worst game boxes and packaging.

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Jonboy1977

worst game boxes and packaging.

Post by Jonboy1977 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:19 am

I personally hate DVD boxes, they just seem cheap lightweight and Bland. However they are still better than the Pal Saturn boxes and the completely godawfull USsaturn boxes.

I also really dislike the Playstation and dreamcasts flimsy cases as well.

I know they are prone to getting tatty ane easily damaged, But I have always liked cardboard boxes, something about them just makes the artwork look better, I also love the japanese saturn, Dreamcast, Neo geo cd standard CD cases. I dont know why but I just prefer them especially in combination with the Japanese artwork.

Another favourite is Neo geo pockets little shock boxes, they look great.

I only really started thinking about this recently because of my gamecube boxes, they all look cheap, and I have recently been buying Japanese Gamecube games and they look so much better, the boxes are smaller and look better and come in a nice looking cardboard sleeve.

What game packaging do you guys like / Dislike.
Life is What passes you by while you are too busy making plans.

Maturity is Overrated.

Space_turnip

Re: worst game boxes and packaging.

Post by Space_turnip » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:26 am

Yeah, for some reason I read the OP, and still posted the following reply thinking it was 'best' boxes and packaging. I have no idea why. Blame the superbowl.

---

Are you talking about artwork or the actual cases though?
If it's the former, Japanese games win most of the time. If cases, not so much.

Plus, if we're talking about durability, most of my favourite cases would be classed as awful. If we're talking how well they keep games safe and their resistance to damage, then it's MD, SMS and NGPC for me all the way.

For actual look of boxes though, I'd say top 3 would be:

Saturn PAL - I LIKE the long boxes, despite their awful durability. A nice condition cardboard Saturn case looks amazing imo.

Dreamcast - I like the cases, again awful durability, but I think they look distinctive, smart and more interesting than standard CD cases or the PAL PS1 cases.

PSP - not sure what it is about it, but the size of them seems to fit the PSP perfectly.
Last edited by Space_turnip on Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:30 am

SNES boxes have to be the worst, bloody terrible design.

The best are by far the Megadrive clam shells.

noobish hat

Post by noobish hat » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:39 am

Obviously have to agree on cardboard. Has an extra appeal now because they don't use it anymore. Remember how it was to go into a shop and see rows of snes boxes all lined up - beautiful. My favourite is probably the Game Boy game box. It's perfectly square, and when it was wrapped up as a present, you knew exactly what it was.

DVD boxes are censored, especially 360 games. Never much minded Saturn cases though, unless they were a pain in the censored to open, which lots of them were. Just look at Resident Evil though - that's a lovely Saturn game to hold in your hands.

Small shout out to Pokemon Mini games. That's more for the tiny cartridge though, really.

Jonboy1977

Post by Jonboy1977 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:44 am

Space_turnip wrote:Yeah, for some reason I read the OP, and still posted the following reply thinking it was 'best' boxes and packaging. I have no idea why. Blame the superbowl.

---

Are you talking about artwork or the actual cases though?
If it's the former, Japanese games win most of the time. If cases, not so much.

Plus, if we're talking about durability, most of my favourite cases would be classed as awful. If we're talking how well they keep games safe and their resistance to damage, then it's MD, SMS and NGPC for me all the way.

For actual look of boxes though, I'd say top 3 would be:

Saturn PAL - I LIKE the long boxes, despite their awful durability. A nice condition cardboard Saturn case looks amazing imo.

Dreamcast - I like the cases, again awful durability, but I think they look distinctive, smart and more interesting than standard CD cases or the PAL PS1 cases.

PSP - not sure what it is about it, but the size of them seems to fit the PSP perfectly.

Overall really, take into account artwork, and how the case shows off that artwork, and just the overall look of the packaging.

Maturity is Overrated.

ShadowNeku

Post by ShadowNeku » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:02 am

I really like Wonderswan boxes. They're small, slim, space conservative and not unnecessarily bulky with consideration to whats in them (im looking at you GBA boxes). Most of them have very nice colourful artwork and the plastic tray inside keeps the box from getting flattened.

Mint condition PS1 games also look lovely but thats only because most you pick up are cracked, scratched up, missing front covers or have broken hinges. You breathe too hard on a PS1 case and you'll get a crack in the middle! I also hate the way the front cover "dips" if you dont have a chunky manual inside.
I asked for orange. It gave me lemon lime!

JazzFunk

Post by JazzFunk » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:20 am

I actually really liked the last 'wave' of PAL Saturn cases, they were a bit like DVD cases but better quality, and with a nice 'grain effect' to them, oodles better than the minging card boxes.

PAL DC and PAL PS1 go without saying, they were terrible. Always hate the way the cover inlay always seems to 'buckle' on the PAL PS1 cases, and the DC ones also had the problem of being made from super-brittle plastic. Awful.

GBA card boxes suck @arse, too, 90% of mine are crushed in some manner. PAL Megadrive boxes weren't bad but the added 'hangflaps' and the extra-cuddly, imprisoning 'hooks' for the cartridges were bad additions compared to the neat simplicity of the JP boxes.

CD jewel cases all the way, wish they'd all adopted that packaging - easy to replace, easy to store, was a no-brainer, really (seems they had less than no brains).

A final dishonorable mention goes to those one-piece dual-tape boxes beloved of Martech etc., ie. the ones with the 'clicky clip' that tended to snap off and leave said tape cases unable to be closed properly.

noobish hat

Post by noobish hat » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:29 am

JazzFunk wrote:I actually really liked the last 'wave' of PAL Saturn cases, they were a bit like DVD cases but better quality, and with a nice 'grain effect' to them, oodles better than the minging card boxes.
Ah, actually this is what I meant. I about the crappy card ones. I think I have Saturn Bomberman and Nights that have got torn covers thanks to stickers on the card. Resi and Street Fighter Collection o nthe other hand are still looking very nice.

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:44 am

What about EA's Saturn cases - unnecessarily thick, they're like 80s rental VHS cases. Some even have two clips for the discs, so they look like holders for the spools of tape!

Also, Lynx boxes - all the other problems associated with cardboard, coupled with the fact the actual card Atari used is barely thicker than paper.

resident paul

Post by resident paul » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:03 am

The PC, Amiga & ST boxes although nice to look at are terrible to store away as they bulky at times & not a universal size.

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:12 am

I love the little Japanese GBA boxes along with the Japanese Gamecube plastic ones.

Evilhead

Post by Evilhead » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:12 am

Any cardboard boxes. Hate hate hate hate HATE them. True, you can sometimes find a cardboard box game in minty condition, but unless it's for a really common game it's going to cost you. And even opening it will damage it. So for systems that have cardboard boxes (Famicom, Game Boy, etc), I just collect loose carts. I love the Japanese Mark III and SG-1000, but it's so rare that I'll find a game in like-new condition, even if it is actually unopened. They just take shelf wear so badly.

Favorites are the clamshell Megadrive/Genesis/Master System games. They look great, are solid, protect the game and instructions perfectly, and just feel nice in your hands. They are big enough to feel significant without being too big and clumsy like the long Mega CD/Saturn cases.

Misery

Post by Misery » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:17 am

I love the boxes for Atari 2600 games, in particular. Also boxes from games in that era in general, but the 2600 ones the most.

I found a few of them (with games of course) in near-mint condition at a local game store relatively recently, and I take one look and am like "Holy crap BOXES!!!!11", much to the extreme bewilderment of a friend that was with me at the time.

I think I bought *all* of them from that store that they had, lol. That was a really great haul. They were good games, too. Like Reactor, I hadnt played that one before, and it's really, really good.

AmigaJay

Post by AmigaJay » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:32 am

The worst boxes by far imo are SNES (pal and us ntsc) jap ones arent too bad by being smaller and thinner, and Sega Saturn Pal boxes, truly, truly awful boxes...even the naff long 3Do boxes are better in comparison and thats saying something!
My favourite by a country mile as someone has already said, is the Neo-Geo Pocket clamshell boxes, small, look great and probably bomb-proof to boot!

Jonboy1977

Post by Jonboy1977 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:38 am

Gonna put my flameproof hat on for this one.

Amstrad gx4000 boxes, I actually like them.

Maturity is Overrated.