Bad times for the games industry

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

jdanddiet

Re: Bad times for the games industry

Post by jdanddiet » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:05 am

RetroBob wrote:Said it on the other other thread about this topic - but I think there's a slow industry crash going on.
Which industry?
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:28 am

The err pharma industry - what else would we be talking about in this forum?
Xbox Live: RetroBob

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:38 am

RetroBob wrote:The err pharma industry - what else would we be talking about in this forum?
my point was bob there's a of industries enduring a slow crash at the moment.
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:19 pm

Ahh, I thought you were joking - but yeah I see what you mean.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

AmigaJay

Post by AmigaJay » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:30 pm

Theres not a games crash of any kind going on, sales are up year on year for ps3, sony only posted loses due to price cut and other mismanagements, wii and xbox sales are still strong but have dropped due to new machines in the next 12-18 months....along with the strong console business' android and ios gaming is going from.strength to strength....like i said business' post loses every other month, its just because we gave like 4 things at once its the start of the end.....oh hold on its 2012 it must be!

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:06 pm

'By far the biggest loss making of Sony’s divisions was their Consumer Products and Services (CPS) division, where all your favourite Sony gadgets are made.  Its global sales fell over 24% leading to the division recording a loss of ¥85.7bn ($1.1bn, £0.7bn).  Primarily the fall is attributed to falling sales of LCD TVs in Japan, Europe and the U.S., a situation which is further exacerbated by unfavourable currency exchange rates.'

Maybe a major shake up at Sony is needed? Know they had high hopes for uptake of 3D TV's, but those hopes dashed, personally would'nt be surprised to see a new direction for the company in several key areas and yet more re-structuring within the management side.

:cry: Feelings go out to those 240 staff THQ have laid off, think we'll be seeing more stories like ones linked in this thread over the coming months, sadly.Economical climate is far from promising.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:30 pm

My take...

Game/HMV - just the next two victims of the current crap economy.
Capcom - As much as I love SF and any Capcom fighter, what else have they released recently (in terms of big-hitters)?.
Sony - Well, they're probably pouring money into developing the PS4 plus there's the Vita launch/marketing/manufacturing and recent disasters such as that warehouse by London that the dirty chavs burnt down.
THQ - Can't remember anything decent that they've published recently. Surely WWE games don't sell well enough to carry them alone?
DPrinny wrote:^EA can easily make there money back by bringing out another game with Fifa on the box.
Fifa 12 turbo
I don't give a toss about football but that title sounds worth buying! Slap 'Turbo' on the end of any game it becomes approximately 39% cooler :)

Some people seem to think that a future of just online retailers would be a good thing but guess what? It won't. Right now, online stores are trying to get your money by undercutting physical stores but if those outlets all went bust over time, you can bet those online prices would rise because there are less places to shop around. Watch the likes of Zavvi and Shopto suddenly forget the fact that online retailing doesn't need to pass on the costs of renting shop space.

As for the talk of a possible crash, it isn't impossible. People are going crazy for games like never before with all age groups getting involved,the likes of the Wii dominating to a crazy extent, sales records constantly being broken by the likes of CoD and punters going mad for online play. It looks very similar to the 80's crash where gaming took off then the market got saturated and imploded (in the US at least - don't need another lecture on how gaming was fine in the UK). This rampant success of modern gaming can't last forever and an implosion isn't out of the question.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:33 pm

GAME Group struggles under financial pressure -
Those stores usually have minimal new stock and usually just force-feed people console bundles. Plus, take a new copy of Skyrim to the till and get a 40min badgering from the sales staff on why you should buy the pre-owned version for a fiver less from them instead.

HMV 'still committed to games' -
HMV?!? Are they still even going? I haven't visited one in years, literally.

Capcom Losing Buckets of Money -
Capcom are evil profiteers. their DLC shills and bait and switch scams are the stuff of legend by now. No doubt they'll manage on their rabid fanbase eager to defend anything they do as long as they can play as Albert Wesker.

Sony posts £1.3 billion quarterly loss -
Sony are strangling themselves with everything they do, publicity-wise. And then they go and post churlish responses and demonise themselves even further. it's like they don't even want your custom any more. They couldn't get worse press if they started eating babies.

EA 'concerned' with GAME financial problems -
Don't care. They're already working on next-gen versions of their Sports franchises, and so will completely dominate
those, just like they've always done. How many FIFa's are we at now anyway? 15? 20?

THQ to cut 240 jobs, CEO takes 50% pay cut -
Sales and Admin staff losing their jobs? And this is news to gamers?
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:22 am

AmigaJay wrote:like i said business' post loses every other month, its just because we gave like 4 things at once its the start of the end.....oh hold on its 2012 it must be!
I don't think its the end . . . however gaming has seemed to be pretty "downturn proof" until recently. Maybe we all kidded ourselves that we'd come out of this quicker and easier than we are? Gaming is a luxury item.... they always get hit when people have less cash.

As for the High Street - whilst most of us gamers might not care for Game or HMV . . .it does have a negative impact on the industry, because there are a lot of people out there who are casual gamers . . .who might not make the effort to go on line and find something to play... who wander in and may a impluse purchase of "Cheerleader League" for the wii.... without those outlets, less gamers.....
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

mrmarvelxiii

Post by mrmarvelxiii » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:53 am

When staff at GAME stop approaching me saying things like: "have you got your Kinect yet" and "[following my enquiry reg. JRPGS] No we don't have it... do you want to pre-order Fifa?", I'll care :P
Chazz it up!!!

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:45 am

RetroBob wrote:Ahh, I thought you were joking - but yeah I see what you mean.
Who, me? :wink:

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:52 am

famicom69 wrote:I and a lot of other people would have forked out for a 3DS if Megaman Legends 3 got a release, alas.
I personally don't think the game would have sold well at all, it was always destined to die. Back when it was released the general concensus on among Megaman fans was either - I don't want a 3DS (this was back when they were more expensive mind) or the game is suited to a handheld.

Then when they announced another main character other than Volnutt they again complained that they didn't want part of the game to be taken up with a character that is not MM.

Then they complained that the demo that was previewed looked terrible.

Then ironically when Capcom finally killed the project they all freaked out anyway despite spending months complaining about every choice Capcom made. This obviously doesn't encompass the entire fandom but if you've ever been on the MM forums on Capcom Unity all they do is complain about everything!

I think Capcom's problem is due to the incremental releases for fighters. Look at MvC3, it didn't even last a year before they released a new version that made the old one obsolete (even though UMvC3 is a favourite of mine that move still took the censored). They released it at a bad time against heavy hitters and it underperformed :( Street Fighter X Tekken looks interesting but going by Capcom's track record they'll either release DLC for it right out the box (4 characters are already rumoured to be day one DLC) or they'll release a better version a year down the line. That's what ultimately killed their fighting franchises the first time around.

Then again I'd like to hope Capcom won't die, they are still my favourite company even if they make odd choices lately, if nothing else Resident Evil 6 should do very well for them (look at RE5, even with all the hate I believe still managed to be the best selling of the series so far)
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*