Book...

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

AndyR

Book...

Post by AndyR » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:06 am

I've started writing a book (totally not for sale but the plan is to make it available for free download) and as such purely a personal labour of love about my experiences with computers and computing devices. I doubt I'll ever finish it though...!

I'm sure many people had the similar experiences to me and the first bit I've written talks about my eureka moment and I was wondering what other peoples eureka moment in computing was...when and how you realised that these devices were more than just lumps of plastic. Here's my first bit of the book..

Preface

"Mum! Mum! Come and look at this" I shouted at the top of my voice.

"Why, what's wrong" she said as she came through the doorway.

I replied "Nothing, I just want to show you this..."

I was sat in my bedroom way back in 1984 and had my first computer connected to an old black and white TV - a portable that had one of those rotary dials to tune channels in. The computer in question was a first edition 16k Spectrum (yep, with the 'dead flesh' keys). The simple act of showing my mum what I had made the computer do was, I now realise, my eureka moment in computing...the time when I realised just what computers could do and how little old me (well, young me) could make it do something I wanted to do.

So, you are probably asking what the momentus task I got to computer to do was. Well, it was simply a basic program that asked your current age and then informed you how old you would be in the year 2000. WOW! That's all it was and probably a bit of anti-climax for you, the reader, but the point is that I had made the computer do this. This little black box wasn't just a passive entertainment unit like the TV (4 channels, can you believe that's all we used to have to choose from!) or my stereo (mainly used to record the top 40 religiously every Sunday) but it was something I had control over!

Little did I realise that back then, I was an insignificant part of what was the home computer revolution.

This is my personal story highlighting the hardware I've owned, games I've played and how it's impacted on my life. I've interspersed it with technical information (for the geeky side in me likes to show through) and it's all from a thoroughly British point of view...which I hope strikes a chord with those like minded individuals who grew up with their speccys, cpc's, beebs and 64's, st's, miggys. pee cee's and not forgetting consoles as well.

So, grab a packet of monster munch, a glass of Vimto and sit cross legged on the floor in your jammies as my journey of a lifetime begins...

Did anyone else have a similar moment?

Antiriad2097

Re: Book...

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:25 am

Have you read 'Supercade'? It sort of follows one person's journey through gaming. Its not solely the one viewpoint, but has a similar general theme to your idea.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

AndyR

Post by AndyR » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:27 pm

Thanks for the headsup Antiriad. Just ordered it on Amazon but it seems the book is skewed towards the American side of things whereas my plan is to keep it thoroughly British simply because it's what I know. Like I say though, I'll probably never finish it - give it a few weeks and I'll have moved onto something else lol! :D

Anyways, would still love to hear other peoples eureka moments :)

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:53 pm

Supercade is very American, but its one of the earlier retro gaming books before the big rush of the last few years. Lots of pics though.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Dizrythmia

Post by Dizrythmia » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:37 pm

I went through a phase of jotting down video gaming memories with the aim of putting it online. I have the files somewhere, but I just found other things to do :)