POLL - What's the hardest classic arcade game?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

jbonner71

POLL - What's the hardest classic arcade game?

Post by jbonner71 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:59 pm

Hey guys and gals...my name is Jerry Bonner. Over the past year I've written several articles for RG (Moment with Duncan Jones and Rawson Stovall and the obit/eulogy for Bill Kunkel). I'm not really a "forum" guy but Stuart asked me to post a topic for the big 100th issue in which I'm doing a piece on the 30th anniversary of the legendary stat tracker/scoreboard of the video game industry, Twin Galaxies.

So, the poll topic is: What would you say is the hardest "classic" arcade game of all time? My choice(s) would be either Defender or Sinistar.

I'll be picking several of the best responses to use in the article itself, so "dress to impress," if you know what I mean, and I look forward to seeing what you all have to say!

kiwimike

Re: POLL - What's the hardest classic arcade game?

Post by kiwimike » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:50 pm

Run Coward!!!

I'd go with Defender as the toughest of the Classic arcaders. I loved the game...damn I loved it. It didn't love me back though! I tried to get to a decent level soas to be able to get a little moneys worth playing it. But never did. Had to take my frustrations out on the easier home versions!
Some of the players of Defender though are something to behold...incredible. Playing for hours with a stack of extra lives across the top of the screen. Was always jealous of those players :)

Misery

Post by Misery » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:46 am

Stargate.

Defender is pretty tough, as shmuppy games go.... but in the end there werent all that many different enemy types, and each had a fairly simplistic pattern.

Stargate keeps the "simple" approach to enemy attack patterns, but then goes and simply ADDS MORE OF THEM. The game takes the excellent design and concepts of the previous game, and goes with an "if it isnt broke, dont fix it!" approach that I often wish more sequels would take. The new enemies were just as brutal as the original ones, and added even more complexity to the patterns produced by having multiple enemy types roaming around at once.

Of course, this is still a tough decision... Sinistar is also pretty tough, and both Donkey Kong and Pac-Man absolutely hate me.

sscott

Post by sscott » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:25 am

Donkey Kong is brutal. Galaxians does my head in.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:58 am

Ghosts'n Goblins was nails hard!
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:11 am

+1 for gh n gh.

First game that came to mind when I saw the thread :-(
Thoughts and prayers.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:20 am

Another vote for Ghost n Goblins. I dont think many of us have ever seen the 3rd level, reached level 2 a few times but never level 3 ! Same for the home conversions. However despite the extreme difficulty I do have a lot of love for G n G despite the level of difficulty. Funny considering how many times i've tried completing level 1 time and time again yet i still strangely love the game.

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:37 am

^ Ghosts N Goblins is actually really easy once you know the routes through the stages - honestly. It's only the final tower that's tough and the requirement to have the cross weapon to access the final boss. You can run through the whole first loop in about 30 minutes.

My pick for toughest game would be R-Type (the last few stages are nuts) and I was never any good at 'Hard Drivin' - was anyone? I used to last about ten seconds..

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:04 am

Flying Shark was bloody difficult too... either that or I was rubbish at playing it.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

joefish

Post by joefish » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:08 am

How recent can we go? I'd agree with Ghosts 'n' Goblins as really hard. Defender and Flying Shark were pretty tough. But there's worse.

Viewpoint (NeoGeo arcade system, also the prettier Playstation conversion) is absolutely brutal. It's a real memory test as you have to learn then repeat how to hit a whole line of enemies, or which part of the scenery to shoot to open a gate.

Gradius III is unfairly hard, chucking multi-hit enemies at you from any direction you can't shoot in.

Sauro is an extremely tough underwater shooter; you have fairly slow movement and the constant threat of ships you've shot up sinking down on your head.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:25 am

I'd think that the ideal with arcade games was that they'd have a gentle enough learning curve to give you a few minutes of fun before rapidly ramping up to be brutally difficult in order to get some more money out of you or another player and most of the games mentioned so far fit that mould.

Sure, you might eventually attain mastery of them to the extent that you could survive for half an hour or so, but only by pumping enough cash into that slot.

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:31 am

Ghosts N' Goblins for me, after about 20 years of on and off play I can just about pick my way through the first area. After that it's pure evil!
Last edited by gmintyfresh on Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:34 am

I should start Ghosts n Goblins classes - It's not that hard once you know a few tricks....! Ghouls is much harder.

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:44 am

I found Tempest hard . . . I can't cope with multiple enemies coming at me and would go into a mild panic . . . and die quick and often . . .
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

Misery

Post by Misery » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:47 am

Ghosts n Goblins isnt all that tough once you know what to do in each section. The bosses in particular.

It's a hard game to LEARN, but it's the sort where once you got it down.... the challenge sorta melts.

It is at least one of the more MEMORABLE difficult games even if after practice it's not all that difficult. Still a good game though of course.