Best/most memorable Arcade

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

crusto

Best/most memorable Arcade

Post by crusto » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:04 pm

What was your arcade of choice in your youth?

Now that I think of it, I visited way more than thought I did. Here's my favourites.

Two were in Bournemouth. one outside Bournemouth pier. And the other outside the pier just a bit further up the beach, Boscombe iirc. Both were nice and big, relatively clean and had a great selection of new tech and older classics. the last time I visited (1996) the one in Boscombe had become a pub, the Neptune I think.

Drayton Manor, the arcade in the centre of the fairground, spent more time in there than on the rides

Some dingy place in Birmingham town centre, near where watches of switzerland is. It was was spread over two or three floors iirc. Plenty of fun to be had. You just had to watch your back..Might still be open.

My brother in laws dads arcade in Southampton, didn't go much but it was always a total freebie when I did. :D

Eat your nans pants

DreamcastRIP

Re: Best/most memorable Arcade

Post by DreamcastRIP » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:38 pm

crusto wrote:Drayton Manor, the arcade in the centre of the fairground, spent more time in there than on the rides
+1

The arcade within Drayton Manor Theme Park gets my vote too for my favourite arcade from my childhood. It was HUGE and had such a great selection of arcade coin-ops including many full-size sit-down ones. Happy days! :D
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

crusto

Post by crusto » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:49 pm

Happy indeed. My earliest arcade memories are from here, star wars and pole position being responsible for parting my mom with plenty of pennies. :D

Eat your nans pants

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:53 pm

I have wonderful memories of the arcade at Billing Aquadrome 8)

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:57 pm

The ones in Rhyl
Palace arcade mostly as it used to get all the recent stuff in.

Also that older one that seemed old all those years ago.

Going there now just makes me sad

Misery

Post by Misery » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:28 pm

Used to have a place in the mall near here called Aladdin's Castle, I went there all the time as a kid, when I could. Used to be so great....

.....and then in it's later years, it became one of THOSE arcades... the ones that only had expensive racing machines, "skill" games, and games with light-guns.... and I dont mean the GOOD lightgun games.

Depressing, it was. And eventually it just fell apart and vanished.

Black Ridge

Post by Black Ridge » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:16 am

crusto wrote:What was your arcade of choice in your youth?

Now that I think of it, I visited way more than thought I did. Here's my favourites.

Two were in Bournemouth. one outside Bournemouth pier. And the other outside the pier just a bit further up the beach
The one on the pier is a bit manic (well it was when i went in the summer) and had loads of Claw machines and the newish (even more unfair) SEGA chocolate/soft toy prize machines. Theres one where you have to cut some string to win a prize (the blades are blunt) and some others where you have to knock the prizes off the side. There are a fair few racing sims and rail shooters there.

The arcade along the beach was worn down when i last went and half the machines were broken. lots of old machnes... covered in sand :(

The best arcade in Bournemouth was always SEGA PARK (although im sure it used to be called SEGA WORLD). thats where i first played Marvel vs Capcom 2! Now its a bit crap now though... like most arcades in the UK

resident paul

Post by resident paul » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:25 am

There are use to be a number of them on the blackpool golden mile but now a lot are getting rundown. :(

witchfinder

Post by witchfinder » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:28 am

Shipley's arcade in Hanley (Stoke town centre) was my weekly haunt during the early 90's - me and my mates would have an hour of pool for a quid each followed by 50p on Ternminator 2 pinball and a few credits on the videogames - WWF Wrestlefest was a staple of that era.

Also worth mentioning for the Stoke area were Quicksilver amusements in Longton, where I played my first ever game oif Final Fight, and the small arcade in the back of Castle Computers which had stuff like WWF Superstars, Robocop, Pang and the like.

Further afield it would be Coral Island in Blackpool, the numerous arcades at Alton Towers and many locations in Newquay. Great memories!
The 100k Challenge - 40 Arcade Classics. 2 MAME Cabs. 1 Average Gamer.
Mastertronic Chronicles - Mastertronic C64 Game Collecting and Reviews
My Youtube Channel (featuring Mastertronic, Funspot, REPLAY and more!)

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:44 pm

crusto wrote:Some dingy place in Birmingham town centre, near where watches of switzerland is. It was was spread over two or three floors iirc. Plenty of fun to be had. You just had to watch your back..Might still be open.
Dayvilles! :lol:

Used to be an Ice Cream parlour upstairs (with a stand up ice-cooled Afterburner coin op) and a full arcade downstairs. Then the parlour went and Fruit machines came in upstairs. Then the Fruities went downstairs as well and the whole place became 18+ only. I think it's still there, but one for those who like being ripped off by fake "Gambles" from Fruit Machines. (See Stuart Campbell.)
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

PaulEMoz

Post by PaulEMoz » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:52 pm

The town of Whitley Bay used to be amazing. You had the Spanish City, which was a big domed fun palace with loads of arcade games in it, and that was in the middle of a big crescent-shaped street that contained another seven or eight large arcades. It took me 90 minutes to get there by bus and train as a teenager, so I couldn't make the pilgrimage that often, but it was like Paradise when I did get there.

Combo-Breaker

Post by Combo-Breaker » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:15 pm

Freestyler wrote:
crusto wrote:Some dingy place in Birmingham town centre, near where watches of switzerland is. It was was spread over two or three floors iirc. Plenty of fun to be had. You just had to watch your back..Might still be open.
Dayvilles! :lol:

Used to be an Ice Cream parlour upstairs (with a stand up ice-cooled Afterburner coin op) and a full arcade downstairs. Then the parlour went and Fruit machines came in upstairs. Then the Fruities went downstairs as well and the whole place became 18+ only. I think it's still there, but one for those who like being ripped off by fake "Gambles" from Fruit Machines. (See Stuart Campbell.)
I remember this place very well.

Me and a bunch of mates were in there in the summer of '99 playing Tekken, SF II and a ton of others. That day my good friend Matt got "turned away" for being too young! He had to wait outside but he ended up leaving due to there being a few too many moodys there! :(

It's changed now, and for the worse. :(

The building is still there, and it is still open, but it's just full of slot machines these days.

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:58 pm

Arcades were pretty much going down the pan when I finally got round to visiting them, but there are two of note in Coventry I used to visit. First was the one at the Bowling Alley that was down by the Forum, went there with my brother loads around 96-98, played lots of Virtua Fighter, Vritua Cop, Area 51 and Tekken, great times. Next was a few years later, around the year 2000, it was an arcade/fruit machine place near Corporation Street, didn't have too many games, but we would happily spend hours on House Of The Dead, Silent Scope and racing on Sega Rally.

Not sure, if either of these places are still going, as I very rarely get to visit Coventry now days.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:18 pm

Black Ridge wrote:
The best arcade in Bournemouth was always SEGA PARK (although im sure it used to be called SEGA WORLD). thats where i first played Marvel vs Capcom 2! Now its a bit crap now though... like most arcades in the UK
It was indeed Sega World many years ago and a fine place it was. They had a lot of Naomi stuff around the turn of the millenium.

Another great one was Slots at Tower Park in Poole. It is still there but not in the original location but I remember playing Out Run, Hard Drivin', Ironman Off Road, Turtles and Simpsons until it moved. It was still good for a few years with Ridge Racer, Sega Rally, Star Wars, Time Crisis and many others until it went rubbish in the very late 90s.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:23 pm

For me, it wasn't so much about the Arcade, but the Arcade experience.

It was a meeting point for us all. We'd meet there on a Saturday. We'd often go to several places all as a group. We'd hang out and encourage (or battle! :lol: ) each other and generally have a good old time. In fact the group we were in steadily rose to about 15 or 16 people, because of the shared interest. I'm sure it came as a shock to see a gang of 15-odd teens and young adults all walking through the town centre looking for machines to beat! :lol:

Without that sense of camaraderie an arcade is just a building with lots of machines in.
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.