SNK Handheld

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

DreamcastRIP

New Neo Geo handheld!!! (Well, kind of)

Post by DreamcastRIP » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:21 am

From Kotaku:

"The handheld sports a 4.3 inch LCD screen , 2GB of onboard memory, and an SD card slot...The device is larger than an iPhone or your typical smartphone. The back reads "SNK", while the top has an AV Out slot, L1/L2 buttons, and R1/R2 buttons... There are twenty pre-loaded games, all of them old Neo-Geo classics.

The games, which can be played in English, are World Heroes, Ultimate 11, Top Player's Golf, Sengoku, Nam-1975, Mutation Nation, Last Resort, King of Monsters, Frenzy, Cyber-Lip, Fatal Furty Special, The Art of Fighting, Super Sidekicks, League Bowling, Metal Slug, Magical Lord, Baseball Stars Professional, Samurai Shodown, The King of Fighters '94, and Fatal Fury.

Considering that this reveal came via a Japanese game blog and not from SNK itself, this does look to be a leak, and it could even be a prototype. According to the blog, the temporary name for the decide is "Neo-Geo Keitai" or "Neo-Geo Portable""

Sources:
* http://kotaku.com/5879082/the-return-of-the-neo+geo
* http://www.famicom-plaza.com/blog/2012/ ... oket2.html

Looks a lot like an iPhone 4. I hope that thumb stick will 'click' like the superb one on NGP/NGPC! :D
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

Mootown

Re: New Neo Geo handheld!!! (Well, kind of)

Post by Mootown » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:57 am

It really bugs me how SNK Playmore always re-release the exact same games everytime - they aren't even new versions or anything.
That console looks like a modded iphone - still IF it is real and you can add roms into it via the SD Card slot and it can handle games such as Blazing Star, KOF 98/99, Metal Slug X, 3,etc then it could potentially be pretty awesome. Although PSP does already do Neo pretty well anyway, it gets cool points for having the Neo logo on it.

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:12 am

Dunno - logos don't look quite right to me for it to be an official, real product.

(I admit I'm a bit of a font nerd.)

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:16 am

Logo's look alright to me - maybe just because the Neo-Geo one is in gold - it's was usually used in white.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:23 am

If it's legit, is made available for a sensible price and the screen is comparable to iPhone 4's retina display (or is OLED like on PSV) then I'm interested. :D
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:32 am

Will be more than happy to pick it up and give it a whirl, depending on the price.

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:42 am

DreamcastRIP wrote:If it's legit, is made available for a sensible price and the screen is comparable to iPhone 4's retina display (or is OLED like on PSV) then I'm interested. :D
Sensible price & a screen akin to the retina display would be contradictory. If you go down the high tech route then expect to pay a premium for it. Not only that but I would presume a high pixel density display would not be a good match for the native resolution of Neo Geo games (unless they are given a high-def makeover, which would be unlikely)
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:47 am

Nemesis wrote:
DreamcastRIP wrote:If it's legit, is made available for a sensible price and the screen is comparable to iPhone 4's retina display (or is OLED like on PSV) then I'm interested. :D
Sensible price & a screen akin to the retina display would be contradictory. If you go down the high tech route then expect to pay a premium for it. Not only that but I would presume a high pixel density display would not be a good match for the native resolution of Neo Geo games (unless they are given a high-def makeover, which would be unlikely)
A fair point and one I should have realised before posting. :oops:

A decent low energy consumption screen that doesn't suffer blurring would suffice then. :D
Last edited by DreamcastRIP on Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

pforson

Post by pforson » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:50 am

Why is the screen 16:9? I thought all NeoGeo games were 4:3?
WANTED: Amiga CD32 games. PM me. :)

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:23 am

DreamcastRIP wrote:
Nemesis wrote:
A fair point and one I should have realised before posting. :oops:

A decent low energy consumption screen that doesn't suffer blurring would suffice then. :D
Nothing wrong with wanting the ideal. They have to make it cheap though because the Neo geo games are fairly niche even amongst gamers let alone the more casual player. (to which those games probably wouldn't appeal anyway)
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:01 am

The more I look at that the more I like it.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

retrojc

SNK Handheld

Post by retrojc » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:45 am

retrojc

Re: SNK Handheld

Post by retrojc » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:01 pm

Who ever moved this is a hero. Thanks!

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:06 pm

GigaPepsiMan wrote:R.I.P Vita
R.I.P 3DS
I take it you quite like the look of it then? :lol: