind for great C16/plussy games. Shaun Southern (Sout). T. Kelly, and Udo Gertz. You knew you were getting a good game when you see there name on them.

I'm still waiting for a C64 port of Tom Thumb16, BMX Racers16, Timeslip, Xzap and the Monty16 games in particular.

You should also check games out like Bongo, Summer & Winter Events, all by Anco. Mastertronic & Gremlin Graphics were a main contributor to great games. Trailblazer was actually first written for the C16/+4 and converted later to other systems, same as Cascade's ACE.

If you look at the scene now, you'll still see a lot of talented sceners around. More tricks are being pulled out of it than out of a magicians hat. I bought a new game called "Adventures In Time" about a year back. I have no idea how they managed to get that sound out of a TED chip. Also if you check the plus4world database, many classic C64 games has been successfully straight converted to the plussy by sceners.

Maybe it was poor in some ways technically, but it had a few advancements of it's own, and they sold pretty well with a good gamebase. I agree Commodore did make a hash of their timings. But the 264 series definitely wasn't even the 2nd worst idea Commodore made. I put the first two down to the dreadful C64GS at number one, and the C128 (an overblown overexpensive bugged C64 with a redundant 7.0 basic) at number two.

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:34 pm

Sixteen Plus wrote:
adippm82 wrote:Commodore Plus 4, now this is a dog of a machine in IMO, looks really nice, but for games at the time it was hideous, but even this could be rectified nowadays with some of the 64K remakes that are available on the net, it does play a nice version of Mercenary, and I also have both the ACE games that use the full 64K, and Saboteur I did enjoy on it.
I found some of the quality was actually the other way around on the plus/4 and C16 compared to the C64, You just gotta know where to look :shock:
I am not sure you have read my post properly, I was in no way comparing Plus 4 games to C64 games, I did not mention the C64 at all, I did not own one until 2005.

What my point was that a great many games have been written using the full 64k of the Plus 4 Memory on games such as Master Chess 2, and Megablazer from 1991, most long after it's shelf life, instead of just getting 16k ports of C16 games, which no matter how good they were, did not use the Plus 4 to it's full potential, so now the machine can be used as I originally hoped.

But thanks very much for pointing out some of the better games to try, I will have to get hold of some, and dig the old machine out, and hopefully erase the memory of games such as Way of the Exploding fist, Green beret, and Ghosts n Goblins complete with the huge block of colour round my character.

Did not help my brother had a Spectrum doing just about everything games wise to our eyes so much better.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:09 pm

3DO and Mega-CD. Both have some truly terrible games released for them and have (deserved) reputations for being bad business moves but there are also plenty of great titles for each. I've owned others like the 32X and CD32 which I didn't get on with but I'd say that the 3DO and Mega CD are both were giving some time.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Sixteen Plus

Post by Sixteen Plus » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:10 pm

adippm82 wrote:
Sixteen Plus wrote:
I am not sure you have read my post properly, I was in no way comparing Plus 4 games to C64 games, I did not mention the C64 at all, I did not own one until 2005.

What my point was that a great many games have been written using the full 64k of the Plus 4 Memory on games such as Master Chess 2, and Megablazer from 1991, most long after it's shelf life, instead of just getting 16k ports of C16 games, which no matter how good they were, did not use the Plus 4 to it's full potential, so now the machine can be used as I originally hoped.

But thanks very much for pointing out some of the better games to try, I will have to get hold of some, and dig the old machine out, and hopefully erase the memory of games such as Way of the Exploding fist, Green beret, and Ghosts n Goblins complete with the huge block of colour round my character.

Did not help my brother had a Spectrum doing just about everything games wise to our eyes so much better.
I probably didn't read it quite as you intended, I just get madly defensive about the 264 series because it's usually the most knocked platform of all, although it was far more successful than it is claimed with bags of good games, even in 16K. It's probably because the C16 sold more than the plussy because it was the cheaper out of the two that the plussy didn't recieve as many games making full use of it's extended memory.

But yup, we had some right stinkers which you mentioned they should never have bothered started they were that bad. I can't believe they released an incomplete G&G with only the first 2 levels, a multiload too. They even forgot to colour in the main sprite. Green Beret don't even get me started on lol. Also Sabeteur in 16K looked and felt like a basic listing from a magazine. I was quite impressed with Ikari Warriors though for 16K. A shame Paperboy missed out on the bonus stage too.

I have Richard Ikin, programmer of Commando for the C16 on my facebook, recently we had a right lol reminiscing about his poor conversion. But I couldn't believe when he told me that he was actually someway into developing Space Ace for the system. Yes I do mean Space Ace, and not Space Harrier. Apparantly he said it was going pretty good but got shelved. It wasn't even considered for any other platforms during that time, so for a reasonably successful 16K machine it was pretty mind-boggling :shock:

There are some great 16K games out there. Part of my love for the unexpanded C16 is that there were and still are programmers who concentrate more on playability, and/or pushing the boundaries that little bit more further. Tom Thumb with it's amazing amount of smooth multi-directional scrolling screens, and Summer & Winter Events which rivals the Epyx series, all 3 being prime examples by Udo Gertz. Check them out, as well as "Adventures In Time" which for that is 64K.

IMO Commodore missed a good opportunity back then. They should have then released something like the later-planned C65 instead, like a cross between the C16 and the C128 with a small C65 style keyboard, 128K ram, sprite and SID capablities, no backward compatibility with the C64 to force new development, and without an expensive built-in disk-drive, plus the usual standard ports so you could add a 1541. It would have been cheaper than the C128 for sure and should have been the next progression to compete with the reasonably priced 128K Speccy.

But it's all irrelevant now, and I'm happy with what I have and the modern retro scene :)

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:41 pm

Thanks again for the suggestions, I certainly will check them out, I have today dug the old machine out of the attic, when I fired it up, the old memories of some of these terrible games came flooding back, but I did enjoy Mercenary, Ace, and Kick start.

Trouble is though, that it is hard to erase these memories of a machine I did not get along with all those years ago, and of course, all these new 64K games did not exist back then, so there seemed little point to me in the day to persevere with it, my brother went on to a 128K Speccy and passed his rubber key beauty to me, then I bought a plus 2 a while after, and the old Plus 4 was put away...for 25 years.

I will also refrain from calling machines like the plus 4 dogs or whatever in the future, as others such as yourselves are very fond of them, and are a valuable resource for them, I have been reading the site in your sig, excellent reading.

I thought I had more games than this, but this is the extent of the original games archived away which are:

Mercenary,
The Ace games
Way Of The Exploding Fist
Fighting Warrior
Beach Head
Finders Keepers
Green Beret
One Man & His Droid
Robo Knight
Molecule Man
Storm
Kick Start Off Road
Spiky Harold
Thrust
Saboteur
Jet Set Willy 2
Project Nova

Sixteen Plus

Post by Sixteen Plus » Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:12 pm

A few good and a few not so good in your list there. Thanks for checking our site also.

But check out plus4world too, they have a Top List of C16/Plussy games. You'll be pleasantly surprised at the amount of games now available for 64K users. Surprised Boulderdash+4 hasn't made the list, one of my favourite all time games. Definitely more classics that hasn't made the top 50 list too, but there were many games :)

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:33 pm

Thanks for all the info, I really must give the machine a better chance than I have in the past.

I have been on Plus 4 world before, but I must have a longer stay on there, some excellent games on the list, Head over Heels for instance, I would love to play some of these on the proper hardware. not into emulation, and nice to know I have number three on the list already.

LAIS

Post by LAIS » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:26 am

A 3DO, and I love it. My friend bought one years ago when it was released and hated it so I bought it off him for £30 I'd saved up from my pocket money.

There's some great games for it - I still enjoy Alone in the Dark, Need for Speed, Theme Park, Total Eclipse, Gex and Killing Time.