Street Fighter 25th Anniversary

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Megamixer

Street Fighter 25th Anniversary

Post by Megamixer » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:54 am

http://www.capcom-unity.com/brelston/bl ... elebration

So Street Fighter turns 25 this year and apparently, Capcom have some 'big plans' to celebrate. It got me thinking about what exactly they would do for this since there's no way a SFV would come out this year, Third Strike was re-released last year and SFII has been done to death already. Street Fighter X Tekken is already coming out so I doubt that would be 'the celebration'. So what does everybody think?

Street Fighter Alpha 3 HD for PSN/XBLA?
A new Vs game of some sort?
Another compilation?

I think it'll either be something really cool or another cynical re-release/port. I'm really hoping it isn't the latter but we all know how Capcom loves re-doing stuff.

Thoughts?
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

DPrinny

Re: Street Fighter 25th Anniversary

Post by DPrinny » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:01 am

A remake of Street fighter, but make it really good?

Its the only one that needs a remake

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:32 am

DPrinny wrote:A remake of Street fighter, but make it really good?

I've been secretly hoping for that for years, I seem to recall wanting it for its 20th Anniversary. I'm guessing it'll either be Ultra SF II (well they did cheap out and do Hyper SFII a few years back!) yet another update on SFIV that adds Rolento, Hugo, Poison and a couple more characters into the game.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Joey

Post by Joey » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:42 am

SF Alpha 3 HD would be really cool or even a re release with online play would do me fine.

I'm sure Madcatz will be doing some 25th sticks/pads which ill be interested to see. Not that I need another stick, I have 2.

I would like a really nice 360 collectors edition compilation of all the main games in the series. Maybe a steelbook or something, just for the collection.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:51 am

ShadowMan wrote:
DPrinny wrote:A remake of Street fighter, but make it really good?

I've been secretly hoping for that for years, I seem to recall wanting it for its 20th Anniversary. I'm guessing it'll either be Ultra SF II (well they did cheap out and do Hyper SFII a few years back!) yet another update on SFIV that adds Rolento, Hugo, Poison and a couple more characters into the game.
To be fair, I really enjoyed Hyper SF II. Aside from the annoying lack of save facility, it was nice to have an ultimate version that let you play around with settings from every arcade version etc. I know there are probably some people who will find something minor to nitpick about it but it was great in my opinion.

I did wonder if there would be an 'Ultra' edition (or something like that) this year for the 25th anniversary but I fail to see what else could be done to Street Fighter II at this point. After all, there was already the revamp in the form of Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix. I still wouldn't put it past Capcom though!
Joey wrote:I'm sure Madcatz will be doing some 25th sticks/pads which ill be interested to see. Not that I need another stick, I have 2.
I do get the feeling that it'll be an underwhelming event with a few expensive sticks and some DLC updates to SFIV (as Shadowman said). Still, we'll have to wait and see. Fingers crossed for something cool.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:41 am

I imagine it'll be an arcade collection akin to the Mario anniversary Wii thingy

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:24 am

Rayne wrote:I imagine it'll be an arcade collection akin to the Mario anniversary Wii thingy
More ports of 2

flying_delorean81

Post by flying_delorean81 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:52 am

I heard Chun Li is posing in Playboy as a thank you to loyal fans
My Instagram: @caveofpixels
My Facebook: THE CAVE OF PIXELS
My Tumblr: THE CAVE OF PIXELS
My DeviantART page: caveofpixels.deviantart.com

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:05 am

Like theres not already thousands of piccys of her with her keks off on the internet.

And that Street fighter anime with her in the shower

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:21 am

I hope it's a remake of the Streetfighter movie game with Kinect controls only.

Sir Hilary Bray

Post by Sir Hilary Bray » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:17 pm

I'm so bored of Street Fighter remakes now, I hope it's something different.

OldSkoolCoolFool

Post by OldSkoolCoolFool » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:51 pm

A remake of the original Street Fighter would do for me! Keep it 2d, make it play a bit less sh1t, let you use all the original characters and don't put any new ones in. Sorted!
Jagfest_UK wrote:Looks like your use of the letter T made your trousers fall down :wink:

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:51 am

There's going to be a Human Killing Machine remake, you just watch.
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

Smurph

Post by Smurph » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:03 pm

Surely since it's the 25th anniversary of the original, it would have to be to do with the original? I mean, I can't see them saying, 'Yay! 25 years since the original, now here's a remake of a 10 year old game!' If they do they're idiots. Remake the first one, but with SF3 mechanics... *drools*
Antiriad2097 wrote:There is no in or out, just a constant state of retro gamer.
Nowloading.co.uk My Retrobate Profile

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:01 pm

Smurph wrote:Surely since it's the 25th anniversary of the original, it would have to be to do with the original? I mean, I can't see them saying, 'Yay! 25 years since the original, now here's a remake of a 10 year old game!' If they do they're idiots. Remake the first one, but with SF3 mechanics... *drools*
Well they just mean that the series is 25 years old. Don't forget that the 15th anniversary compromised of Hyper Street Fighter II and the Xbox port of Third Strike, neither of which had anything to do with the 1987 game.