Retro Soccer Games

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

The Laird

Re: Retro Soccer Games

Post by The Laird » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:56 pm

Sensible Soccer - Best footy game ever for me by far, on a number of systems but for me the Jaguar version is the best one with the Mega CD getting a close second.

European Soccer Challenge - On the Lynx. Also known as Manchester United Europe on the 16-bit computers and European Club Soccer on the Megadrive.

Microprose Soccer - First footy game that I can remember really really enjoying, the Speccy version was exellent and I also loved the ST version too.

International Superstar Soccer - As well as a very enjoyable version for the Megadrive there is of course the legendary PS1 version that introduced us to the revolutionary through ball.

Taito World Cup Finals - If you want to play something different and a bit crazy then fire this beauty up on MAME or hunt down the very hard to find but excellent Saturn conversion (also known as Hat Trick Hero)

Worldwide Soccer '98 - The king of Saturn footy games this is even better than the original game with a host of clubs teams along side the international teams and the ability to edit.

Striker - While I am most fond of the original ST version there are also quite different and also very good versions available for the Megadrive and Philips CD-i too!

Soccer Sidekicks - I saw you already mentioned this game but I thought I would add it anyway as I also really enjoyed this series on the Neo Geo.

Dam

Post by Dam » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:14 pm

Its 3D rather than 2D, but I have to mention the wonderful Soccer '97 on the PS1.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:54 pm

Nintendo World Cup on the NES, the first football game I ever played (and at time of writing, also the last!). Play as those weird little River City Ransom people and choose to use a "bumpy" pitch, by the end of the game there's players lying unconscious all over the place.

Neo Geo Cup '98 Plus Color on the Neo Geo Pocket Color takes football silliness to new heights, with the "Story" mode getting interrupted when a thief breaks into the changing room, and you have to chase him around the stadium to get your boots back. Then a scientist might show up to offer you some socks that make you run faster.

FIFA 98's always a favourite as well, slide tackling the keeper when he's picked up the ball. Or even getting the keeper to throw the ball into his own net, and the opposition STILL does those funny chicken-walk celebrations.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

JazzFunk

Post by JazzFunk » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:30 pm

As it's from 2000, and nobody really has that much great to say about the game, then ISS on PS2 (the first game). It NEVER gets the praises!

Rather than attempt the ambitious, it plays to the PS2's limitations and presents a very smooooooth soccer game with simple, robo-looking players but offers an outstandingly FUN game of soccer, which is pretty arcadey but still has plenty of depth should you choose to 'go advanced' with it. Me and my bro spent a good few years doing VS. on this game and we are both semi-autisitic spazz-outs with ADHD and chronic dysthymia who get very little pleasure out of most things, unless wazzed-out on druggages.

Probably 25p down CEX but it's *wonderful* in 2P mode, and still looks very sweet due to it being super-smooth n' simple-looking. Plus, it has crunchy-feeling tackles. Christ (*all wistful, now*)...gonna have to buy this again. Aaaaw. Love it! :D

Sixteen Plus

Post by Sixteen Plus » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:23 am

Microprose Soccer - C64
Probably the best footie game on the C64, with outdoor and indoor modes.

Liverpool - (C64)
If i recall, it plays similarly to Kick Off. I remember the preview screenshots which showed a completely different game, a side-perspective similar to Interntional Soccer on the C64, that version was never released. Probably a wise decision as the version I eventually played was great fun, it had a small management mode too to select your players.

International Soccer (C64)
The ultimate classic. Simple in it's most simplest form, but it paved the way proper for the genre.

Indoor Soccer (C16)
The only half-decent footie game on the C16. Side-view persppective. I think there was an enhanced plus/4 version where it included penalties which I don't think was available on the C16.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:10 am

Dam wrote:Its 3D rather than 2D, but I have to mention the wonderful Soccer '97 on the PS1.
It may be 3D but it plays very much like Sensible Soccer, a vey good football game.
JazzFunk wrote:As it's from 2000, and nobody really has that much great to say about the game, then ISS on PS2 (the first game). It NEVER gets the praises!

Rather than attempt the ambitious, it plays to the PS2's limitations and presents a very smooooooth soccer game with simple, robo-looking players but offers an outstandingly FUN game of soccer, which is pretty arcadey but still has plenty of depth should you choose to 'go advanced' with it. Me and my bro spent a good few years doing VS. on this game and we are both semi-autisitic spazz-outs with ADHD and chronic dysthymia who get very little pleasure out of most things, unless wazzed-out on druggages.

Probably 25p down CEX but it's *wonderful* in 2P mode, and still looks very sweet due to it being super-smooth n' simple-looking. Plus, it has crunchy-feeling tackles. Christ (*all wistful, now*)...gonna have to buy this again. Aaaaw. Love it! :D
If I remember correctly the Gamecube version was even better!

Oh and what the hell are you on about, PS2 limitations? PES? :P
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:06 am

Dam wrote:Its 3D rather than 2D, but I have to mention the wonderful Soccer '97 on the PS1.
Did you ever master the "sprint and slide" - a burst of speed as you approach the 18-yard box, letting the ball get away from you a bit, then slide tackling it into the net?

Guaranteed goal!

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:40 am

Not so retro and 3D but two good football games worth looking at, both Japan only though.

PS1 Dynamite Soccer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbmxaunW ... re=related

PS2 Football Kingdom.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-hoyfGL ... re=related

Football Kingdom offers immense freedom to move the ball around the pitch. It is like Sensi on console with the usual auto pass and shoot options but it also has a 'free' button which gives you full 360 degree passing and any height, and you can add curl. It does look almost like a spiritual successor to Olympic Soccer/Soccer '97.
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

Start

Post by Start » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:33 am

Amazing tips folks - cheers!

Sega Soccer Slam is currently winging its way to me - that looks like just the ticket.

Speaking of River City Ransom-style soccer games, I played this last night and its completely effing insane:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolucky%27 ... gue_Soccer

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:05 am

Wait, thought of another one:

Super Shot Soccer for the PS1 - never played it myself but looks right up your street, basically Shaolin Soccer turned into a game!

JazzFunk

Post by JazzFunk » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:06 pm

nakamura wrote:If I remember correctly the Gamecube version was even better!

Oh and what the hell are you on about, PS2 limitations? PES? :P
Soz mate, bad wording - I meant the limitations of early PS2 games, many of which looked pretty munted (inferior Dreamcast ports etc.) Didn't even know ISS 1 came out on the GC, was it only released in the JP/US regions cos I don't think it had a PAL incarnation, though the second and third ISS games did?

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:26 pm

Damn, forgot about that one Jazz, I was thinking of ISS 2 for some reason! :oops:

Havantgottaclue

Post by Havantgottaclue » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:29 pm

I know very little about football games, but one game that I did enjoy quite a bit was Italy 1990 on the C64. I'm sure it wasn't a patch on Microprose Soccer (which I think I picked up on budget at some point but didn't play much) but I enjoyed it. I seem to remember that if you could approach the opposing goal from a particular angle you could always score against the AI with a diagonal shot.
Soon you will have forgotten all things: soon all things will have forgotten you. (Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 7)

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:14 pm

UEFA Dream Soccer (Dreamcast) has some interesting features, especially in Arcade mode.

Time Attack, Survival mode and Gender Challenge spring to mind.

And the GOALS!!!
Insane aftertouch + hugely powerful shots + stupidly acrobatic players + crap goalies = at least a dozen "worldys" in a 10 minute match!

oldskoolgamer101

Post by oldskoolgamer101 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:14 am

Olympic Soccer (Saturn) - Difficult as all ****, but addictive enough.