Missed classics

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Smurph

Missed classics

Post by Smurph » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:02 am

I may get run out of town for this, but I only started actually giving Chrono Trigger a proper go last night.

Fellow forum members, I am ashamed to have missed this game. Why did I not play it sooner, you ask? Lack of time? Motivation? I don't really know. I gave it 15 minutes about a year ago, and never played it again, until bored at work last night I decided to start again. And it's f**king brilliant.

So, what is your shame? Which utter classic have you never played?
Antiriad2097 wrote:There is no in or out, just a constant state of retro gamer.
Nowloading.co.uk My Retrobate Profile

psj3809

Re: Missed classics

Post by psj3809 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:06 am

Interesting to hear you talk about this game, i never played it the first time round, was tempted to buy the iOS version but didnt. The 'cute' japanese type graphics puts me off but i've heard so many good things about it i keep thinking i need to give this game a go

Let me know how you're getting on with it as i might be tempted to get this.

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:06 am

One I really was upset at not playing was Banjo Tooie, and also Conkers Bad Fur Day - I finished every other RARE N64 game and all the first party stuff, just never got those 2.

Also Resident Evil 1 - at the time I had a Saturn so I was playing Panzer Dragoon and Fighters Megamix etc.

Smurph

Post by Smurph » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:55 am

psj3809 wrote:Interesting to hear you talk about this game, i never played it the first time round, was tempted to buy the iOS version but didnt. The 'cute' japanese type graphics puts me off but i've heard so many good things about it i keep thinking i need to give this game a go

Let me know how you're getting on with it as i might be tempted to get this.
Well, I'm only about an hour and a half in, but I'm absolutely loving it. The battle system in particular is tremendous, especially the team up attacks.
Antiriad2097 wrote:There is no in or out, just a constant state of retro gamer.
Nowloading.co.uk My Retrobate Profile

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:59 am

Ico/Shadow of the Collosus for me. I'd heard great things about both but never got round to getting either to play. Finally picked them up when the HD Collection was released last year and have really enjoyed both of them.
Mootown wrote:Also Resident Evil 1
Same here. I owned the first one for the Playstation (came in a bundle) and sold it for more 2D fighters. When Code Veronica for the DC was released I gave the series another try and have been hooked on them ever since.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:51 am

Smurph wrote:So, what is your shame? Which utter classic have you never played?
Well, apparently I've yet to play these "Classics" (yet I do actually currently own them)

Ico. PS2.
Red Dead Redemption. X360.
Dragon Age: Origins. X360.
Gears of War 2. X360.
Bioshock 2. X360.
Assassin's Creed. (beyond the quick Animus tutorial) X360.
Metal Gear Solid 2: Guns of the Patriots. PS2.
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater. PS2.
Knights of the Old Republic. PC.
Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords. PC.

Well, I've actually just installed Knights of the Old Republic and am giving it it's long-deserved playthrough.
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:17 pm

I've still to play any Monkey Island game for more than a couple of minutes. Weird since I enjoy a point n clicker.

There's lots of others but for some reason I know I'd enjoy this one having played the games around them, yet never quite start it off. I do this a lot, saving games for a rainy day, then that day never arrives. By the time I get round to them they're horribly dated.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:28 pm

System Shock 2. I played Bioshock after hearing about how amazing SS2 is, but I've never played it. Alas, I don't think I ever will get to play it - unless GoG or someone re-releases it or it gets an HD remake.

Hitman_HalStep

Post by Hitman_HalStep » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:33 pm

resi 4,supposedly the pinnacle of the series and i've never even watched it running let alone played it.i could have borrowed it from my brother but couldn't be bothered at the time.
"i swear the thing is evolving before my eyes,if you see something this big with eight legs heading towards you let me know,i have to kill it before it develops language skills"

Havantgottaclue

Post by Havantgottaclue » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:49 pm

theantmeister wrote:System Shock 2. I played Bioshock after hearing about how amazing SS2 is, but I've never played it. Alas, I don't think I ever will get to play it - unless GoG or someone re-releases it or it gets an HD remake.
I've got a copy of SS2 on disc. It won't run on anything more recent than Windows 98 without considerable effort. There are a few fixes around to get it to run on Win 2000/XP but I haven't tried them out yet. Anyone else had any luck?
Soon you will have forgotten all things: soon all things will have forgotten you. (Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 7)

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:11 pm

Majora's Mask. Bought it years ago & didn't even put it in the N64. It now sits in a box in the deepest, darkest corner of my loft. :oops:

delbert_trout

Post by delbert_trout » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:19 pm

Since there's bugger all on telly this evening, think I shall probably get comfortable in the chair and finally start Zelda OOT (N64 version) for the first time after having it sitting around for about six months! Only played Link to the Past before (which I enjoyed every minute of), so looking forward to seeing if this one is as good as I've heard.

Other missed classics for me include Doom, Quake, and FF7 which I seem to be in rather a minority of people never to have played - I'll get to them! (Nice one about Chrono Trigger by the way, utterly superb game, looking forward to another playthrough of that myself sometime) :)
http://www.retrogamer.net/user/delbert_trout

When you think you've got problems you don't really need,
They're maybe not as bad as they seem,
Cos in a world full of misery, with hatred and greed,
Your problems are another man's dream.

QuantumCrayons

Post by QuantumCrayons » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:22 pm

Chrono Trigger too; currently playing Dragon Quest games though, so no time :P

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:38 pm

I picked up Illusion of Time on the SNES - is it any good?
Xbox Live: RetroBob

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:39 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:I've still to play any Monkey Island game for more than a couple of minutes. Weird since I enjoy a point n clicker.
I only got around to playing Monkey Island 1 when it was released on XBLA, and really liked it...so much so that I immediately downloaded Monkey Island 2 when it was also ported....and Monkey Island 2 has sat on my Xbox 360 HDD ever since, unplayed. :? I never seem to get around to it. :oops:
Last edited by ToxieDogg on Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!