Video game deaths - What's your favourite?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Darran@Retro Gamer

Video game deaths - What's your favourite?

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:31 am

Come on, everyone has one. Mine's the sound Pac-Man makes when he dies - utter class...

scunny

Post by scunny » Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:35 am

Sabreman in Sabrewulf. Flung clear across the screen where he lands on his backside and then lays down. Brilliant.

yakmag

Post by yakmag » Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:41 am

Falling off the roof in Cauldron 2, the whheee noise, coupled with spinny view of the pumpkin, crowned with the witch cackle, genius!!

sven

Post by sven » Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:42 am

Roger Wilco and Leisure Suit Larry. They've had some pretty horrific deaths :D

Jumpman jr. There was even a strategic element to his death (trying to catch more of those things he's gotta collect to finish the level while he's falling down to the ground).

demon cleaner

Post by demon cleaner » Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:48 am

The guy in Another World can die some cool deaths :wink:

LeeT

Post by LeeT » Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:25 pm

Impossible Mission - "AAAAAARRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH"

:)

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:13 pm

Not quite the same thing, but there was a game on the Speccy set in the 2000AD world where the boddies of all your victims pilled up and you could jump on them to get to the next platform up. Can't remember the name though, but it was really cool.

RonnieT

Post by RonnieT » Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:50 pm

Sir Clive, it was Nemesis The Warlock.

Best game deaths - Dragon's Lair - Dirk's body turing to a skeleton. Saw it enough fecking times too;)

Gorf saying "Bite Stardust, Space Cadet", obviously, with perhaps a laugh afterwards.

Mortal Kombat (one) - I think it was Scoprion who actually removed his opponents spinal column;)

Defender - my god did you leave a glorious explosion... everything would freeze for a second just so you could see it.

Rampage - when energy was depleted your Godzilla/Kong/Wolfman would warp back to human form, wearing just tiny underpants, and shuffle sideways off screen looking embarassed.

Goldeneye - blood running down from top of the screen, redding out vision as you take a dive to the floor, coupled with very dramatic music.

Bet I think of more later... good topic:)

Hungry Horace

Post by Hungry Horace » Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:28 pm

Anything from Moonstone, but of them all it is a certain tie between being decapitated by another knight, and impaled on the horn of a rampaging beast.

Anybody remember Speccy Punchy? The game used to have a synthesised Mr Punch who would bellow loudly at you the instant you died 'HA HA! HA HA!' Used to terrify me, as you never quite knew when to expect it, and it was a lot louder than the other game sounds, so the volume would often be higher to accomodate it.
Get your own Gamercard Sig.

backdrifter

Post by backdrifter » Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:43 pm

Sonic running out of air in the various water based levels! The time begins to tick down, as you frantically search for one of tose 'bubble points', only for Sonic to make that horrible noise, and fall off the screen.

SirClive

Re:

Post by SirClive » Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:45 pm

RonnieT wrote:Sir Clive, it was Nemesis The Warlock.
Cheers bud, thats the one!

My fave death though would be Ghosts and Goblins losing the armour when hit and then turning to bones when you die.

andy vaisey

Post by andy vaisey » Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:36 pm

Creatures (C64) - not so much the main character, but the poor little Fuzzy Wuzzies on the various torture screens.

Insanity Fight (Amiga) - early shooter that had a huge spaceship half-way through or at the end of the first level (I can't remember which) which exploded with an impressive (at the time) explosion when destroyed! :twisted:

Tomb Raider (PS1) - when Lara dies under water, she seems to throw a weird, wobbly fit. Not so much a classic, but something that always made me laugh! I was impressed when she touched the "Midas Statue" on one of the levels - she turned to gold... 8)

samuelpepys

Re:

Post by samuelpepys » Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:08 pm

RonnieT wrote:Sir Clive, it was Nemesis The Warlock.

Best game deaths - Dragon's Lair - Dirk's body turing to a skeleton. Saw it enough fecking times too;)

Gorf saying "Bite Stardust, Space Cadet", obviously, with perhaps a laugh afterwards.

Mortal Kombat (one) - I think it was Scoprion who actually removed his opponents spinal column;)

Defender - my god did you leave a glorious explosion... everything would freeze for a second just so you could see it.

Rampage - when energy was depleted your Godzilla/Kong/Wolfman would warp back to human form, wearing just tiny underpants, and shuffle sideways off screen looking embarassed.

Goldeneye - blood running down from top of the screen, redding out vision as you take a dive to the floor, coupled with very dramatic music.

Bet I think of more later... good topic:)
I'd agree with most of these and also add:

Zoom - Spectrum. I used to love the rendition of 'Another One Bites The Dust'

Raid Over Moscow - C64. The scene where you were at the Kremlin and shooting the guys on the walls.

On the subject of Laserdisc games, I'll add 'Firefox'. I always died pretty quickly but you always got to see some frames from the film that supposedly represented your death.

Lemmings - when you nuked them all.

Dastardly

Post by Dastardly » Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:42 pm

So many good death scenes!

Prince of persia when he gets chopped in half by the erm choppers. Makes a sickening sound effect that always made me wince.

Barbarian when you get your head chopped off and the little green goblin kicks it off the screen and laughs. Worth dying for that one.

Lemmings and all the varied ways thoses little critters could snuff it.

Speedball 2 when you get stretchered off the pitch after having your skull caved in.

Gods when you explode with a blood curdling shreik.

demon cleaner

Post by demon cleaner » Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:58 pm

Beach head 2, the first level, when you shoot down the guys coming down from the helicopter.