Trying to explain retro??!!

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

muse hunter

Re:

Post by muse hunter » Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:49 pm

Jonathan wrote:
StarEye wrote: I seriously hope that was a joke!
I may be wrong of course, but the majority of retro heads I've met are very intelligent, and appreciate how different aspects of gameplay work together. I bet a quick straw poll would reveal some frightening IQs on this forum.

:)
i think they're stupid, if the so called clueless are playing on the likes of dead rsing and oblivion the so called intelligent are stuck in a excellent game of pong?!?!

GetDexter

Post by GetDexter » Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:54 pm

Simple answer -

You cannot 'explain' retro. You simply get somebody to have a go of Mr Do, or Pacman on MAME. If they get it, they understand Retro.

If they don't, do your best to cut off all ties with them and don't send them a Christmas Card this year. :wink:
As requested by the Tw@t himself - his account was Hijacked and has had a change of password.

Sorry Dexter!

muse hunter

Re:

Post by muse hunter » Sat Dec 02, 2006 1:08 pm

GetDexter wrote:Simple answer -

You cannot 'explain' retro. You simply get somebody to have a go of Mr Do, or Pacman on MAME. If they get it, they understand Retro.

If they don't, do your best to cut off all ties with them and don't send them a Christmas Card this year. :wink:
most people though, like myself, would always take aa excellent brand new videogame over something we've seen before. I like retro but there is alwaya a sense of deja vu, been there done that, but new games are always better because its a completely new experience, i've played mario world a dozen times, but dead rising and oblivion were new and are all the better for it. I would always take an excellent new game over anything retro, no questions about it

GetDexter

Re:

Post by GetDexter » Sat Dec 02, 2006 1:15 pm

muse hunter wrote:

most people though, like myself, would always take aa excellent brand new videogame over something we've seen before. I like retro but there is alwaya a sense of deja vu, been there done that, but new games are always better because its a completely new experience, i've played mario world a dozen times, but dead rising and oblivion were new and are all the better for it. I would always take an excellent new game over anything retro, no questions about it
You have mentioned Oblivion a lot - I take it you like it. I have it for the PC and have already splashed out an extra £9 to download extra items from the official site. It's a great game. I love the open-endedness of it.
As requested by the Tw@t himself - his account was Hijacked and has had a change of password.

Sorry Dexter!

muse hunter

Re:

Post by muse hunter » Sat Dec 02, 2006 1:29 pm

GetDexter wrote:
muse hunter wrote:

You have mentioned Oblivion a lot - I take it you like it. I have it for the PC and have already splashed out an extra £9 to download extra items from the official site. It's a great game. I love the open-endedness of it.
truth, but i've only played it on other peoples systems. Need to get a 360 but i want i price drop to at least £200 first, either way fable 2 is the big game i'm looking forward to this gen, if it improves on the excellent original then its going to be quality.

Like you said, one of the positives with current gen gaming is that it gives you more freedom with each generation, retro games are restricted, very linear. Although i don't mind this one of the great things videogames can do is immerse you in a different world, when you play mario world you don't feel as part of that world, you do feel like a third person. But with more open ended games, when done right like in fable, vice city, or oblivion you really do feel like your part of that world where your actions can change things. Fable was really good at doing this, however slight it might be my actions did effect the world, it was quite a satisfactory experience walking into a bar to find either everyone cheering you on or eveyone cowering in fear.

Retro games just can't replicate that kind of experience, although retro games need to be a part in my videogame diet. Thats whats even better with consoles like the Wii and 360, it gives everyone the chance to have a slice of retro inbetween current gen gaming without the need of going down to gamestation, or a carboot, or paying for overpriced games on evilbay, which to be honest your average gamer is never going to do. I think retro will become even more popular now games can be downloaded legally for a fiver onto your home console.

fraser1

Post by fraser1 » Sat Dec 02, 2006 3:49 pm

You could also explain to your friend that just because we have great films and tv today using state of the art technology ,does this mean that the old award winning films & tv e.g alfred Hitchcocks , charlie chaplins ,james cagneys,laurel & hardy, twighlight zone,steptoe and son and other well know ones should now be binned or forgotten because they are old and not great to watch anymore ?

They were great then and still are now !

StarEye

Re:

Post by StarEye » Sat Dec 02, 2006 5:54 pm

muse hunter wrote:
Jonathan wrote:
I may be wrong of course, but the majority of retro heads I've met are very intelligent, and appreciate how different aspects of gameplay work together. I bet a quick straw poll would reveal some frightening IQs on this forum.

i think they're stupid, if the so called clueless are playing on the likes of dead rsing and oblivion the so called intelligent are stuck in a excellent game of pong?!?!
The issue here is the majority of the retro heads are, in fact, older and wiser. Not more intelligent. After all, the "retroheads" are peope who experienced these retro games back when they were young. The correct word to describe retroheads would probably be mature.

Randall Flagg

Re:

Post by Randall Flagg » Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:02 pm

Jonathan wrote:

No kiddin. Apparently at >180 I'm Genius level which scares me a bit????????!Although this does get less and less with every vodka!)
Retrotechy.
Zapp Brannigan Quote - You remind me of a younger me Fry, Not much younger mind, Perhaps even a little older... Image