SNK Handheld

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

nakamura

Re: SNK Handheld

Post by nakamura » Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:34 pm

With the stick and buttons so high on the console it will probably become very uncomfortable very quickly. The left stick just looks too high. Hope it isn't the case though as it is it a cool looking machine.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:08 am

nakamura wrote:With the stick and buttons so high on the console it will probably become very uncomfortable very quickly. The left stick just looks too high. Hope it isn't the case though as it is it a cool looking machine.
Completely disagree with that assertion. The thumbstick and face buttons appear to have been placed where ones thumbs naturally fall when holding the device. Unlike the thumbsticks on PS Vita, for instance.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:14 pm

The Vita is certainly too low but this looks too high. That video makes it look a little uncomfortable. Be nice to test the final product and see how it feels.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:13 pm

I'd actually rather more SNK games appeared on the PS3 Via PSN - boughs Metal Slug 2 last night and you can add scanlines, put the language into English and the blood to red, plus there is an over clock option that removes the slowdown, so it's actually better than the original game. Excellent stuff, if only there were more of the newer games on there.

This handheld looks ok, but until there is clear evidence of accessing options, saving scores, enabling red blood (samurai has green blood on that video) and what the picture output on a tv looks like, I'm reserving my judgement.

James A

Post by James A » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:36 pm

Can't decide on this. Although theres 20 games announced on it and there the Gold pack with the extra game theres been no announcements about other games or what the pricing will be for them (or i haven't seen it yet). Theres also the problem that there could be just a limited release of games so it ends up dying a slow death.

Im stuck as i was considering getting an original AES for Christmas and then getting it modded through console passion but with a budget of £200 ish it going to be streched very thin or broken without even buying a game. With this ill get 20 games plus a new handheld but i won't own something that ive always dreamed off since i was a kid

The other thing im curious with this is will you be able to mod this so you can put other emmulators on it???

So yeah still can't decide :roll:

Team Alfie

Post by Team Alfie » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:28 am

They've done a good job and it's very tempting...

http://www.funstock.co.uk/retro-gaming/neo-geo-x

...but with all the games coming out at the moment, there's no way I'd get my money's worth out if it. And yet it's still tempting. Dammit! :x

The Angry Jock

Post by The Angry Jock » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:42 am

I really want to buy this...
Retropassion reborn
sscott wrote:I fuck1n love the fuck1n Internet and all its fuckin fu(kball opinions. I fuck1n like this fuk(her, I don't fuccckin like this fuckeeer. It's not out yet, that isn't gonna gonna stop me! No sir! and so onnnnnnnnnn........

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:53 am

At a quick glance that looks a lovely pack for £175 - if you have £175 to spend on it, of course.
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

The Angry Jock

Post by The Angry Jock » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:56 am

So is this an American machine? Will there be a UK one?
Retropassion reborn
sscott wrote:I fuck1n love the fuck1n Internet and all its fuckin fu(kball opinions. I fuck1n like this fuk(her, I don't fuccckin like this fuckeeer. It's not out yet, that isn't gonna gonna stop me! No sir! and so onnnnnnnnnn........

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:37 am

The Angry Jock wrote:So is this an American machine? Will there be a UK one?
Yep, it's getting worldwide release

fujiHunter

Post by fujiHunter » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:32 am

greenberet79 wrote:At a quick glance that looks a lovely pack for £175 - if you have £175 to spend on it, of course.
Make that £185 (£175 + £10 delivery)... delivery doesn't appear to be free (even within the uk) from this retailer!
http://www.funstock.co.uk/delivery-information.html

Considering the same product is available (preorder) on Amazon.com to US customers for $199 with free delivery (approx £123.72) the price on this site is disappointing. I'm used to paying more than our US counterparts for many things, but this is approx a 50% markup!

Hopefully, you will be able to preorder from other UK retailers that can offer a more competitive price. :|

James A

Post by James A » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:48 pm

fujiHunter wrote:
greenberet79 wrote:At a quick glance that looks a lovely pack for £175 - if you have £175 to spend on it, of course.
Make that £185 (£175 + £10 delivery)... delivery doesn't appear to be free (even within the uk) from this retailer!
http://www.funstock.co.uk/delivery-information.html

Considering the same product is available (preorder) on Amazon.com to US customers for $199 with free delivery (approx £123.72) the price on this site is disappointing. I'm used to paying more than our US counterparts for many things, but this is approx a 50% markup!

Hopefully, you will be able to preorder from other UK retailers that can offer a more competitive price. :|
Yeah thats a bit steeper than i thought it would be. I was thinking maybe £130 - £150 ish. Will have to see what Play & Amazon come up with.

fujiHunter

Post by fujiHunter » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:45 am

James A wrote: Yeah thats a bit steeper than i thought it would be. I was thinking maybe £130 - £150 ish. Will have to see what Play & Amazon come up with.
There are a number of press releases out there now. One states:
The NEOGEO X GOLD Limited Edition will be initially available for pre-order from BLAZE's preferred outlet http://www.funstock.co.uk/retro-gaming/neo-geo-x from October 31st.
...for full article see: http://www.develop-online.net/press-rel ... ed-Edition

So, it looks like funstock may be the only place to preorder in the UK if you want the free game. Think I'll have to pass for now as the disparity between USA and UK prices for the same item is just too much for me. Also, for around the quoted £185 (or a little more) you could get (delete as appropriate) an XBox360, PS3, WII U etc.

Disappointing.

The Angry Jock

Post by The Angry Jock » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:57 am

I'm really having a tough time deciding whether to pre-order this or not, if it was on Play/HMV/Amazon I would've, but I dunno who Funstock are...

I'm on soup for the next month until I make my mind up.
Retropassion reborn

James A

Post by James A » Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:03 pm

Well ive come to the decision not to get this. £190 is too steep plus looking on my modded Xbox ive got most of the Neo Geo stuff.

Ill mark this down as one to look for at the carboots next year :D