Trying to explain retro??!!

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Randall Flagg

Trying to explain retro??!!

Post by Randall Flagg » Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:54 pm

My very good m8 has just bought an X-Box 360- and I spent the afternoon the other day round at his testin the machine ( it is very impressive).

I am currently trying to pick up a boxed vectrex from various auction sites for a close price to his X-Box 360.

Now this is where the problem comes up. He wants me to by a 360 so that we is goin head to head on Battlefield MC, I want the Vectrex.

I am tryin to explain to him about retro gamin. I start with the old "when games were worth playin" speech and go on to explain the "When games didn't need fancy 3d gfx to get you immersed" but am I gettin some stick for this.

WTF is the right arguement for this??!!
Retrotechy.
Zapp Brannigan Quote - You remind me of a younger me Fry, Not much younger mind, Perhaps even a little older... Image

StarEye

Post by StarEye » Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:04 pm

Some like old cars, some like new cars. There's no doubt as to which is the technically superiour of them, but that doesn't really matter. It's the feeling you get from the car that counts. In this case, let's say the Vectrex is a Ford Mustang '69 or something (I'm not a car expert), and the Xbox 360 is the latest Ferrari model. He chose a Ferrari, you want the Mustang.

Randall Flagg

Re:

Post by Randall Flagg » Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:50 pm

StarEye wrote:Some like old cars, some like new cars. There's no doubt as to which is the technically superiour of them, but that doesn't really matter. It's the feeling you get from the car that counts. In this case, let's say the Vectrex is a Ford Mustang '69 or something (I'm not a car expert), and the Xbox 360 is the latest Ferrari model. He chose a Ferrari, you want the Mustang.
Thats pretty fu*kin good analogy!
Retrotechy.
Zapp Brannigan Quote - You remind me of a younger me Fry, Not much younger mind, Perhaps even a little older... Image

StarEye

Post by StarEye » Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:14 pm

Thank you ;)

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sat Dec 02, 2006 5:08 am

And the Mustang is more fun to drive. The Ferarri may be faster, but it sticks to the road and gets a bit boring after a while. The Mustang is fast, but it slides around corners with the tail out.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Sat Dec 02, 2006 5:22 am

The mustang is a Yank Tank that roars like thunder on Route 66 but is just over powered and unstable if you want to use it everyday..
The Ferarri on the other hand handles the winding turns and narrow lanes that our picturesque European roads have to offer like a dream...

Not sure what this has to do with the retro/car analogy but if it were me I would say the Vectrex is an E type Jag - Sleak, sexy machine that was the best it could be and still turns heads today.
While the 360 is more like a 3lt vauxhall Chalton - very flash, has all the extras but in the end is common as dirt and can be bought for a fraction of what it is worth in a few short years...

muse hunter

Post by muse hunter » Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:40 am

an xbox 360 is much more better value for your money than a vectrex, i'm sure vectrex's aren't that good either; just a handful of games many of which cost more than the average 360 game, then theres the overlays ect. Really i'd say the vectrex is one for collectors only, in which you'd have to explain to your friend the inner workings of a collectors mind (which is quite difficult), not that of your average retrogamer, either way everygamer is a bit of a retrogamer, hence why the 360's live arcade has taken off and why the Wii's virtual console is going to be so popular.

GetDexter

Re:

Post by GetDexter » Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:45 am

muse hunter wrote:an xbox 360 is much more better value for your money than a vectrex, i'm sure vectrex's aren't that good either; just a handful of games many of which cost more than the average 360 game, then theres the overlays ect. Really i'd say the vectrex is one for collectors only, in which you'd have to explain to your friend the inner workings of a collectors mind (which is quite difficult), not that of your average retrogamer, either way everygamer is a bit of a retrogamer, hence why the 360's live arcade has taken off and why the Wii's virtual console is going to be so popular.
Hmm. Interesting point. Emulating the Vectrex on my PC and replaying all the games I had as a kid has never interested me that much. I did own one - at the time when Woolworths were selling them off at £39.95 each (because no other bugger wanted one at full price!).

I had games like 'Hyperchase', 'Cosmic Chasm', 'Fortress of Narzod' and of course, the built-in brilliant version of 'Asteroids'. They were fun at the time but never made a huge impression on me. Maybe I should fire up an emulater just to see what they are like again...
As requested by the Tw@t himself - his account was Hijacked and has had a change of password.

Sorry Dexter!

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:19 am

Vectrex Scramble is ace, the reason I bought mine.

Emulating the Vectrex doesn't really work very well, you lose the particular qualities of the vector monitor that make it so unique to look at, not to mention the aspect ratio of the screen being totally different. I've yet to see a Vectrex emu that comes close to the real thing.

They aren't that expensive, one with a couple of games shold only be around £80, possibly less if you're lucky.

I'd say the Vectex and 360 are level pegging - same old games as other systems, but with their own visual style.
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

muse hunter

Re:

Post by muse hunter » Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:09 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
I'd say the Vectex and 360 are level pegging - same old games as other systems, but with their own visual style.
not really now is it? i don't see how any other system would even come close to emulating the experience of viva pinata, dead rising, or Oblivion. Those games will not be possible on other systems so they are hardly the same old, vectrex games are as basic as you can get, the 360 is a whole new ball game in comparision.

Antiriad2097

Re:

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:31 am

muse hunter wrote:
Antiriad2097 wrote:
not really now is it? i don't see how any other system would even come close to emulating the experience of viva pinata, dead rising, or Oblivion. Those games will not be possible on other systems so they are hardly the same old, vectrex games are as basic as you can get, the 360 is a whole new ball game in comparision.
No. Every one of those games is possible on another system. Perhaps not with the same visual fidelity, but the core gameplay is nothing new. Viva Pinata would work with the Animal Crossing engine, Dead Rising could easily be transplanted into the GTA one and Oblivion could be any number of RPGs without its glossy coat (or you could just get the PC version...).

Which is what I said earlier. Pretty pictures, but nothing stunningly new in the gameplay. On either system. I'm not directly comparing the 360 with the Vectrex, just stating that they both do what they do really well so it s down to preference which you'd invest in - Vectrex for a unique piece of retro hardware that has some cracking conversions of classic games, or 360 for current gaming with a glossy sheen. Personally, I think the Vectrex has more to offer right now.

Jonathan

Post by Jonathan » Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:03 pm

I have much the same problem with a couple of friends of mine, both of whom are actually former Spectrum owners. Winning the argument takes a lot of time, if you can win it at all. Just be patient and stick to your guns. :)

Unfortunately, some people will never get it. Retro gaming tends to attract a higher proportion of very intelligent players who understand the subtleties of multi-dimensional gameplay that classic games offer, whereas modern interactive movies are aimed at a mainstream "Hollywood" audience. If your friend would rather watch a Hollywood blockbuster than a more pensive production you're probably not going to bring him around.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:10 pm

If you lose a couple of hours playing one,then there's no difference

When you're truly 'in' the zone' playing games then graphics are just like backgrond noise -you don't truly appreciate them

Just like in the arcades ,the graphics are for your audience to admire,and help sell the machine
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

StarEye

Re:

Post by StarEye » Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:16 pm

Jonathan wrote:Retro gaming tends to attract a higher proportion of very intelligent players who understand the subtleties of multi-dimensional gameplay that classic games offer.
I seriously hope that was a joke!

Jonathan

Re:

Post by Jonathan » Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:44 pm

StarEye wrote: I seriously hope that was a joke!
I may be wrong of course, but the majority of retro heads I've met are very intelligent, and appreciate how different aspects of gameplay work together. I bet a quick straw poll would reveal some frightening IQs on this forum.

:)