Amiga 1200 questions

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

kaiserspike

Amiga 1200 questions

Post by kaiserspike » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:03 pm

There's one for sale in my local games dungeon, which has a reputation for ridiculously overpricing their stock.
Recently an Amiga 1200 has materialized in the back of the shop, just the unit (desktop?) no peripherals?
Many happy memories on various Amigas down the years (My cousin was a aficionado) and must say i'm tempted.
What do you think a reasonable price is the stand alone is? Or do you think the cost will be too much to get it up and running?
Destiny!.... you cannot destroy my destiny!

Smiffy

Re: Amiga 1200 questions

Post by Smiffy » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:20 pm

Reasonable price for an A1200 = priceless :D Seriously though - what does eBay reckon? But don't bid on anything Amiga related in Bucks, that's all mine ;)

SexyWayne

Post by SexyWayne » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:47 pm

Tough question, I paid near enough 80 quid for mine 6 or 7 years back but it was/is in absolutely mint condition, then I spent another couple of hundred quid on a Blizzard 1230 accelerator for it, a large HDD & CD Drive... put another way if I was to ever sell it I'd expect at least a couple of hundred quid judging by this eBay listing alone: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Turbo-1230-Ac ... 19cc6aa81e

Judging by some other listings the prices seem to be all over the place ranging from auctions starting at 99p to barebone systems at over a hundred smackers..

TMR

Post by TMR » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:15 pm

If it's literally just the machine itself and no mouse, don't forget to factor in getting hold of one as well...!

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:18 pm

TMR wrote:If it's literally just the machine itself and no mouse, don't forget to factor in getting hold of one as well...!
I made this error of judgment when I got my CD32, paid more for the controller than the console!

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:56 pm

Personally would look for one that at least had a hard drive installed. Usually buying a bundle with games pre-installed on the hd and peripherals is much more cost-efficient than buyong a machine on its own.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Evander

Post by Evander » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:39 am

IronMaidenRule wrote:
I made this error of judgment when I got my CD32, paid more for the controller than the console!
Ditto. And soon after my console stopped reading discs. Any suggestions welcome!

Kai

Post by Kai » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:59 am

Well, if you aim for the system only (without the original box, peripherals, etc.) then a good price may be something between £45 and £70.

rocky1980

Post by rocky1980 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:18 pm

IT can be hard to put a price on it. but if the yellowing is not to bad then £50/£60ish would be fair
Rocky
King of The Quids 2011 Winner :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/rockythefishman

Image Image

mightyred666

Post by mightyred666 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:33 am

I just wouldn't even risk buying just the console alone. The extra cost of finding all the other parts might be a lot more than just finding a bundle on ebay.

retrosofer

Post by retrosofer » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:17 am

Kai wrote:Well, if you aim for the system only (without the original box, peripherals, etc.) then a good price may be something between £45 and £70.

Wow, £45-£70 just for the A1200 on its own with no leads or anything, i totally disagree, thats a hidiously bloated price to pay for the machine on its own and i wouldn't pay anything like that amount. I'd say, if you have no power lead or av cable to test that the thing is working properly, then its sold as is, and possibly not working, there for i'd pay £10-£15, otherwise the seller can go sing in fairy land if they scoff at the offer, and £10-£15 is probably too generous when taking the risk of buying an A1200 that might not work.

I bought 2 A1200 machines back in 06 or there abouts, and they both cost me around £30 each, both came with mouse, av cables, power leads, and absolutely tones of decent boxed games, and i mean loads of games and software. I know retro prices have gone through the roof in recent years, and these kinds of deals would be £70 upwards these days, but you should be able to get a decent deal off of ebay if you wait it out for the right one to come along.
I say wait it out on ebay as not all sellers try and rip people off. Try and get a package that comes with all cables and a few games to start you off, but i say try and get a deal that is reasonably priced, as low as you can get, under £60-£70 at least.

kaiserspike

Post by kaiserspike » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:50 am

Thanks all for your replies and insight, gives me a better idea on how to proceed with this, will prob go the ebay route if i want to follow up on the interest.
I'll let ye know how much the guy in store wants for it.

That might be good for a laugh!

Thanks again

kaiserspike

Post by kaiserspike » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:23 am

He's looking for €50 for it, which doesn't seem too bad, apparently there's a "load" of games and magazines and cables thrown into the deal as well.
Still don't know if it works though.

r0jaws

Post by r0jaws » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:16 am

retrosofer wrote:.....Wow, £45-£70 just for the A1200 on its own with no leads or anything, i totally disagree, thats a hidiously bloated price to pay for the machine on its own and i wouldn't pay anything like that amount. I'd say, if you have no power lead or av cable to test that the thing is working properly, then its sold as is, and possibly not working, there for i'd pay £10-£15, otherwise the seller can go sing in fairy land if they scoff at the offer, and £10-£15 is probably too generous when taking the risk of buying an A1200 that might not work.

I bought 2 A1200 machines back in 06 or there abouts, and they both cost me around £30 each, both came with mouse, av cables, power leads, and absolutely tones of decent boxed games, and i mean loads of games and software. I know retro prices have gone through the roof in recent years, and these kinds of deals would be £70 upwards these days, but you should be able to get a decent deal off of ebay if you wait it out for the right one to come along.
I say wait it out on ebay as not all sellers try and rip people off. Try and get a package that comes with all cables and a few games to start you off, but i say try and get a deal that is reasonably priced, as low as you can get, under £60-£70 at least.
Back in 2006 you could pick up a 1200 for around £20-30, if you were lucky.
Those days, unfortunately, are long gone. Amiga's are now pricey pieces of kit in many areas and the prices are not likely to go down any time soon. A functioning, bog standard a1200 base unit with mouse, PSU and a couple of discs will be upwards of £50-£70. At the moment you would be lucky to get a functioning motherboard for less than £30. Any extras will push the price up a lot more. Memory expansions and accelerators go for serious money, but once you have an established system, WHDLoad is a fantastic method of playing hundreds of Amiga Games.

r0jaws

Post by r0jaws » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:20 am

kaiserspike wrote:He's looking for €50 for it, which doesn't seem too bad, apparently there's a "load" of games and magazines and cables thrown into the deal as well.
Still don't know if it works though.
That's not a bad price as it happens. One thing to look out for in 1200's these days, are the caps. They were low quality and poorly installed and are now starting to leak all over and destroy the motherboards they are mounted in. Replacing them isn't to arduous, if you can solder, and is now rightly considered an essential maintenance step.
I've replaced all the caps on all my Amiga's, several for guys on Amibay and a couple of CD32's and every single one of them had bad caps, that had just started to go.
It's certainly worth checking out.