Great Games........ That Never Had A Sequel

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

James Bond

Great Games........ That Never Had A Sequel

Post by James Bond » Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:37 pm

While I'm tempted to say Goldeneye64, we did get Perfect Dark. Though one thing the whole incident proved, was that EA are censored clueless when it comes to making games (see Tomorrow Never Dies on the PS1).

Duck Hunt, not sure what they could have done with a follow up, but surprised it never happened.

Blast Corps, top N64 game, can you imagine what they could do with this today?

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:53 pm

James Bond

Post by James Bond » Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:06 pm

Sorry about that mate :oops:

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:10 pm

Hey, don't be sorry. Just gicing you some more reading material :wink:

Randall Flagg

Post by Randall Flagg » Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:07 pm

Don't be hard on yourself. Its a big forum, things slip by. I've just done like a 100 word reply and realised there was still half a poage of replies that I hadn't read which covered everything i typed....DOH!!!!!

Ps - this is my 1000 post. Maybe its time to change my name to Retro Flagg....No, i guess not.
Retrotechy.
Zapp Brannigan Quote - You remind me of a younger me Fry, Not much younger mind, Perhaps even a little older... Image

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:03 pm

Life. You get to play it and then suddenly game over. There is no sequel :wink:
Watching you sleep since 1990

muse hunter

Re:

Post by muse hunter » Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:50 pm

Sega2006 wrote:Life. You get to play it and then suddenly game over. There is no sequel :wink:
unless you believe in reincarnation of course, in a previous life i was a lesbian nun who sold drugs to jewish children, it all ended horribly after world war 2 of course, doing such things were thought of as hate crimes in Germany there after. With nothing to live for and a brief fling with John Lennon i blew my own brains out. This life however is a case of so far so good.

But i digress, to answer the original question Nights, why oh why didn't SEGA give us a sequal? Burning Rangers also, that game is crying out for a sequal, and fighters megamix. Damn you SEGA!!!!!! you release sh!t sonic game after sh!t sonic game yet you refuse to release anything we actually want. Tossers the whole lot of them, that goes for Sammy also.

GetDexter

Post by GetDexter » Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:52 pm

There's an element of Peter Cook about you Muse, in the sense that sometimes you like to tread on the edge of good taste with your humour, although I am much like you and would question what 'good taste' is anyway :wink:
As requested by the Tw@t himself - his account was Hijacked and has had a change of password.

Sorry Dexter!

muse hunter

Re:

Post by muse hunter » Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:55 pm

GetDexter wrote:There's an element of Peter Cook about you Muse, in the sense that sometimes you like to tread on the edge of good taste with your humour, although I am much like you and would question what 'good taste' is anyway :wink:
theres no such thing as bad taste humour in my book, as long as something is supposed to be a joke then it should be taken as one.

Sega2006

Re:

Post by Sega2006 » Sat Dec 02, 2006 3:07 pm

muse hunter wrote:
Sega2006 wrote:Life. You get to play it and then suddenly game over. There is no sequel :wink:
unless you believe in reincarnation of course, in a previous life i was a lesbian nun who sold drugs to jewish children, it all ended horribly after world war 2 of course, doing such things were thought of as hate crimes in Germany there after. With nothing to live for and a brief fling with John Lennon i blew my own brains out. This life however is a case of so far so good.

But i digress, to answer the original question Nights, why oh why didn't SEGA give us a sequal? Burning Rangers also, that game is crying out for a sequal, and fighters megamix. Damn you SEGA!!!!!! you release sh!t sonic game after sh!t sonic game yet you refuse to release anything we actually want. Tossers the whole lot of them, that goes for Sammy also.
Just die now, your not funny and just extremely annoying
Watching you sleep since 1990

felgekarp

Re:

Post by felgekarp » Sat Dec 02, 2006 3:26 pm

muse hunter wrote:
GetDexter wrote:There's an element of Peter Cook about you Muse, in the sense that sometimes you like to tread on the edge of good taste with your humour, although I am much like you and would question what 'good taste' is anyway :wink:
theres no such thing as bad taste humour in my book, as long as something is supposed to be a joke then it should be taken as one.
Maybe in future you could put joke tags round all the stuff you post thats supposed to be a joke then, just so we know.

[joke] unless you believe in reincarnation of course, in a previous life i was a lesbian nun who sold drugs to jewish children, it all ended horribly after world war 2 of course, doing such things were thought of as hate crimes in Germany there after. With nothing to live for and a brief fling with John Lennon i blew my own brains out. This life however is a case of so far so good. [/joke]
Splink!

SirClive

Re:

Post by SirClive » Sun Dec 03, 2006 5:04 am

muse hunter wrote:to answer the original question Nights, why oh why didn't SEGA give us a sequal?
Because it was overrated tosh.

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Sun Dec 03, 2006 5:11 am

And because they did in the form of XMAS NIGHTS...? But think it is more than likely that SirClive is right...

Zorrobandito

Post by Zorrobandito » Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:20 am

<comments about muse's sense of humour restrained>

Terra Nova from Looking Glass. They tore the giant mech genre a new one and never went back. Years later, Starsiege Tribes pretty much copied them with much more success but it never got the sequel it deserved.

Heavy Barrel needed a sequel with console friendly controls. You can manage with Robotron but the 8-way joystick and spinner was a killer.

And here are a couple of "I agree"s from the previous thread.

Powermonger. Peter Molyneaux did a retrospective review of the game and found loads of flaws in it but for my money this is the greatest RTS ever made.

Stunt Car Racer is a god amongst driving games and in many, many ways I'm glad it never got a sequel as it might have somehow sullied the original.

Unirally (Uniracers) was playability gold on the SNES, it would make a great PSP conversion.

And regarding Nights, I only played this recently and it's my experience that without the rose-tinted glasses (even faded and worn ones) many 'classic' games played today are just not up to scratch. This is totally not the case with Nights into Dreams. It captures the feeling of flight and the satisfaction of being a skilled acrobat and shoehorns it into a 2D platform game design that looks like 3D. Brilliant! Now I see what all the fuss was about.

muse hunter

Re:

Post by muse hunter » Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:09 am

felgekarp wrote:
muse hunter wrote:
Maybe in future you could put joke tags round all the stuff you post thats supposed to be a joke then, just so we know.

[joke] unless you believe in reincarnation of course, in a previous life i was a lesbian nun who sold drugs to jewish children, it all ended horribly after world war 2 of course, doing such things were thought of as hate crimes in Germany there after. With nothing to live for and a brief fling with John Lennon i blew my own brains out. This life however is a case of so far so good. [/joke]
hey, stop trying to wrap me up in red tape