Gradius V

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Sel Feena

Re: Gradius V

Post by Sel Feena » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:40 am

Mootown wrote:I can 1CC R-Type Final on most of the routes - it's a memory / learning game and relies on good old pattern learning but ultimately isn't really that difficult once you've put the time in.

Gradius V - I can't even get a little good at this, it's soooooo hard. Even when you know it, I think it requires more skill than R-Type does.
If it's anything like Gradius III, I'd be stuffed; last time I played that I couldn't get off the first stage. :oops:

harlequ1n

Post by harlequ1n » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:12 am

I have the Gradius Collection for PSP and damn are all the games hard as nails! As for R-Type, Delta (smuggled from NA PSN store) on PSOne is still my favourite. I really need to make a Japanese account and grab some of the STGs there...

JazzFunk

Post by JazzFunk » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:24 am

GV is a fantastic game, just keep on pushing away at it and it gives you more credits the more you die. One of the very best games on PS2.

I only have one bugbear with it and it's the slightly wispy-feeling lasers, I wish they had gone for the solid whitey-blue ones of the original Nemesis/Gradius, they somehow felt more destructive and 'drill-like'.

crusto

Post by crusto » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:32 am

JazzFunk wrote:GV is a fantastic game, just keep on pushing away at it and it gives you more credits the more you die. One of the very best games on PS2.

I only have one bugbear with it and it's the slightly wispy-feeling lasers, I wish they had gone for the solid whitey-blue ones of the original Nemesis/Gradius, they somehow felt more destructive and 'drill-like'.
What weapon array do you use? Ive settled on number 4, I love the rotating multiples. Number 1 is useful too.

Eat your nans pants

JazzFunk

Post by JazzFunk » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:46 am

^I haven't played it for a bit but I like the lasers plus the 'locking' multiples, can see you through a lot of bother once you get used to them. ;)

Smurph

Post by Smurph » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:27 pm

JazzFunk wrote:^I haven't played it for a bit but I like the lasers plus the 'locking' multiples, can see you through a lot of bother once you get used to them. ;)
^This. Still pants at it though.
Antiriad2097 wrote:There is no in or out, just a constant state of retro gamer.
Nowloading.co.uk My Retrobate Profile

sscott

Post by sscott » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:00 pm

Looks beautiful but find it too hard. Have done 2 player with Felgekarp a few times but we don't get much further. even the first end of level boss is tough!

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:20 pm

I like Gradius V but there's a point where it's almost impossibile to get back up to speed after a death, probably the 3rd stage or so, and you may aswell call it a day.

weakboson

Post by weakboson » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:34 pm

Never got very far with this game, it destroys me. It would be good to tackle it properly one day, though. It must take incredible skill to reach the later stages, never mind 1CC it.

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:16 pm

Awesome game, makes my PS2slim take off the disc is spinning so fast :) A 1cc takes some skill I imagine, but also a whole lot of stamina. My only problem with game is the length, it's just too long, I never really spent time playing for scores.

AlleyKat

Post by AlleyKat » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:55 am

Fightersmegamix wrote:A 1cc takes some skill I imagine, but also a whole lot of stamina. My only problem with game is the length, it's just too long, I never really spent time playing for scores.
I've come to think that this is the games flaw, actually. The first level alone is the equivalent to, what, maybe two-three levels in any of the previous entries- its just too much of a slog, despite the beautiful visuals and music. I think that may be why Gaiden, or even ReBirth on the Wii, would be my modern Gradius of choice ahead of 5.
speed/missile/double/laser/option/?

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:00 am

I don't think I have ever completed level 1.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

AlleyKat

Post by AlleyKat » Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:04 am

No shame in playing on easy in this game, dude.
speed/missile/double/laser/option/?

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:40 am

A great game. I got second-hand for my PS2. It is tricky. A shame that there will be no Gradius 6.

Lettuce

Post by Lettuce » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:18 pm

Gradius Gaiden and Gradius V are the best in the series as far as im concered, fantastic games! They really need to release a HD port of it on xbla and psn