Games that you used to love but no longer interest you.

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

crusto

Games that you used to love but no longer interest you.

Post by crusto » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:30 pm

For me its SF2, I used to love this way back when and played the Snes version to death. But I have tried to play it again just last week and really could not be bothered with it, or see the appeal of it tbh. Totally lost the love. I suppose the warning signs were there when I bought SF4 and returned it the same day. No appeal what so ever.
Last edited by crusto on Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eat your nans pants

The Laird

Re: Games that you once loved but no longer interest you.

Post by The Laird » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:30 pm

Wierd one this but Wrestle War on the Megadrive, I loved this game when I was younger but nowadays it just seems absolute crap.

GigaPepsiMan

Post by GigaPepsiMan » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:35 pm

Street Fighter and the MArvel vs Capcom games I have lost interest in. I've always been on and off with stuff like Fifa, I get my hands on a copy and I suddenly start playing it loads.
Also I've noticed a trend where I'll play a game, become obsessed for a while then fter some times I'll stop caring and trade the game or sell it and never think about playing it again.
Rayman Ravin Rabbids 1&2 are two of my best personal examples, adored them at the time (well I totally adored the first anyway) and then TV party came out, I didn't buy it and I stopped caring.

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:41 pm

I still enjoy Street fighter just not number 4 which didn't appeal to me at all. Wished it had stayed completely 2D as I don't appreciate the character animation in 4.

Loved Jet Set Radio & Castlevania SOTN at the time but would never return to them now. The same goes for Quazatron & Elite, brilliant games though they were.
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

Roo

Post by Roo » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:55 pm

Soul Calibur 2 was the absolute bollocks back in 2003, but when I picked it up again at the end of last year and spent an hour with it, I was decidedly unenthused.

There'll be many, many others...

Misery

Post by Misery » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:13 pm

crusto wrote:For me its SF2, I used to love this way back when and played the Snes version to death. But I have tried to play it again just last week and really could not be bothered with it, or see the appeal of it tbh. Totally lost the love. I suppose the warning signs were there when I bought SF4 and returned it the same day. No appeal what so ever.

I can agree with this one.

I'm a total fighting game fanatic, but while I USED to play SF2, ahh, the entire series now.... just, feh. Matches in that tend to be much too slow-moving. SF4 is the worst. I've at least given it a proper, fair go, but in the end that game just bores me.

And someone mentioned Soul Calibur, that one too. Used to like the first 2 games.... now cant stand entire series.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:23 pm

Sadly, it's Joust.Cannot quite put my finger on it, maybe i hammered it too hard on the 2600 etc, but just feel nothing for it these days.Also worthy of a mention:

Original Call Of Duty, played to death on PC, along with it's exp.pack, bought it again on PSN, gave up in frustration after a few hours.

Monty On The Run C64:Completed at the time (much younger then) now...Rant-Fest at how hard it is (unfair...sulks).

Rampart-A Lynx fav.of mine, again picked up on PSN, switched off and wiped after few goes.

Halo-Played original to death, but no interest in getting the HD remake on 360.Perfect Dark:Loved the N64 original, bought 360 HD remake, was doing alright till last level, now?just cannot be doing with it.

WTF is happening to my tastes in games?.

mlucifersam

Post by mlucifersam » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:36 pm

I look at some of the games I went out and paid full price for back in the 80s and I have NO idea what attracted me enough to actually make that purchase. They are games that wouldn't even interest me today. Spectrum titles like 'SkyFox', 'Stainless Steel', 'Shadow Skimmer' & 'Rasterscan'. My tastes must have changed completely since then. Very odd.
Mark R. Jones

Ocean Software Ltd FB page: http://www.facebook.com/OceanSoftwareLtd
Ultimate Play The Game FB page: https://www.facebook.com/ultimateptg

Budly Moore

Post by Budly Moore » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:16 pm

I used to love Sonic games, the MD ones anyway. I guess they've been rammed down our throat's too much over the years.

Rinoa

Re: Games that you used to love but no longer interest you.

Post by Rinoa » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:35 am

I used to be a huge Unreal Tournament fan. UT2003 is probably one of my most played games, but I don't bother with the series anymore. As fun as the vehicles can be, they've kind of taken the joy out of the series for me. I've also lost the love for PC gaming and as it's a FPS I don't tend to play them on consoles (nothing beats a keyboard and mouse). Oh well.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:45 am

I thought the same about SFII. I didn't like SFIV (it is just SF EX!!!), the animation is rubbish and the jumping felt all wrong. When I got the SNES last year it came with the usual Street Fighter games and I got hooker on Super again. I played it everyday for about two months!

I think timing can be very important.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

Mr Kipling

Post by Mr Kipling » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:11 am

Gran Turismo. I've completed 1, 2, 3, Concept, 4 Prologue and Tourist Trophy all to 100% completion, so you could say I was a bit of a fan of the franchise. Then suffered major burnout during 4, when I realised Polyphony Digital had absolutely no intention of even attempting to deal with the same old tedious issues that had been present from the very first game. I play games to have fun, and when it dawned on me that this 'game' had just turned into a miserable, never ending grinding session I deleted my game save and have never gone back.

I've had my fill of them, and unless the franchise is entirely re-booted I won't be touching another..

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:14 am

Actually there is one Mr Kipling. I do still like GT and when playing 1-2 I do still get involved. But GT4 was so sterile I never really bothered with it. Had a few goes on GT5 recently and I cannot see what the fuss is about. It looks pretty rough and the gameplay feels so similar. I personally think Forza 4 has finally eclipsed the series in terms of visuals and racing feel.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

Mr Kipling

Post by Mr Kipling » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:27 am

nakamura wrote:Actually there is one Mr Kipling. I do still like GT and when playing 1-2 I do still get involved. But GT4 was so sterile I never really bothered with it. Had a few goes on GT5 recently and I cannot see what the fuss is about. It looks pretty rough and the gameplay feels so similar. I personally think Forza 4 has finally eclipsed the series in terms of visuals and racing feel.
When I finally make the jump to the current gen, it'll be a 360 and a copy of Forza 4. Apparently that game's a bit grind-tastic too, but at least it'll be a change of scenery..

Yeah, GT4's interface tried to be all slick and cool with it's Kasabian intro (vomiting emoticon) but failed miserably IMHO. When I do occasionally feel like a quick GT arcade blast on the PS2 I always pick GT3. Mainly for the fact it's more simple, upbeat, has a better soundtrack and if you play on 'Pro' difficulty the AI don't seem to be as abjectly useless as they are in GT4..

pratty

Post by pratty » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:10 am

nakamura wrote:.... I got hooker.....
Freudian slip? :wink:

I used to like Madden games and wrestling games but no so much now. I just haven't followed the NFL closely enough to be interested in Madden anymore.

I still watch wrestling but I generally only play with my own created characters which take ages to create, I just don't have the time anymore. That said if AKI made another proper wrestling game I'd be all over it.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823