C64 Vs Spectrum - Let's end the debate

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Which was the best?

Poll ended at Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:15 am

Commodore 64
49%
ZX Spectrum
51%

Total votes: 83

Robbo

Re: C64 Vs Spectrum - Let's end the debate

Post by Robbo » Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:48 pm

PaulEMoz wrote:Spectrum owners across the internet always seem to be a lot louder in these debates
Interestingly enough, I was just reading through this thread and was confused how the split can be 50/50 (as of this post) yet it seemed like nearly everyone was citing the Spacky as their machine of choice.

Interesting.......

AmigaJay

Post by AmigaJay » Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:50 pm

As someone said in one of the many C64 - Speccy threads atm, most owners of C64/Speccy/CPC were happy at the time to own what 8-bit machine they did, the only time thing i remember being a Speccy owner of being envious of, was the Amiga/ST graphics on the adverts not the CPC/C64 ones, i certainly wasn't going to upgrade from an 8-bit to another 8-bit when 16-bit machines were out there getting cheaper by the year!

DigitalDuck

Post by DigitalDuck » Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:57 pm

Modern PC. I can stick a Speccy emulator and a C64 emulator on it and not care which is better.
Xbox Live | YouTube | Top games picture | Top games list

Help needed for gaming-related projects! PM or email for full details if you can do:
2D or 3D art
Story writing
Shmup level design

Spector

Post by Spector » Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:05 pm

Crunchy wrote:Honestly, I seriously wish many of you on this censored awful forum would just censored off and die rather than continue with the pathetic fanboy bollocks you all come out with whenever somebody doesn't kiss the arse of your pet gaming platform. The way you try to twist fact and history to further your childish brand loyalties is a censored joke.
Steady on there, Dr Crunch. Open the window - there's plenty of fresh air.

On a broader note, I think the C64 had all the tools to sum up what the 80s were about (except in isometric/3D games), and the SID was for me pound for pound the best sound chip ever made for a computer or console. You can't go wrong with the C64.
The Retro Gaming Discord channel. Every Sunday from 9pm- click this link:
https://discordapp.com/invite/Tphe4UH

Don't be scared: join in the chat! :)

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:08 pm

I had a speccy when I was a kid so obviously i prefer that :shock: :roll:
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:11 pm

Katzkatz wrote:This is one of those debates that will never end, though.
It will when us lot are pushing daisies.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:12 pm

AmigaJay wrote:As someone said in one of the many C64 - Speccy threads atm, most owners of C64/Speccy/CPC were happy at the time to own what 8-bit machine they did, the only time thing i remember being a Speccy owner of being envious of, was the Amiga/ST graphics on the adverts not the CPC/C64 ones, i certainly wasn't going to upgrade from an 8-bit to another 8-bit when 16-bit machines were out there getting cheaper by the year!
:oops: My C64 was doing me fine, till a friends older brother bought a 520ST, seeing (and hearing) IK+ with sampled sounds from 'Enter The Dragon' and Starglider 2 running......upgraded within matter of weeks...just knew the 16 Bit era had arrived.

Had read about the ST since my A8 days in Atari User (Star Trek etc), but seeing it running in the flesh....SOLD!

Did feel little guilty giving up on trusty C64 though.

necronom

Post by necronom » Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:21 pm

Crunchy wrote:Honestly, I seriously wish many of you on this censored awful forum...
If you hate the forum that much, why are you here?

There was a retro forum I hated, so I stopped going there.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

AceGrace

Post by AceGrace » Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:47 pm

I have a rather chequered past when it comes to computers.

I first owned a ZX81. Then moved onto the spectrum only for it to die with a burnt keyboard ribbon after 6 months. My dad sent it back to Sinclair for repair but I never saw it again. He wrote a stinking letter to Sinclair after about 6 weeks of me pestering him and got a refund. Next thing I knew he came home one day with a BBC B. I eventually moved on to the Amstrad 6128, then once I left school I got a C64.

One thing I adored about the C64 and Beeb was the loading music. Always felt a bit peeved that the spectrum didn't do this (at the time).

If you put me in a corner, I would have to say the spectrum. In the short time I owned it I had some amazing games but I always secretly hated it for being so low tech. Most of my friends had spectrums. Only one had a C64 and he was a bit of a nob but he did have the most amazing stash of jazz mags.

His mum once walked in on us playing track and field and she thought we were abusing ourselves!!!! :lol:

Anyway, I digress. Spectrum for me.

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:21 pm

Crunchy wrote:Honestly, I seriously wish many of you on this censored awful forum would just censored off and die rather than continue with the pathetic fanboy bollocks you all come out with whenever somebody doesn't kiss the arse of your pet gaming platform. The way you try to twist fact and history to further your childish brand loyalties is a censored joke.
Well, no one's keeping you here, don't let the door hit you on the way out...

Debate is fun. My previous statement is merely opinion as well, but having played a lot of the adventures from Infocom, Level 9 and Rainbird, amongst other publishers, I think the C64 was pretty well stocked adventure wise. Besides, trying to type your input on that rubber keyboard must have been utter torment compared to the proper keyboard that C64 owners had on offer...
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Ferret Oxide

Post by Ferret Oxide » Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:43 pm

Really? This is going to be a poll in the mag? I hear a barrel being scraped...

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:32 pm

Ferret Oxide wrote:Really? This is going to be a poll in the mag? I hear a barrel being scraped...

Why? It's a debate that has gone on for nearly 30 years!!! It should have been debated before in the mag - we all should be debating it... mass-debating it :D
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

Spector

Post by Spector » Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:54 am

The Spectrum was a computer that became a games machine while the C64 was a games machine that became a computer, and that difference is the root of nearly all the differences between the two. As a computer, the Spectrum was weak with regards to use of colour, sound and scrolling for games, whereas as a games machine, the C64 was weak with regards to BASIC programming, the screen/text contrast, aesthetic appearance and even the keyboard, though similar in design to the real thing as opposed to the rubber Spectrum, is not too friendly on the index fingers. But when all is said and done, I love both machines, and when I get home tonight, I'll be firing up a few games of Attack of The Mutant Camels and Matrix. Happy New Year, folks :)
The Retro Gaming Discord channel. Every Sunday from 9pm- click this link:
https://discordapp.com/invite/Tphe4UH

Don't be scared: join in the chat! :)

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:46 am

As for should we be debating this - this single question topped all others in schoolyards around Britain in the 80s. It came down not to which was actually better, but which machine our parents bought us for Christmas.

The Spectrum was a cheap machine, put together by an innovative businessman who wanted to see every home with a personal computer. It wasn't particularly good at any one thing (although programming was, apparently, made relatively easy), but it was cheap; pound for pound better than anything else out there. The C64 on the other hand was a custom piece of kit, with some pretty amazing stuff going on inside, not least with the soundchip. However the machine was much more expensive, and to get the best out of the machine required a diskdrive which made it almost unaffordable in austerity 80s Britain. That's why the Speccy was far more prevalent, and theerfore more popular; kids tend to not admit that their machine is 'second best'.

However all that is regarding the power of the machine, and as I've already said if it was simply a case of power then the Speccy would not even come close to the C64. Having said that one could argue that a C64 didn't come close to a diskdrive equipped Atari 800XL.

This was a time when programmers attempted to make the best of what they had - when there were no boundaries to what could be achieved; an almost limitless universe for the player to trade/fight/police/pirate? No problem. Conversions of arcade machines which had 100 times the power of the home machine? No problem. Converting 16 bit games into machines with nowhere near the same capabilities - and still make them as playable? No problem.

Invariably it comes down to games; and games tended to be best on the system they were originally designed for. Just like Dropzone/Eletraglide/Fractulus on the A8 beating the C64 conversions hands down, ganes originally designed with the Spectrum in mind were better than the C64 ports. And games programmed initially for the C64 were better than their Speccy ports.

The dificulty comes with games that were designed by different teams for different systems simultaeneously. Sometimes it came down to the quality of the programming team given the task, sometimes to the fact that one machine was simply better at doing certain games than the other. The most interesting are those which built the game around the capabilities of the host machine. Quatron/Paradroid, Buggy Boy and Carrier Command are just 3 games were the designers took different approaches, came up with different types of game , but all based around the same blueprints. Which is better? Neither, it's all down to preference. Doyou prefer a game that's more like the arcade? Well that's Buggy Boy for the Speccy. Do you prefer a game that is based around the arcade , but everything's shrunk but at the same time made much more playable? Well that's the C64. Do you prefer top down with a more shoot 'em up style? That's Paradroid on the C64. Do you prefer isometric with a more strtegic approach? That's Quazatron on the Speccy.

Whichever way you look at it, for every fgood C64 game there's an equally good Speccy game; it really is a draw and then it all comes down to your more favourite games. Me, I plike playing Mugsy , Wheelie and Atic Atac , so it has to be the Speccy. I do also enjoy plyaying many C64, but if I'm being honest it's the SID tunes more than the games that draws me to that machine.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

TMR

Post by TMR » Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:13 am

paranoid marvin wrote:Having said that one could argue that a C64 didn't come close to a diskdrive equipped Atari 800XL.
Not very easily you couldn't. =-)