Retro Soccer Games

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Start

Retro Soccer Games

Post by Start » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:56 pm

Hi all,

As a newbie, I wanted to begin with a new topic. I'm a huge fan of old, 2D soccer games - the fast gameplay of sprite-based football is something you just don't see any more. Modern soccer games get bogged down in realism, player inertia and real teams/tournaments, whereas old footie games often (accidentally) played like a side-scrolling beat 'em ups with a bit of pinball thrown in for good measure. Win!

So I ask you, what are the great, unsung 2D soccer games that I need to play. The top three (that I know of) for me are:

Sensible Soccer - Obviously! (Amiga)
Super Sidekicks 3 (Neo Geo)
Winning Eleven (GBA)

The less realistic the better . . .

Waz

Re: Retro Soccer Games

Post by Waz » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:10 pm

I'd add a fair few of this lot:

Kick Off (Amiga) - still one of the finest footy games ever made
Microprose Soccer (C64) - written by the Sensible Software folks
Super Cup Football (C64) - if you want a laugh with a football game, this is the one. You can curve your shot with aftertouch, but they went a bit crazy with it and you can actually curve the shot over 180 degrees, meaning you can score from a corner.
Emlyn Hughes International Soccer (C64) - spent many a tournament in eight player mode with this - me and my relatives all round the C64 in two player vs each other for each round of the Cup. Awful to look at, but gorgeous. I even modified the signage on the pitch to be more Man City related and saved out all the correct teams for the time (Man City, Man U, Liverpool etc) - those were the days.
Match Day 2 (Spectrum) - Jon Ritman's excellent football game and although it appeared on various formats, the Speccy was the best of the lot I think.
Warren Pilkington (Waz)
Former contributor to Zzap! 64, Commodore Format and HVSC
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/zawtowers/
Twitter: @zawtowers

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:15 pm

Yep loved Match Day II !

I must admit my favourite was Player Manager on the Amiga. Dino Dino created it, basically Kick off but with a bit of 'managerial' simulation to it as you could buy new players, play in cups/leagues, players would age etc. As long as you kept your 'player manager' playing you could play the games. The second you retired him it turned into a sim only game. I remember as a kid playing this game to death, our player manager was about 64 years old in the game, could hardly move but we had to keep him playing so we could play the games ourselves. Epic game back then.

Start

Post by Start » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:28 pm

Just watched a video of Super Cup Football, amazing! The ridiculous aftertouch is exactly what I'm talking about...

Also interested to hear about any 'character' soccer games. I know there are some Megaman soccer games out there, are they bobbins?

kaiserspike

Post by kaiserspike » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:35 pm

never played it but it's supposedly pants! I'm sure there's other character based footie games out there (Super Mario Strikers is a recent example) but the whole notion of such games leaves me cold.
Sensible Soccer, look no further. Never got the appeal of Kick off, though, i only played it on the Game Gear at the time. Quite enjoyed the Super SIdekicks series, with the "super psyche ups" and all that!
Bit of a stickler for realism, or attempted realism though, so I wouldn't be revisiting the older soccer games much.
Destiny!.... you cannot destroy my destiny!

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:37 pm

Player Manager . . . . ok, it got silly that in your mid 40s you could still score a bucket load but . . .
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

steve82

Post by steve82 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:41 pm

striker - snes

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:49 pm

Striker '96 on PS1 and Saturn.

Wonderfully playable, insanely fast but still enough depth to keep people who like realism interested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GK0op_IEDI
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:23 pm

Football Champ (arcade game by Taito) - play it for the Engrish commentary alone!

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:52 pm

If you're looking for silly footy games, then -

Chris Kamara's Street Soccer (PS1)

Sega Soccer Slam (Gamecube).

Also, not a silly game, but Striker and Kevin Keegan's Player Manager on the SNES were great blasts.
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

Hitman_HalStep

Post by Hitman_HalStep » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:34 pm

world soccer on the master system was rubbish but i played that game endlessly it had a penalty shootout option that was probably better than a full match.
the pinnacle for me was fifa 2002 on ps2 not that realistic but great fun,you can even earn points to add to players stats so eventually you end up with a super team.
"i swear the thing is evolving before my eyes,if you see something this big with eight legs heading towards you let me know,i have to kill it before it develops language skills"

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:43 pm

Adidas Power Soccer on PS1 has long been a favourite of mine. Ridiculous power moves that send goalie and ball to the back of the net and ott fouls make it more fun than any serious take on the 'sport'.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Lord Innit

Post by Lord Innit » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:56 pm

Peles Soccer on the 2600 offers the most accurate simulation of football.........................where's my pills?

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:58 pm

kick off
kick off 2
goal
player manager

all the kick off games really

daysleeper

Post by daysleeper » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:33 pm

I'd also say Goal on Amiga. Me and my best mate used to switch between Goal and Sensible Soccer all the time. Aah, If we could only relive those teenage years :)
Visit my videogame collection online at http://home.scarlet.be/gamevault