Has the 3DS turned the corner?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Mootown

Re: Has the 3DS turned the corner?

Post by Mootown » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:04 pm

DreamcastRIP wrote:
Mootown wrote:... it's getting more retail space
Not in my local Tesco Extra it isn't. There's a few 3DS titles all jumbled together in the morass of DS game boxes and this has been the case ever since 3DS launched. The fact its game boxes are very nearly indistinguishable from DS game boxes gives it next to no visual impact/presence at point of sale.
Tesco Extra aint a great example of retail merchandising excellence but you're right, DS and 3DS do look too similar, it's being looked into.

killbot

Post by killbot » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:06 pm

Mootown wrote:
DreamcastRIP wrote:
Mootown wrote:... it's getting more retail space
Not in my local Tesco Extra it isn't. There's a few 3DS titles all jumbled together in the morass of DS game boxes and this has been the case ever since 3DS launched. The fact its game boxes are very nearly indistinguishable from DS game boxes gives it next to no visual impact/presence at point of sale.
Tesco Extra aint a great example of retail merchandising excellence but you're right, DS and 3DS do look too similar, it's being looked into.
I've recently noticed that 3DS game cases have acquired an extra red stripe in the bottom right corner, presumably for just this reason.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:10 pm

^ Yep! It's a bit of a work in progress :) The red stripe is printed on recent dummy sleeves (ie Mario Kart / Mario Land)

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:10 pm

Mootown wrote:As it happens new POS has changed the white to red and made it an 'L' shaped border that is red along the right-hand side and bottom of the packshot. You'll start to see this filtering through in a lot of places, GAME should be using it in particular. See if you can spot it in the wild!
That's sounds a definite positive. :D

(Genuinely - I'm not being sarcastic.)
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:15 pm

DreamcastRIP wrote:
Mootown wrote:As it happens new POS has changed the white to red and made it an 'L' shaped border that is red along the right-hand side and bottom of the packshot. You'll start to see this filtering through in a lot of places, GAME should be using it in particular. See if you can spot it in the wild!

Cheers dude - it's really hard for me to write on this forum without coming across with some edge of bias - I'm just trying to add in what I know (I actually worked/am working on this project) without coming across as some kind of crazed Nintendo-employee fanboy! Made even more difficult when I actually like the product.

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:17 pm

Mootown wrote:
DreamcastRIP wrote:

Cheers dude - it's really hard for me to write on this forum without coming across with some edge of bias - I'm just trying to add in what I know (I actually worked/am working on this project) without coming across as some kind of crazed Nintendo-employee fanboy! Made even more difficult when I actually like the product.
you are biased with insider knowledge ! :wink:

..can we tap you for inside scoops ?
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:21 pm

DreamcastRIP wrote:
snowkatt wrote:and if the second circle pad will become standard in the inevitable re release of the hardware
What's not to love about 3DS with a second circle pad as-is?

:mrgreen:
Err, is that for real?
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

ALK

Post by ALK » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:28 pm

^From what I hear, the battery for the Circle Pad can last over 400 hours, which is one less thing to worry about...
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:29 pm

DreamcastRIP wrote:
killbot wrote:All that aside, 11 million in 8 months is a good figure - a very good figure. Especially for a machine with the odds stacked against it like the 3DS had. An effect that couldn't be seen on TV, launched into a recession and (in Japan) in the aftermath of a natural disaster...
Would you please provide a link substantiating this supposed 11 million units sales figure?

I've just been on VGChartz as 3DS doesn't even make the top 18 best selling consoles which places it below the supposed 8.2 million units DC sold - http://www.vgchartz.com/hardware_totals.php
BUMP!

Still waiting for that claim of 3DS having sold 11 million units to be substantiated?

I've been digging and yes, 3DS took 8 months to surpass year one sales of the original model DS... in the USA. :wink:

(DS apparently sold only 2.37 million units in the USA during its first year just to put things in perspective.)

Other sites state 3DS has sold approximately 3 million units in Japan from launch. So that makes for about 5.4 million in total sold in the USA and Japan combined. According to your claim of 11 million units having been sold then that means Europe plus the rest of the world has purchased over 5.5 million 3DS consoles. I find that EXTREMELY hard to believe.

Still waiting...
Last edited by DreamcastRIP on Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:34 pm

nakamura wrote:
DreamcastRIP wrote:What's not to love about 3DS with a second circle pad as-is?

Err, is that for real?
Unfortunately it is! http://www.zavvi.com/10580591.html

Havantgottaclue

Post by Havantgottaclue » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:35 pm

I think the comparison with the mobile phone formats is particularly interesting. It seems as though anything could happen in that field in the next couple of years, and the 3DS could have its work cut out if it's to remain relevant, and so may the PSVita. I get the feeling that PSV's most ambitious games (the likes of Uncharted) are going to offer something that other formats don't in terms of scale and maturity, at least for a while. However, it too is in danger of becoming technologically outmoded long before it would've been thought possible until recently.

At the moment Android is still in the "has potential" phase. It's interesting that you say GTA 3 is very hard to control - I say interesting from the point of view that this problem (and you'd be hard pushed to say that it isn't a problem) doesn't seem to dissuade developers from writing quite ambitious games for the format. Gameloft's Sacred Odyssey is a good example of a really ambitious game that suffers on a basic level from its controls. Eternal Legacy works rather better because battles are turn-based (it's a FF13 ripoff) and Starfront: Collision and Majesty actually works than a d-pad/analogue-stick based console would do because it's an RTS, and touchscreen controls are absolutely ideal for that. Sims 3 also works really well with touchscreen controls.

But because Android-compatible hardware is developing quickly and there are many hands at work, it's not beyond the realms of imagination that a number of competing devices designed primarily or even *wholly* with gaming in mind could appear over the next couple of years. NVidia's Tegra 3 chip is on the way and this already outclasses the PSVita's CPU, let alone the 3DS's. Sure, the PSV has other stuff under the hood, but for it to be anything less than bleeding edge in the CPU department at the time of its launch isn't the best of starts for a machine that is supposed to last years.

I'm not ruling iOS out of any of this either by any means, it's just that Android's strength as a platform going forward could be that diversity increases the pace of technological development. It could also be a weakness of course, as developers find it impossible to write games that work on every hardware configuration. Who knows, in a couple of years' time, Android could've gone nowhere - I remember having high hopes for Linux in the mid-2000s but it's not as if that's progressed beyond all recognition.

I am also very surprised at the numbers of 3DSs sold. I don't know a single soul who has one. Also, that dual-analogue attachment is an absolute monstrosity.
Last edited by Havantgottaclue on Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Soon you will have forgotten all things: soon all things will have forgotten you. (Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 7)

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:35 pm

That is actually tragic and they need to release a new model asap.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:38 pm

DreamcastRIP wrote:
nakamura wrote:
DreamcastRIP wrote:What's not to love about 3DS with a second circle pad as-is?

Err, is that for real?
Unfortunately it is! http://www.zavvi.com/10580591.html

soooo how do you plug the game in ?

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:42 pm

snowkatt wrote:soooo how do you plug the game in ?
You expect Capcom to have included that function in the initial release? C'mon, we all know such functionality will only be enabled via paid for DLC or by waiting for the EX Alpha Super Hyper Turbo version that'll be released in a few weeks...

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:50 pm

DreamcastRIP wrote:
snowkatt wrote:soooo how do you plug the game in ?
You expect Capcom to have included that function in the initial release? C'mon, we all know such functionality will only be enabled via paid for DLC or by waiting for the EX Alpha Super Hyper Turbo version that'll be released in a few weeks...

figures
so for each game you have to unhook the 3ds from the monstrosity ?