POLL - What's the hardest classic arcade game?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Liamh1982

Re: POLL - What's the hardest classic arcade game?

Post by Liamh1982 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:11 am

slacey1070 wrote:I found Tempest hard . . . I can't cope with multiple enemies coming at me and would go into a mild panic . . . and die quick and often . . .
That's what your superzapper's for, surely?

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:19 am

I don't care what anybody else says I'm stll going to go with Ghosts And Goblins, if I saw the majority of older games in an arcade I'd still stick 10p in them but I wouldn't with Ghosts And Goblins.
Splink!

crusto

Post by crusto » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:47 pm

Shinobrot was pretty difficult iirc. One hit and youre dead, very unforgiving. Even Ghosts and Goblins gave you the benefit of the doubt.

Eat your nans pants

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:00 pm

I'm very far from being a great gamer, but GnG isn't at the top of my 'hard' list. I can regularly get to the bit after the 'ice palace' bit on 1 credit.

If we're including home games then Airwolf has to be one of the worst - just getting past the 3rd screeen is an achievement. Also all the games by Dinamic (Army/NAvy Moves , Freddy Hardest etc) were almost impossible

As for games in the arcade,all Williams games were rock. Defender was tough if only for the fact that you had buttons all over the control panel to use, but in my opinion Robotron is harder because it is utterly relentless , leaves you nowhere to run because it is on a single screen , and makes your eyes bleed after a while due to the pyschadelic range colours being fired at you as you stare intently into the screen.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

clarance

Post by clarance » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:09 pm

Dragon's Lair - that 30p I wasted back in the eighties still grates me - I was completely baffled as one life after another snapped quickly away as I frantically pulled the joystick this way and that in an attempt to do, well anything that caused some interaction with the 'action'. Pah.
Death may be your Santa Claus.

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:38 pm

Liamh1982 wrote:
slacey1070 wrote:I found Tempest hard . . . I can't cope with multiple enemies coming at me and would go into a mild panic . . . and die quick and often . . .
That's what your superzapper's for, surely?
Indeed... But no other game has made me panic... I couldn't get super zappers away in time.....
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:42 pm

Mootown wrote:^ Ghosts N Goblins is actually really easy once you know the routes through the stages - honestly. It's only the final tower that's tough and the requirement to have the cross weapon to access the final boss. You can run through the whole first loop in about 30 minutes.

My pick for toughest game would be R-Type (the last few stages are nuts) and I was never any good at 'Hard Drivin' - was anyone? I used to last about ten seconds..
I agree Ghost and Goblins' is easy and you can get your armour back in so many place's in the level if you know what to do :D Even as a kid I could get to that Ice Cavern with the Dragon at the end.. I can beat the game but the last level loops I never realised you had to do the last level with the cross, to fight another boss.. Again you can get an extra life on the first level by shooting the graves till the witch comes out, and killing her - jump her spell as she turns you into a frog..

1st level hang round get dagger, climb ladder, jump as soon as you climbed to dodge bullet, kill flytrap, jump over grave kill flytrap fall off kill Raven.. Jump over money bag and Red Armer doesn't move.. Jumping by the toppled grave(before the moving mound into the forest) gives you your armour back
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:44 pm

Hard games Soldier of light couldn't even finish by credit feeding it.. Mr Do castle and Donkey Kong, and Time Pilot gave me cramp
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

delbert_trout

Post by delbert_trout » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:25 pm

Another Donkey Kong vote from me - I've still never made it to the top of the first level yet :oops:
http://www.retrogamer.net/user/delbert_trout

When you think you've got problems you don't really need,
They're maybe not as bad as they seem,
Cos in a world full of misery, with hatred and greed,
Your problems are another man's dream.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:29 am

paranoid marvin wrote:I'm very far from being a great gamer, but GnG isn't at the top of my 'hard' list. I can regularly get to the bit after the 'ice palace' bit on 1 credit.

If we're including home games then Airwolf has to be one of the worst - just getting past the 3rd screeen is an achievement. Also all the games by Dinamic (Army/NAvy Moves , Freddy Hardest etc) were almost impossible

As for games in the arcade,all Williams games were rock. Defender was tough if only for the fact that you had buttons all over the control panel to use, but in my opinion Robotron is harder because it is utterly relentless , leaves you nowhere to run because it is on a single screen , and makes your eyes bleed after a while due to the pyschadelic range colours being fired at you as you stare intently into the screen.
All those Williams games (jarvis) were brutal tough...although for some reason I found Robotron more intuitive than Defender and got reasonable at it. Love Robotron & Defender though...

thebear

Post by thebear » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:04 am

DreamcastRIP wrote:Flying Shark was bloody difficult too... either that or I was rubbish at playing it.

I always hear that

and yet used to be able to complete on one life (well there is no complete but could do all five levels and get to where it starts again at level two)

Admittedly that was after a two week holiday where that was the only arcade game anywhere near me and I played it all day and night

I did wonder if was on an easy setting, but after a few goes on MAME on Twin Galaxies tournament (ie harder than the standard) settings, although not in one life I can still generally do it on one credit

Is a memory game more than anything, same enemies, same place everytime, hard if not played often, nbut once you know the "pattern" not so difficult
one of the biggest collections of classic 70's, 80'S and on wrestling and boxing around - http://www.freewebs.com/cbenee

themightymartin

Post by themightymartin » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:08 am

Total Carnage was by far the hardest game I completed back in the day.
Xbox Live\Steam: themightymartin
3DS Friend Code: 5000-3656-8384
Zazzle Store: YonDer Designs

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:09 am

Actually top shout for Dragons Lair

The game looked incredible but i didnt have a clue what to do, when i did try and move the joystick etc i was never certain if it recognised it. All looks and not much else!

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:23 am

thebear wrote:
DreamcastRIP wrote:Flying Shark was bloody difficult too... either that or I was rubbish at playing it.
... Is a memory game more than anything, same enemies, same place everytime, hard if not played often, nbut once you know the "pattern" not so difficult
Of course. I recall being reasonably okay at playing the Speccy conversion which was probably because I invested sufficient enough time learning and memorising enemy attack patterns. I was hopeless at the arcade version though because my pockets weren't deep enough to learn the game!
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

thebear

Post by thebear » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:41 am

DreamcastRIP wrote:
thebear wrote:
... Is a memory game more than anything, same enemies, same place everytime, hard if not played often, nbut once you know the "pattern" not so difficult
Of course. I recall being reasonably okay at playing the Speccy conversion which was probably because I invested sufficient enough time learning and memorising enemy attack patterns. I was hopeless at the arcade version though because my pockets weren't deep enough to learn the game!

like i said was only game on a 2 week holiday in Menorca years ago!!

Burnt the [pattern so far into my memory I still remembered it when played on mame for first time in about 20 years lol
one of the biggest collections of classic 70's, 80'S and on wrestling and boxing around - http://www.freewebs.com/cbenee