Consoles that are considered poor that you own.

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Jonboy1977

Consoles that are considered poor that you own.

Post by Jonboy1977 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:31 pm

Which consoles or machines do you own that have generally bad reputations and what are your honest opinions of them.

I own an Amstrad GX4000, and honestly, I actually enjoy playing on it. Sure the games were just games you could get on tape and were overpriced, but they were still good games to begin with.

I actually quite like burnin Rubber ( as long as youchange the controls and use the buttons as ACC and Brake ) I enjoy Robocop2, Barbarian 2, operation Thunderbolt, Batman, and Switchblade II is awesome. World of sporst is awfull though.

The CDI is poor IMO, and I am in the process of selling everything off. I only kept it because of the curiosity of the Zelda, and Mario games, and the fact the lightgun is one of the few that works on modern HD TVs and I can play mad dog mcree.

Actionmax, what a piece of crap. I own the original VHS versions of Hydrosub, Sonic Fury, and Pops Ghostly, and have downloade the rest and burned them to DVD ( you originally neede to hook the machine up to a VHS player, but can substitute the games with DVDs, and the VHS with a DVD player ) You might sa well watch a bluray movie and point a plastic toygun at the screen making pow pow noises and you would get the same amount of interactivity as the Actionmax.

Tiger GAME.COM Awful, just awful.

Hyperscan. Console where you play games and can add abilities to your character via trading cards. Pretty awful machine but they are pretty new and you can get them boxed new with extra games and cards for around £50. I only got one because of all the Marvel licensed games.

3DO, I actually love my 3DO and wish it had more of a chance. I still have my launch one. I was around 15-16 at the time and had very little disposable cash. I walked in the House one day and my DAD told me my uncle had left something for me, It was a brand new 3DO with games. My Uncle worked away and loves his games. Money was not really an issue for him and he bought one to take back away with him, he tried it, did not like it and left it behind for me. Its given me plenty of enjoyment throughout the years.
Life is What passes you by while you are too busy making plans.

Maturity is Overrated.

che_don_john

Re: Consoles that are considered poor that you own.

Post by che_don_john » Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:58 pm

32X.

In my defense, I was 12 years old and I really wanted to play Chaotix...
CheDonJohn's Sale/Trade/Wanted/Giveaway thread

PSN ID, XBL Gamertag and Steam: CheDonJohn
Playfire profile

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:12 pm

I don't have any consoles/computers that would be considered poor but always fancied a 3DO. It looks quite a tidy piece of kit even now. The CD32 was another one I always thought of collecting for but just haven't got round to it.
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:21 pm

Action max
No, it really is arse

Jonboy1977

Post by Jonboy1977 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:24 pm

DPrinny wrote:Action max
No, it really is arse

Its only worth getting if you want it as a collectors item, because as a gaming machine it has nothing whatsoever to offer.

Maturity is Overrated.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:45 pm

Jaguar - has its charms despite what the majority conceived wisdom of teh internets says

32X - bought this a couple of years ago just for the hell of it, has some quality games but not many, glad I own it though

N64 - a disappointment to many including Nintendo themselves but just about worth bothering with for the handful of decent games it had

Virtual Boy - much derided but I personally love the console as much for its quirkiness as for its games

3DO - only have a few games for this but what I have has impressed me

CDi - a waste of money that I really should put on eBay

Amiga CD32 - bought this a couple of years ago and have amassed quite a sizeable games collection, a relatively hassle-free way of owning an Amiga

Amstrad GX4000 - heaven knows why I bought this a couple of years ago as it's an abomination

Gizmondo - another much derided system which I quite enjoy owning, especially so for the excellent Trail Blazer and POD: Point of Destruction
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

Jonboy1977

Post by Jonboy1977 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:53 pm

DreamcastRIP wrote:Jaguar - has its charms despite what the majority conceived wisdom of teh internets says

32X - bought this a couple of years ago just for the hell of it, has some quality games but not many, glad I own it though

N64 - a disappointment to many including Nintendo themselves but just about worth bothering with for the handful of decent games it had

Virtual Boy - much derided but I personally love the console as much for its quirkiness as for its games

3DO - only have a few games for this but what I have has impressed me

CDi - a waste of money that I really should put on eBay

Amiga CD32 - bought this a couple of years ago and have amassed quite a sizeable games collection, a relatively hassle-free way of owning an Amiga

Amstrad GX4000 - heaven knows why I bought this a couple of years ago as it's an abomination

Gizmondo - another much derided system which I quite enjoy owning, especially so for the excellent Trail Blazer and POD: Point of Destruction

Can't disagree with any on that list really, but the N64 is widely regarded by most as a good machine. I would definitely say that overall it does not have a bad rep.

I totally agree with the CD32 though, not much to make you want one at the time, but having one now is a great and easy way of collecting amiga games. As a retro machine I think its actually quite a desirable machine simply because you can put 100s of amiga games on 1 cd and as long as you get a better controller you are good to go. Only reason I never added it to my list is that I no longer own one. May have to rectify that.

If you are lookingg at selling your CDI, then nows a decent time. I can't believe what people have paid for some of my CDI stuff on Ebay. Immediately redirected the funds towards megadrive, Snes, and Saturn stuff.

Maturity is Overrated.

jcdentont1000

Post by jcdentont1000 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:07 pm

Frankly, to me it doesn't even matter if a machine is poor, we all love retro gaming for different reasons but most of us will have one thing in common - the memories of playing them/receiving them in bygone years. We had a SNES with loads of boxed quality titles (I shudder to think what the lot would go for now) and swapped it all for a Mega CD and 32x - at the time we were chuffed and some of the games just make me smile for various reasons. Some of them are really censored in hindsight, sure, but the nostalgia is priceless. We had an Amiga CD32 at one time too and to this day I love that machine (even though I don't currently own one), watching my brother play Frontier Elite II for literally weekends at a time before going down the park to play football... being 10 or so and playing (and beating) my brother and his mates at Swos 95/96 on the Amiga disk drives rigged to the CD32 (the loser of the 'tournament' had to buy everyone a Mars Bar) timeless.

Sure, looking back now lots of the games and consoles owned at various points were garbage, but they were our garbage, therefore I could never own a console that I had as a kid and not love it purely for the memories. If I picked up a Game.Com now or whatever, sure, it'd be crap because the sentiment isn't there.
XBox 360 Gamertag: jcdentont1000
Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: TBC (Now, where did I leave my 3DS..)

"Trust no one. Question everything."

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:10 pm

Jonboy1977 wrote:Can't disagree with any on that list really, but the N64 is widely regarded by most as a good machine. I would definitely say that overall it does not have a bad rep.

I totally agree with the CD32 though, not much to make you want one at the time, but having one now is a great and easy way of collecting amiga games. As a retro machine I think its actually quite a desirable machine simply because you can put 100s of amiga games on 1 cd and as long as you get a better controller you are good to go. Only reason I never added it to my list is that I no longer own one. May have to rectify that.

If you are lookingg at selling your CDI, then nows a decent time. I can't believe what people have paid for some of my CDI stuff on Ebay. Immediately redirected the funds towards megadrive, Snes, and Saturn stuff.
The N64 certainly isn't widely regarded as a great console on this forum at least! Overall though, I'd say it had a pretty mediocre rep given how poorly it sold relative to PlayStation and also for how much of a crushing disappointment it must have been for Nintendo relative to the success of its predecessor.

Yep, we certainly seem to share similar views regarding the Amiga CD32. I'd never have bought one at the time of release but doing so since then makes plenty of sense for the reasons you've given. Saying that, I've not sought to compile any CD-Rs for it in the way you mentioned as I've no desire for software piracy. Each to their own and all that...

Thanks for the tip re: CD-i on eBay these days! :D
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

Jonboy1977

Post by Jonboy1977 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:23 pm

DreamcastRIP wrote:
Jonboy1977 wrote:Can't disagree with any on that list really, but the N64 is widely regarded by most as a good machine. I would definitely say that overall it does not have a bad rep.

The N64 certainly isn't widely regarded as a great console on this forum at least! Overall though, I'd say it had a pretty mediocre rep given how poorly it sold relative to PlayStation and also for how much of a crushing disappointment it must have been for Nintendo relative to the success of its predecessor.

Yep, we certainly seem to share similar views regarding the Amiga CD32. I'd never have bought one at the time of release but doing so since then makes plenty of sense for the reasons you've given. Saying that, I've not sought to compile any CD-Rs for it in the way you mentioned as I've no desire for software piracy. Each to their own and all that...

Thanks for the tip re: CD-i on eBay these days! :D
As a fellow Dreamcast fan though, You more than anyone realise that sometimes a truly great console with great games does not sell so well.

In all honestly, I have heard nothing but love for the N64 on these forums ( apart from the controller ) If you consider tha its games that make a console then all you have to do is look at how people regard Zelda, Mario, Perfecr Dark, Goldeneye etc.

I am not a big fan of Piracy, but a lot of the Amiga games copyrights have run out and there is a lot of good public domain stuff.

Maturity is Overrated.

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:26 pm

Worst games machines I have owned

Tiger Game.com - in its defence I paid next to nothing for it - but its gameplay was very poor - Mortal Kombat yuk.
Cd-I - bought it for £10 with a massive box of games and movies - sadly most of the games were gash.
Amiga cd32 - Quite honestly none of the games impressed me at all.I loved my Amiga 500 and the games on that were way better.

There are quite a few Ive never owned that I probably never will either - simply because of lack of software to interest me.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:44 pm

Jonboy1977 wrote:As a fellow Dreamcast fan though, You more than anyone realise that sometimes a truly great console with great games does not sell so well.

In all honestly, I have heard nothing but love for the N64 on these forums ( apart from the controller ) If you consider tha its games that make a console then all you have to do is look at how people regard Zelda, Mario, Perfecr Dark, Goldeneye etc.

I am not a big fan of Piracy, but a lot of the Amiga games copyrights have run out and there is a lot of good public domain stuff.
Yep, as a DC owner from day one I sadly more than appreciate great consoles don't always succeed as they perhaps deserved to have done. History is littered with such examples, e.g. the aforementioned DC, NGP/NGPC, Saturn (outside Japan), GameCube, etc.

In that case I humbly recommend you do a little digging for past threads as you'll discover the N64 has proved quite a divisive console here. Some love it, others think it sucked.

Insofar as my own opinion of the console, I originally stated ".. just about worth bothering with for the handful of decent games it had". To elaborate a little, the only N64 game I truly adore playing is Robotron 64 but there are a clutch of others I'm okay with, e.g. F-Zero X and Tetrisphere plus the Wii VC download of Sin & Punishment. I personally don't care for Super Mario 64, the Mario spin-offs and the Zelda games.

The console sold poorly relative to PlayStation and SNES so it evidently wasn't particularly well received at the time. Maybe since then it's come to be viewed more positively by the mainstream, i.e. those outside of the Ninty diehards.

Out of interest, which commercially released Amiga games have the "copyrights have run out" on?

Jonboy1977

Post by Jonboy1977 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:48 pm

DreamcastRIP wrote:
Jonboy1977 wrote:As a fellow Dreamcast fan though, You more than anyone realise that sometimes a truly great console with great games does not sell so well.

Yep, as a DC owner from day one I sadly more than appreciate great consoles don't always succeed as they perhaps deserved to have done. History is littered with such examples, e.g. the aforementioned DC, NGP/NGPC, Saturn (outside Japan), GameCube, etc.

In that case I humbly recommend you do a little digging for past threads as you'll discover the N64 has proved quite a divisive console here. Some love it, others think it sucked.

Insofar as my own opinion of the console, I originally stated ".. just about worth bothering with for the handful of decent games it had". To elaborate a little, the only N64 game I truly adore playing is Robotron 64 but there are a clutch of others I'm okay with, e.g. F-Zero X and Tetrisphere plus the Wii VC download of Sin & Punishment. I personally don't care for Super Mario 64, the Mario spin-offs and the Zelda games.

The console sold poorly relative to PlayStation and SNES so it evidently wasn't particularly well received at the time. Maybe since then it's come to be viewed more positively by the mainstream, i.e. those outside of the Ninty diehards.

Out of interest, which commercially released Amiga games have the "copyrights have run out" on?
To be perfectly honest, I could not tell you. I just remember I was looking at getting one a couple of years back and there was a website that listed games that we perfectly legal to download for various reasons. A lot of them the developers or publishers decided to openn them up to the public. Sort of how a lot of classic PC games have been made available to download for free.

Maturity is Overrated.

AmigaJay

Post by AmigaJay » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:55 pm

Yes i doubt he meant 'copyright' in itself, as a copyright can run from 50-70 years after the program was made http://www.caret.cam.ac.uk/copyright/Page171.html.
Probably meant the game itself has been made freely available to download in the public domain, although of course the copyright still remains you just dont have to pay for the game...you still cant copy the contents.

Jonboy1977

Post by Jonboy1977 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:58 pm

AmigaJay wrote:Yes i doubt he meant 'copyright' in itself, as a copyright can run from 50-70 years after the program was made http://www.caret.cam.ac.uk/copyright/Page171.html.
Probably meant the game itself has been made freely available to download in the public domain, although of course the copyright still remains you just dont have to pay for the game...you still cant copy the contents.
Yeah it was something like that, I may have misread the info.

Never bothered to do it due to the fact that, Like DCRIP said, I dont like piracy and would have to be 100% sure its legal first.

Maturity is Overrated.