Retro City Rampage

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

gman72

Re: Retro City Rampage

Post by gman72 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:43 pm

It is still NOT out on PSN and it's really getting me narked, I could get it on Xbox but i want it on my Vita and have brought a PSN voucher for that purpose. When-the-hell will Sony pull their bloody finger out?
Last edited by gman72 on Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

ChipTune

Post by ChipTune » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:40 pm

I got the XBLA for review and it is slightly better than the PC version I gave a rather harsh 5 / 10 to.

It's still not a very satisfying game. It relies on bombarding you with pretty unfunny gags.. though some are pretty good.

I actually enjoyed the mini-games included in 'Nolan's Arcade' more than the actual RCR gameplay. There are some improvements over the PC version too in the form of better save checkpoints, and more explanation of what to do in the many different parts.

I will write up a new review when I finish it.. though I am starting to get bored of it.

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:43 pm

yeah, seen loads of reviews that confirm it is the best version, will get this when I have finished the games I got for Christmas

gman72

Post by gman72 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:22 pm

HalcyonDaze00 wrote:yeah, seen loads of reviews that confirm it is the best version, will get this when I have finished the games I got for Christmas
If you are lucky it may be out on PSN by then.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

ChipTune

Post by ChipTune » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:29 am

Still slogging my way through this bloody game in order to review it.. it's so fiddly and irritating.. it's not half as fun or satisfying as the games it parodies. The twin stick shooter parts are awful, and the Battletoads style race against Buttnik is a crime against gaming.

The Bit Trip runner mini game is the best thing about RCR.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:34 pm

I've been reading some forum posts on the official PSN website concerning Retro City Rampage. It would seem it may not be available on PSN until March. From what the posters were saying the game has been Certified by SCEE but is awaiting word from the publishers on the preferred release date. After the date is confirmed QA testing can take from 4-6 weeks before finally being uploaded to PSN. SCEE are blaming the publishers for the delay apparently.
Now I have no idea how much of this info is actually real maybe not much but I know there's rarely no smoke without fire and the game is already out on PC, XBLA and this week on the Wii network so there's certainly some kind of hokum going on with the game behind the closed doors of Sony.
Anyway, I really wanted to play this on my Vita but can no longer be bothered to wait... Xbox it is then :roll:
http://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/ ... p/17329414

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:52 am

January 16 for PSN. Cross buy as well. :D

gman72

Post by gman72 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:48 am

Well I couldn't wait for Sony so I got it on XBLA.

TheNewMonkey

Post by TheNewMonkey » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:53 am

gman72 wrote:Well I couldn't wait for Sony so I got it on XBLA.
how you finding it? I love it :D

the first thing I did was change the display setting to full screen, that way you can see further ahead, makes the game way better, the original setting cuts loads off each side of the screen.
3DS FC 4596-9477-3816

Mire Mare

Post by Mire Mare » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:19 am

TheNewMonkey wrote:

the first thing I did was change the display setting to full screen, that way you can see further ahead, makes the game way better, the original setting cuts loads off each side of the screen.
Change the setting to full screen?! Why didn't I check the settings?!?! I played the demo and was disappointed by those huge borders and that contributed to the reasons I didn't buy the game!! I'll have to check the demo again tonight as this may just redeem the game in my eyes.

Joey

Post by Joey » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:12 pm

Yep there is a load of graphics filters and borders to choose from.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:59 pm

TheNewMonkey wrote:

So far it's absolutely excellent. I checked all the filters and they are pretty cool but full screen is the better option for gameplay, i did enjoy the original Gameboy mode though. The presentation is lovely with plenty of options and colourful cut-scenes, the character sprites whilst a tad small are lively and very well drawn, you can tell this thing is a labour of love. The gameplay is GTA on a NES... what's not to love. However what tops the bill for me is the chip music which is fantastic and varied covering different genres and styles, if the OST for this games gets released then i'm buying.

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:55 pm

looking forward to getting this

Joey

Post by Joey » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:26 am

gman72 wrote: if the OST for this games gets released then i'm buying.
The soundtrack has been available on the official website for quite a while now. There is a free mix tape download and you can buy the full soundtrack on mp3 or limited edition vinyl.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:10 pm

The game is currently on promo for £5.99 on Steam.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac