Retro City Rampage

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

The Beans

Re: Retro City Rampage

Post by The Beans » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:45 am

I just think there's a pattern forming.
It's "nearly coming" on a given format then it goes quiet ... and then the game is "nearly coming" on another format with no mention of the previous format.

He's showing it on the Vita at the upcoming PAX according to his Twitter.

I'm getting deja vu here.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

Lorfarius

Post by Lorfarius » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:50 am

The weird thing is from the vids it appears to be mostly complete, not even sure how difficult it would be to port to other systems but why not release it on one then push for another. When it first came out it was announced as being exclusive to Xbox Live, maybe if they had stuck to that it would have worked out better. You have projects on Kickstarter that are better looking and much more complicated running for a lot less than he has mentioned in the past, plus many more that have actually been completed without a full team of devs so he's no excuse.

Last year he's biggest issue seemed to be getting it through the Xbox approval process so it must have been at a finished state.
For all your mad retro gaming needs, regular content on a daily basis!

https://www.youtube.com/user/Lorfarius

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:02 am

Lorfarius wrote:When it first came out it was announced as being exclusive to Xbox Live, maybe if they had stuck to that it would have worked out better.
Last year he's biggest issue seemed to be getting it through the Xbox approval process so it must have been at a finished state.
I totally agree that he should focus on one version and get it out there. Most developers would do this. The pre-order page on his site suggests he's close to getting the pc version out.

Maybe he failed certification for Xbox Live or failed to meet one of the certification milestones. It costs a lot of money to get through certification for XBLA, especially if there's repeated fails. Maybe the game is totally stalled on this.

The nightmare scenario for those of us who want the game is that all he's got is a playable demo that he keeps porting to new formats and then touting around the shows.
The other nightmare scenario is that he's an indie developer who can't let go of his project or just doesn't have the resources or focus to see it through to completion.

I think this game needs a decent publisher behind it now tbh. The concept is great and gameplay videos look really great. Somebody like EA would have had this out there by now.

Lorfarius

Post by Lorfarius » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:09 am

The Beans wrote:
Lorfarius wrote:
Maybe he failed certification for Xbox Live or failed to meet one of the certification milestones. It costs a lot of money to get through certification for XBLA, especially if there's repeated fails. Maybe the game is totally stalled on this.

The nightmare scenario for those of us who want the game is that all he's got is a playable demo that he keeps porting to new formats and then touting around the shows.
Listening to the IdleThumbs podcast they mentioned recently that its about $10'000 to put a games patches up for approval so expect it to be similar for games.

Never thought of it only being a demo. Would explain a lot though as I doubt it would be difficult just to port that, he's also been going around saying how there's only him working on it so the chances are like you say he just doesn't have the skill set or ability to finish it. Shame as it looks so damn good and I think with all the publicity and excitement a publisher could easily take it on.
For all your mad retro gaming needs, regular content on a daily basis!

https://www.youtube.com/user/Lorfarius

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:42 pm

some comments that the game has been delayed to feb 2013................

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:06 am

HalcyonDaze00 wrote:some comments that the game has been delayed to feb 2013................
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rp6-wG5LLqE
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:21 am

HalcyonDaze00 wrote:some comments that the game has been delayed to feb 2013................
Comments from where?
Although it's far too easy to believe unfortunately. There's a definite whiff of Eau de Psyclapse around this project at the moment.

Afr0Blu3

Post by Afr0Blu3 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:11 am

It does look like a fantastic and fun experience all around, but as it is an indie developer, and as it has been so long now, I've stopped following or keeping track of the project. I'll get it when it eventually surfaces, if it does indeed surface, but it'll very much be a case of flicking through the XBox Marketplace and going "Oh, bloody hell!" or having a friend of mine casually mention it to me.
ImageImage

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:17 am

The Beans wrote:The nightmare scenario for those of us who want the game is that all he's got is a playable demo that he keeps porting to new formats and then touting around the shows.

The other nightmare scenario is that he's an indie developer who can't let go of his project or just doesn't have the resources or focus to see it through to completion.
Agree with this.... sometimes if you're too close to something, you can't see what you have... or don't... and pursue it to the ends of the Earth.

I still have my fingers crossed for it though...
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:46 am

some comments on the official site that a few people have the played the PSVita version, but as mentioned above, it could just be the same demo.

still no word on a release date, the cnut

Joey

Post by Joey » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:56 am

The Vita version has now been playable at E3, ComicCon and Pax but it seems none of the big sites has done any sort of feature on it that I've seen?

WesY2K

Post by WesY2K » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:28 am

I don't knwo when this was posted but the official webpage states:
Expected Release Date...
The game is complete, just final bug fixes and paperwork holding it back.
A release window should be announced within the next couple of weeks. Thanks for your patience!

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:34 am

2009 I think.......

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:06 pm

how long before we see a kickstarter for this?

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:57 am

Retro City Rampage, the downloadable love-letter to the 8-bit era, launches on PlayStation Network and PS Vita this month.

That's all we have for a European release date. In the US the PS3, Vita and PC versions launch on 9th October, creator Brian Provinciano told Joystiq.

The WiiWare and Xbox Live Arcade versions have a vague later in 2012 release window.

In the US, $14.99 gets you both the PS3 and Vita versions. The PC version costs the same.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012- ... nd-ps-vita