Gradius V

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

crusto

Gradius V

Post by crusto » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:41 am

Ive owned this game for ages, but barely played it because it was an impulse buy, just before I bought my 360. But ive dusted off my ps2 this week, and this was first game on my to play list. I cant believe how good it is. Fantastic graphics, slick gameplay and a nightmare of a challenge. I cant put it down. An absolutely superb shooter. I have forgotten how much fun a good shmup can be.

Konami need to get to work on Gradius 6, or maybe a HD reboot of the entire series, including Salamander and Parodius.

I just had to get that off my chest :D

Im off to find R-Type delta..I know I have it, somewhere.

Eat your nans pants

che_don_john

Re: Gradius V

Post by che_don_john » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:36 am

Agreed, it's brilliant. I'm absolutely pony at it, mind, but still enjoy it nonetheless! R-Type Final is also a decent one for the PS2.

Niether come close to Ikaruga, though.
CheDonJohn's Sale/Trade/Wanted/Giveaway thread

PSN ID, XBL Gamertag and Steam: CheDonJohn
Playfire profile

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:04 am

Gradius + Treasure = best idea anyone ever had.

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:27 am

crusto wrote:Ive owned this game for ages, but barely played it because it was an impulse buy, just before I bought my 360. But ive dusted off my ps2 this week, and this was first game on my to play list. I cant believe how good it is. Fantastic graphics, slick gameplay and a nightmare of a challenge. I cant put it down. An absolutely superb shooter. I have forgotten how much fun a good shmup can be.

Konami need to get to work on Gradius 6, or maybe a HD reboot of the entire series, including Salamander and Parodius.

Glad you're enjoying it, It's never out of my top ten shmups of all time!! G.Rev also helped Treasure with the game's development. It just shows what happens when three companies with such an amazing shmup pedigree work together..

If you can play imports I'd give Gradius Gaiden (PS1) a go too, a close second to Gradius 5 in terms of the series in my opinion.

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:55 am

It was really Treasure going back to their roots wasn't it? As most of those guys came from Konami originally, and some of them are known to have worked on Axelay, I'd also hazard a guess some of them worked on Salamander as those 2 games share loads in common

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:24 am

Mootown wrote:It was really Treasure going back to their roots wasn't it? As most of those guys came from Konami originally, and some of them are known to have worked on Axelay, I'd also hazard a guess some of them worked on Salamander as those 2 games share loads in common
You do get the feeling it was Konami's last great shooter, Otomedius is fun but it's a different game and a different direction. You're right mate the personel shaped this game perfectly and their experience is ingrained in the game. I love it when you get further into the game and it turns into a boss rush with core after core being thrown at you, it's exhilarating.

Gradius 6 was mentioned before the launch of the PS3 as a possible early title but the project didn't go anywhere and was quietly cancelled I seem to remember.

James A

Post by James A » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:19 pm

Great game but bloody difficult. Haven't managed to get past the Tarantula like boss on level three or four. Always find with the Gradius game once you loose that first life then thats it you don't stand a chance.

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:21 pm

James A wrote:Great game but bloody difficult. Haven't managed to get past the Tarantula like boss on level three or four. Always find with the Gradius game once you loose that first life then thats it you don't stand a chance.
Yep it's a toughie, at least you can retrieve your options!! It takes the edge off it a tiny bit

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:23 pm

gmintyfresh wrote:
James A wrote:Great game but bloody difficult. Haven't managed to get past the Tarantula like boss on level three or four. Always find with the Gradius game once you loose that first life then thats it you don't stand a chance.
Yep it's a toughie, at least you can retrieve your options!! It takes the edge off it a tiny bit
That's the Salamander coming out in your Gradius!

harlequ1n

Post by harlequ1n » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:46 pm

I love this game as well, but it's so bloody hard!!! Can never make it past level 4... just like R-Type Final, I love the games but I don't have the skills and patience to practice in order to fulfil my dream of 1CC an STG.

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:00 pm

I can 1CC R-Type Final on most of the routes - it's a memory / learning game and relies on good old pattern learning but ultimately isn't really that difficult once you've put the time in.

Gradius V - I can't even get a little good at this, it's soooooo hard. Even when you know it, I think it requires more skill than R-Type does.

crusto

Post by crusto » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:44 pm

che_don_john wrote:Agreed, it's brilliant. I'm absolutely pony at it, mind, but still enjoy it nonetheless! R-Type Final is also a decent one for the PS2.

Niether come close to Ikaruga, though.
Thats what I meant! R-Type final. I bought it dead cheap ages ago. I just cant remember where it is. Ikaruga? Havent played it. But I might get hold of it now that ive re-ignited my love for the shmup!

Eat your nans pants

famicom69

Post by famicom69 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:53 pm

Always preferred Salamander to Gradius, but I managed to pick up V for £15 yesterday at the local import shop. The owner was hoping it wouldn't go as he fancied a blast on it. Been on my shopping list for a while, safe to say I'll be setting up the PS2 tonight :)

crusto

Post by crusto » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:55 pm

gmintyfresh wrote:
crusto wrote:Ive owned this game for ages, but barely played it because it was an impulse buy, just before I bought my 360. But ive dusted off my ps2 this week, and this was first game on my to play list. I cant believe how good it is. Fantastic graphics, slick gameplay and a nightmare of a challenge. I cant put it down. An absolutely superb shooter. I have forgotten how much fun a good shmup can be.

Glad you're enjoying it, It's never out of my top ten shmups of all time!! G.Rev also helped Treasure with the game's development. It just shows what happens when three companies with such an amazing shmup pedigree work together..

If you can play imports I'd give Gradius Gaiden (PS1) a go too, a close second to Gradius 5 in terms of the series in my opinion.
Would that work on PS3? Ive heard that ps1 games still work on the slim ps3's. If its the same Gradius Gaiden as on the PSP collection then I would like to play it on the big screen. As I struggle to play games like this on a small screen. My eyes are shot :shock:

Eat your nans pants

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:26 pm

crusto wrote:
gmintyfresh wrote:

Would that work on PS3? Ive heard that ps1 games still work on the slim ps3's. If its the same Gradius Gaiden as on the PSP collection then I would like to play it on the big screen. As I struggle to play games like this on a small screen. My eyes are shot :shock:
It'd only work on one of those old PS3's, even though the slim plays ps1 games it's bloody region locked - insanity!! Yes Gaiden is on the PSP collection, but playing it on the big screen does do it justice!