Video game deaths - What's your favourite?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

HalcyonDaze

Post by HalcyonDaze » Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:58 pm

Barbarian, the decapitation. Genius, especially in two players, as you are both trying desperately to land that instant kill. And it is SO satisfying when you manage to do it.

Hungry Horace

Post by Hungry Horace » Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:32 am

Tomb Raider, the original in my case. It was 1996 and I was in my second year at uni. I had just blown more of my student loan than I perhaps should have on a second-hand Saturn and five games at the local Tottenham Cash Converters. It was probably 'hotter' than the sun, but my need for that console was great indeed!

Tomb Raider was one of the games it came with, and my friends and I discovered the sheer number of ways you could maka Lara die.

My favourite? A level about midway through the game named St Francis' Folly. It was a very deep pit with a structure you had to navigate down, several hundred metres. Stand Lara on the edge and swan dive off. As she falls, she screams, and impacts on the bottom some seconds later in a glorious, crumpled heap, with a satisfying thud. With a saved game close to that point, it could be enjoyed time and again. Friends and I even used to try and hit 'targets' at the bottom, guards or dogs, with the furthest away having to make the tea, or do the shop run for crisps and biscuits.
Get your own Gamercard Sig.

fgasking

Post by fgasking » Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:50 am

Rick Dangerous 1 and 2, where Rick will fly up and closer to the screen, waving his arms like a girl and falling off the bottom to his death.
Hunting and reporting on lost/unreleased games...

C64 - http://www.gtw64.co.uk
All formats - http://www.gamesthatwerent.com (Inc links for Amiga, PC, 3DO)
My blog - http://fgasking.wordpress.com

kaiserpc

Post by kaiserpc » Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:36 am

being impailed on the spikes after missing a jump in Prince of Persia

DonkeySpank

Post by DonkeySpank » Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:10 am

For some obscure reason I really like the "skeleton" version of Dirk in Dragon's Lair. Even though the game itself is gash.

revgiblet

Post by revgiblet » Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:00 am

The UK version of Aliens. An Alien or a face hugger leaps towards you and then...static.

SirClive

Re:

Post by SirClive » Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:20 am

HalcyonDaze wrote:Barbarian, the decapitation. Genius, especially in two players, as you are both trying desperately to land that instant kill. And it is SO satisfying when you manage to do it.
That was a great one, especially with the troll thing dragging the body off and booting the head!!

The Penultimate Ninja

Re:

Post by The Penultimate Ninja » Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:11 am

SirClive wrote:
HalcyonDaze wrote:Barbarian, the decapitation. Genius, especially in two players, as you are both trying desperately to land that instant kill. And it is SO satisfying when you manage to do it.
That was a great one, especially with the troll thing dragging the body off and booting the head!!
It's my favourite too, especially if you could pull it off right at the begining of a 2 player match.

Randall Flagg

Post by Randall Flagg » Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:11 am

Syndicate, when you shoot someone with a flame thrower or gauss gun and they run around screaming in flames.
Retrotechy.
Zapp Brannigan Quote - You remind me of a younger me Fry, Not much younger mind, Perhaps even a little older... Image

sven

Post by sven » Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:46 am

I already said Larry, but I want to elaborate. While he has died many a horrific deaths, the funniest one is in the original Larry 1 (it's probably in the VGA version too). If you walk out on the road outside Lefty's you'll be run down by a car, which means instant death for Larry. He's then lowered into the ground where there's a factory designed to make new Larrys. We then see the remains of the old Larry being destroyed and a new Larry being made and sent up to the surface for another shot at life. Classy. :D

Crunchy

Post by Crunchy » Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:53 am

Heart Of Darkness on the PSone. Almost every single death of the main character is a joy to behold. I don't think any other game comes close to killing the player in so many superbly animated, quite horrible, different ways. From the drawn-out struggling death in the lava to the prolongred drowning in the underwater bits they're all quite sickening. Pride of place must go to the worms-dragging-you-into-the-cliff death. The stomach-churning crunch as the worm cracks the spine followed by the floppy legs hanging out of the hole. Tremendous. :D

Get_in_Gear

Post by Get_in_Gear » Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:54 am

Watching that pesky mothership from R-Type - you know the one that was as big as the whole level - go up in flames was always a treat...
R Tape loading error, 0:1

[+[_]::]

SirClive

Re:

Post by SirClive » Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:42 pm

sven wrote:I already said Larry, but I want to elaborate. While he has died many a horrific deaths, the funniest one is in the original Larry 1 (it's probably in the VGA version too). If you walk out on the road outside Lefty's you'll be run down by a car, which means instant death for Larry. He's then lowered into the ground where there's a factory designed to make new Larrys. We then see the remains of the old Larry being destroyed and a new Larry being made and sent up to the surface for another shot at life. Classy. :D
Always liked the one if you went with the prostitute. Your genital area flashed different colours and you died of nasty STD!

James A

Post by James A » Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:59 pm

The original Resident Evil being decapitated by the Lizard things that appear half way through for the first time.

forestville

Post by forestville » Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:14 pm

Mine is in "Where Time Stood Still" when you make the all characters fall off the cliffs.
:twisted: :evil:
Press play on tape