Retro Soccer Games

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

richie freebird

Re: Retro Soccer Games

Post by richie freebird » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:25 pm

I’ve got an 8-Bit football game on a weird Japanese bootleg Famicom cartridge on one of those multi cart things. It actually claims to be called Fifa. It’s obviously not Fifa, but it’s absolutely delightful.

I've just tried looking for some screenshots but it's so obscure that not even Google has heard of it.
And this bird you'll never change...

RMLF

Post by RMLF » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:00 pm

A nice old school mentalist football game, though Isometric is Fever Pitch Soccer

Banana Shots, Flaming Shots, Divers, Bruisers, Tricky's and frankly one of the best free kick systems Ive seen on any football game, immense.

Well worth the effort
The Artist Formerly Known as Ralph Milne's Left Foot :P

Wheres Gus Ceasar when you need him?... Pah!

Ralph's Trade/Sale Thread http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=22769

eeztheman

Post by eeztheman » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:01 pm

I always had a soft spot for Super Soccer on the SNES, was bundled with the SNES when I got it.......used the mode 7 to a good effect (at the time)

Had a real arcade feel to it, and once you got to play as the Nintendo Team (who were in black) you were pretty much unstoppable!

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:18 pm

RMLF wrote:A nice old school mentalist football game, though Isometric is Fever Pitch Soccer

Banana Shots, Flaming Shots, Divers, Bruisers, Tricky's and frankly one of the best free kick systems Ive seen on any football game, immense.

Well worth the effort
I have this on the Jaguar and it is a lot of fun, especially the player who dives all the time :lol:

boggyb68

Post by boggyb68 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:10 pm

My faves: Peles Soccer Atari 2600, NASL Soccer on the Intellivision, International Soccer (C64), Emlyn Hughes and Match Day 2(C64), Match Day 1 and 2 on the Spectrum, SWOS, Kick Off 2, Goal On the Amiga, FIFA 95 on the Mega Drive, ISS Pro Evo 2, Striker 96 and Actua Soccer 2 on the PS1, Sega World Soccer on the Dreamcast, PES2, PES4 and PES6 on the PS2, PES 2008, PES 2010, FIFA 10, 12 on PS3.

Loads of others I liked like: Microprose Soccer, street Sports Soccer (64), Manchester United various games) ISS various, Football Glory Amiga, Footballer Of The Year and loads of Management games also..

B.
Pinkle Squirmy Blip Blip Blip

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:49 am

Never seen this one before, but it looks fun, loving the sound effects:
Mexico '86
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

richie freebird

Post by richie freebird » Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:02 pm

I think the Famicom game I described above was actually “Soccer” with a mad Fifa intro screen attached for maximum bootleg sleaze. A lot of those several on one carts have altered intro screens, or the original intro screen removed comepletely.

Soccer – great little game. Here’s a very poor video of Soccer in action. The musical score during the matches is simply delightful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgTVUcMNuvY

Now go hunt yourself down a copy and get playing.
And this bird you'll never change...

batman877

Post by batman877 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:54 am

The best 2D football games are on the Amiga for sure:

Sensible Soccer
Goal!
Kick Off 2
Total Football (also on Megadrive)

The SNES has quite a few enjoyable 2D soccer games too:

Euro Football Champ
Fever Pitch Soccer (also on Megadrive) (known as 'Head On Soccer' in US)
International Superstar Soccer Deluxe
Kick Off
Super Goal
Super Goal 2
Super Soccer (yes, it's slow but it's still great fun with some fantastic music!)

Also worth mentioning some excellent 8-bit games...

Gary Lineker's Superstar Soccer
Emlyn Hughes' International Soccer
Footballer of the Year

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:19 am

If you want quirky, the Libero Grande games might be worth a whirl - you control just one player for the whole 90 minutes.
I know the modern PESs/FIFAs let you do this, but let's face it it's not the premise of the whole game!

crusto

Post by crusto » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:57 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:Adidas Power Soccer on PS1 has long been a favourite of mine. Ridiculous power moves that send goalie and ball to the back of the net and ott fouls make it more fun than any serious take on the 'sport'.
The old lob from the halfway line tactic was one of my favourite moves. Especially against people who didnt know how to do it.

Eat your nans pants

oldskoolgamer101

Post by oldskoolgamer101 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:12 pm

Came across this vid for Olympic Soccer. It's well worth getting around it lads! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIhgn7RC2PA

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:35 pm

oldskoolgamer101 wrote:Came across this vid for Olympic Soccer. It's well worth getting around it lads! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIhgn7RC2PA
I used to love Olympic Soccer on the Saturn back in the day but I think its aged really badly now.

Budly Moore

Post by Budly Moore » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:23 pm

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:Never seen this one before, but it looks fun, loving the sound effects:
Mexico '86
The original was called Kick N Run, it was a 4 player cab with foot pedals for shooting, Mexico 86 was the bootleg version the fairs had. Its a shame it was never converted to any home consoles (except the Famicom Disk System) ... its one of the best games ever.

Hit the post and your rewarded with the best 'hit the post' sound effect of all time.

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:17 am

Football Glory was a blatant rip-off of Sensi for the Amiga but had neat little features like overhead kicks, back heels and streakers. World Cup 94 was fun although it was possible to score from the same spot just before the 18 yard line every time and the loading times were abysmal.

Peter Beardsley's Soccer also needs to be played just once to appreciate how badly wrong it is possible to get a football game- a game where it's possible to get opposition defenders trapped behind your own strikers who refuse to move while you dribble all the way up the pitch with your midfielders and win 40-0.

Of course none of them match the majesty of INTERNATIONAL. SUPERSTAR SOCCER. DELUXE! for the SNES.

crusto

Post by crusto » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:23 am

I ended up on youtube yesterday after reading some of the posts on here, mainly watching videos of Pes 2 on the PS2. I forgot how good the pes series used to be. That game is my favourite footy game of all time, I lost hours and hours on it. Not strictly retro I know but worth a mention anyway.

I always liked formation soccer on the PCE, cracking game of footy (for the time). Snes super soccer was basically an updated version of it. On the 8 bit micros the best 2 that spring to mind are Emlyn Hughes on the C64 and Microprose on the C64. I had matchday 2 on the CPC but found it far too difficult and not entertaining enough to persevere with. Gary Linekers soccer wasnt bad thanks to the management side.

Eat your nans pants