C64 Vs Spectrum - Let's end the debate

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Which was the best?

Poll ended at Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:15 am

Commodore 64
49%
ZX Spectrum
51%

Total votes: 83

necronom

Re: C64 Vs Spectrum - Let's end the debate

Post by necronom » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:30 am

The C64, obviously.

It's like comparing a Jaguar with a Cortina. Some people might prefer the Cortina, as it was cheaper and they had one, but it's clearly not as good.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

AmigaJay

Post by AmigaJay » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:37 am

HalcyonDaze00 wrote:The C64 wiped the floor with the Spectrum - miles better sound, graphics and games. It's not even a contest.
It shouldn't even be a contest, it's like comparing the neogeo to the megadrive, of course the more expensive machine would be more powerful, not long after the c64 launch in the uk in 1983, the c64 was £399 and the spectrum was £129.....there's one reason the spectrum trounched the c64 in the uk!

TMR

Post by TMR » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:54 am

Freestyler wrote:Spectrum's power pack kept my feet warm. There's another category!

WINNAR!
For several years i had a C128D and C64, two 1541s and a 1581 running and it could be the middle of feckin' December with snow on the ground and the heating turned off but i'd still need a window open because it was too warm - that's a win to the C64!

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:54 am

:wink: Mega Apocalypse compare the C64 version (goregous 3D starfields, speech etc) with the 128K Spectrum version, so with twice as much memory and this supposed good Speccy sound chip we get:No speech, weak sound FX, small playing area and monocolour shaded graphics.

Murky colours, blocky visuals in C64 games goes the sterotype, so not played:Last Ninja series, Platoon, Target Renegade, Dan Dare 2, Combat School, Micropose Soc., Denarius, Stormlord, Renegade 3, Dragon Ninja, Armalyte, I.O, Clystron, Nebulus, Bounces, Mega Starforce, Quod Init Exit, Nodes Of Yesod, Monty On The Run, Mayhem, Trailblazer, Cosmic Causeway, Zamzara, Octapolis, Hunters Moon, etc etc

Never a contest, sure we got poor conversions of R-Type, Chase H.Q and few others rushed out the door, but you can apply that to games today, bug ridden, not making great use of host hardware etc nature of the industry.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:55 am

TMR wrote:
Freestyler wrote:Spectrum's power pack kept my feet warm. There's another category!

WINNAR!
For several years i had a C128D and C64, two 1541s and a 1581 running and it could be the middle of feckin' December with snow on the ground and the heating turned off but i'd still need a window open because it was too warm - that's a win to the C64!
:lol: Mine melted, i sh*t you not....now is that a win or loose for the C64?

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:03 pm

AmigaJay wrote:It shouldn't even be a contest, it's like comparing the neogeo to the megadrive, of course the more expensive machine would be more powerful, not long after the c64 launch in the uk in 1983, the c64 was £399 and the spectrum was £129.....there's one reason the spectrum trounched the c64 in the uk!
No, it wasn't. The C64 launched at £349 and was down below £300 after Xmas 1982 (it launched late 1982 in the UK). It was never £399, ever, as a RRP.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:05 pm

thevulture wrote::wink: Mega Apocalypse compare the C64 version (goregous 3D starfields, speech etc) with the 128K Spectrum version, so with twice as much memory and this supposed good Speccy sound chip we get:No speech, weak sound FX, small playing area and monocolour shaded graphics.
I own the +3 version of said game and it has excellent Speech, great music, very good sound effects and the play area is no smaller than other Spectrum games.

Smurph

Post by Smurph » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:06 pm

The Spectrum was better. Say what you want about SID chips and 'better' graphics, but the Spectrum definitely had less blocky graphics, and the sound was awesome on the 128k machines.

And better games for the most part, too.
Antiriad2097 wrote:There is no in or out, just a constant state of retro gamer.
Nowloading.co.uk My Retrobate Profile

Scooby1970

Post by Scooby1970 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:12 pm

I am quite lucky with this question as my main computer at the time was the far superior Amstrad CPC464. I owned all three, and honestly and subjectively I'm going to have to go with the C64. I think its simply aged better than the Speccy too, and you can see that it really is a more powerful machine with a great selection of games to match.

:) Mark
http://twitter.com/markyboyo
PS3, 360, PS2, PS1, PSP, Wii, DC, Saturn, Megadrive, GBA, DS & more!

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:13 pm

Jagfest_UK wrote:
thevulture wrote::wink: Mega Apocalypse compare the C64 version (goregous 3D starfields, speech etc) with the 128K Spectrum version, so with twice as much memory and this supposed good Speccy sound chip we get:No speech, weak sound FX, small playing area and monocolour shaded graphics.
I own the +3 version of said game and it has excellent Speech, great music, very good sound effects and the play area is no smaller than other Spectrum games.
:wink: Just checked Youtube, ok it has speech (Gewt Weady!), music that's not bad attempt at C64 music, but the sound FX? Hiss, something like someone hitting a tin roof? and play field looks smaller than C64 ver. All this with twice the K to play with?

Robbo

Post by Robbo » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:28 pm

necronom wrote:The C64, obviously.

It's like comparing a Jaguar with a Cortina. Some people might prefer the Cortina, as it was cheaper and they had one, but it's clearly not as good.
This. :D

Oooo, my first post since 2006! :shock:

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:49 pm

necronom wrote:The C64, obviously.

A Lotus Cortina maybe :lol:

mlucifersam

Post by mlucifersam » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:00 pm

I voted Spectrum. Obviously as it was the machine I had when I was a kid, and still do. All my mates had Spectrums and a rival faction owned C64s. You're never gonna get a definitive answer, both machines had pluses and minuses. The C64 has the great sound, but then I was put off by the some of the blocky graphics. Ground breaking games were released on both machines. You had stuff like Uridium, Way Of The Exploding Fist and Wizball released on the Commodore first but then the Spectrum debuted games like Knight Lore, Tir Na Nog, Ant Attack and Legend Of Avalon.
Mark R. Jones

Ocean Software Ltd FB page: http://www.facebook.com/OceanSoftwareLtd
Ultimate Play The Game FB page: https://www.facebook.com/ultimateptg

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:03 pm

SID chip, SID chip, SID chip, yawn!
Splink!

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:20 pm

felgekarp wrote:SID chip, SID chip, SID chip, yawn!
:wink: Or as Ben Daglish put it: 'SID Chip made all the difference.....It was always such a dissapointment to have to do the AY8912 downgrade conversion'.

Speccy 3D should be faster, it had a CPU running at 3.5 Mhz compared to C64's 1 Mhz, might well have got numbers wrong, but Speccy seemed to have a much faster CPU at expense of little else in way of custom hardware, so easier to work with? as less to learn?.