Has the 3DS turned the corner?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

QuantumCrayons

Re: Has the 3DS turned the corner?

Post by QuantumCrayons » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:25 pm

DreamcastRIP wrote: I prefer more portable handhelds. Like, say, an Atari Lynx!
Pfff, when you're mugged and can't defend yourself, you'll wish you had a 3DS attachment!

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:25 pm

QuantumCrayons wrote:
snowkatt wrote: i am just hoping it wont turn in to a repeat of the n64 with long spells of nothing or mediocre game followed by brief flashes of great games before going back to the drought again
I don't think so; handhelds are typically easier to dev. for (smaller games, simpler etc.) and they've got a handhold on the handheld market from previous gens. This might not secure a massive success, but should be enough to prevent a failure if all were to go to hell.

fe; Also, I like the second circle pad :P

nitendo has had a deadlock on the handheld market but the market has changed a lot since 2004
and things may not go as smoothly as it did with the ds
they may be even better or go even worse
but a lot of people cant handle the 3d so thats already a huge part of the appeal of the machine gone ( and yes you can turn it off but the 3d gimmick is a huge part of the machine ) with out the 3d its a souped up DS
or a cube in handheld format

now if it could only play cube games out of the box
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:26 pm

QuantumCrayons wrote:
DreamcastRIP wrote: I prefer more portable handhelds. Like, say, an Atari Lynx!
Pfff, when you're mugged and can't defend yourself, you'll wish you had a 3DS attachment!

thought the lynx could already dub as a clubbing weapon

killbot

Post by killbot » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:30 pm

DreamcastRIP wrote:
killbot wrote:We all know that the 3DS has now passed 11 million units sold, and is on course to obliterate the first year sales of the DS - this despite a huge sales slump over the summer that led many to claim that the machine was dead in the water.
A moot point. Nintendo/3DS supporters keep on trotting out this 'revelation' like it's supposed to mean something.

The inference seems to be that '3DS must be doing well because it's outperforming DS in its first year and we all know what a mega success DS was'.

This glib statistic very conveniently overlooks the fact DS sold like crap and it was only later on once DS Lite, plus some decent innovative games, was released that its fortunes improved.
All that aside, 11 million in 8 months is a good figure - a very good figure. Especially for a machine with the odds stacked against it like the 3DS had. An effect that couldn't be seen on TV, launched into a recession and (in Japan) in the aftermath of a natural disaster, iOS/Android eating market share like Pac Man, good games very thin on the ground for the first few months, sales dwindling to nothing after a month... there's been times when even as a Nintendo fan I couldn't see the 3DS making Christmas. The fact that as soon as Nintendo fixed the problems (price cut, more good games, better advertising) the punters came back shows that for all the doom-mongering around the company right now they still have a very loyal base of fans.

I've read some industry analysts are predicting that the final figure for 3Ds's first year could top 15 millon which would be an extraordinary performance for a device that only a few months ago was snail-like in its growth. Really though the real story here - taking the 3DS's turnaround along with robust launch figures for Vita - is that rumours of the death of the handheld market have been very much exaggerated.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:35 pm

3DS is now performing well. It doesn't matter how it compares with DS, how in the past it hasn't had software etc - all issues have been addressed and now it's generally accepted at retail that 3DS is selling. This isn't my opinion, it's just what's actually happening in the marketplace. People have begun to have faith and as result it's getting more retail space, which has a knock-on effect on increasing sales and support from stores.

I think the original sentiment of the first post was a nice, positive one about the market picking up as a whole and a question about whether or not handheld gaming on 'proper' consoles is coming back against the i-devices. That's the part of the discussion I find insteresting, not re-gurgitating the bland argument over and over again such as 'all' the N64 remakes (of which there are a total of 2).

Although I agree I'm dubious about the circle pad attachment..

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:38 pm

Mootown wrote:3DS is now performing well. It doesn't matter how it compares with DS, how in the past it hasn't had software etc - all issues have been addressed and now it's generally accepted at retail that 3DS is selling. This isn't my opinion, it's just what's actually happening in the marketplace. People have begun to have faith and as result it's getting more retail space, which has a knock-on effect on increasing sales and support from stores.

I think the original sentiment of the first post was a nice, positive one about the market picking up as a whole and a question about whether or not handheld gaming on 'proper' consoles is coming back against the i-devices. That's the part of the discussion I find insteresting, not re-gurgitating the bland argument over and over again such as 'all' the N64 remakes (of which there are a total of 2).

regurgitating of the same ip's then in nintendo fashion
that better ?

and once again i hope its a reversal of the fortunes of the 3ds but i wil remain pessimistic for the time being just because its selling now doesnt mean it wil continue to sell

killbot

Post by killbot » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:40 pm

snowkatt wrote:
Mootown wrote:3DS is now performing well. It doesn't matter how it compares with DS, how in the past it hasn't had software etc - all issues have been addressed and now it's generally accepted at retail that 3DS is selling. This isn't my opinion, it's just what's actually happening in the marketplace. People have begun to have faith and as result it's getting more retail space, which has a knock-on effect on increasing sales and support from stores.

that better ?

and once again i hope its a reversal of the fortunes of the 3ds but i wil remain pessimistic for the time being just because its selling now doesnt mean it wil continue to sell
But at least - surely - it's lost the 'Virtual Boy 2' tag that some wags were using. It's sold something like 15 times the number of consoles that the VB did in roughly the same space of time. It's not remotely comparable to that disaster.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:46 pm

@Snowkatt -
Mate, I know you may not agree with me but Super Mario 3D Land is probably one of the best platform games ever created. The fact it has Mario in it is just using an IP that sells. Change the graphics to anything - hell make it Spyro - it would remain a fantastic game. It's not a rehash, it's not regurgitating, it's a fresh game made from the ground up to play to the strengthes of the system and it's incredibly well produced and hasn't sold the amount it has because it's a bad game.

Genuinely I played it for 32 hours before completing everything and it remains one of my games of the year. (early reviews regarding the length of the game were unfounded - the special worlds double the game length) But I appreciate everyone has a point of view, I just think it's a shame people may overlook a great game on the basis of not actually playing it and having pre-conceived perceptions that may not be accurate. Then again, if you hate platform games you'll never like it and that's fair enough.

As for Mario Kart it's up there with the best Kart games - the online element really gives it a good kick in that respect.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:47 pm

killbot wrote:All that aside, 11 million in 8 months is a good figure - a very good figure. Especially for a machine with the odds stacked against it like the 3DS had. An effect that couldn't be seen on TV, launched into a recession and (in Japan) in the aftermath of a natural disaster...
Would you please provide a link substantiating this supposed 11 million units sales figure?

I've just been on VGChartz as 3DS doesn't even make the top 18 best selling consoles which places it below the supposed 8.2 million units DC sold - http://www.vgchartz.com/hardware_totals.php

You're still citing the effects of the earthquake in Japan to excuse 3DS's dire sales up until very recently? Seriously? Funny how the very same natural disaster didn't stop PSP having a major resurgence in Japan during the same period don't you think? Perhaps sales of Nintendo systems are particularly sensitive to such events whereas Sony systems aren't? Or maybe it was the slew of top RPGs released on PSP in Japan during said period relative to the flood of rehashes which swamped 3DS? Now there's a thought!
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:50 pm

Mootown wrote:@Snowkatt -
Mate, I know you may not agree with me but Super Mario 3D Land is probably one of the best platform games ever created. The fact it has Mario in it is just using an IP that sells. Change the graphics to anything - hell make it Spyro - it would remain a fantastic game. It's not a rehash, it's not regurgitating, it's a fresh game made from the ground up to play to the strengthes of the system and it's incredibly well produced and hasn't sold the amount it has because it's a bad game.

Genuinely I played it for 32 hours before completing everything and it remains one of my games of the year. (early reviews regarding the length of the game were unfounded - the special worlds double the game length) But I appreciate everyone has a point of view, I just think it's a shame people may overlook a great game on the basis of not actually playing it and having pre-conceived perceptions that may not be accurate. Then again, if you hate platform games you'll never like it and that's fair enough.

As for Mario Kart it's up there with the best Kart games - the online element really gives it a good kick in that respect.
a new and actual good spyro game doesnt sound half bad
but i dont really care much for platformers tis true (spyro being one of the few i like )

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:52 pm

DreamcastRIP wrote:
killbot wrote:All that aside, 11 million in 8 months is a good figure - a very good figure. Especially for a machine with the odds stacked against it like the 3DS had. An effect that couldn't be seen on TV, launched into a recession and (in Japan) in the aftermath of a natural disaster...
Would you please provide a link substantiating this supposed 11 million units sales figure?

I've just been on VGChartz as 3DS doesn't even make the top 18 best selling consoles which places it below the supposed 8.2 million units DC sold - http://www.vgchartz.com/hardware_totals.php

You're still citing the effects of the earthquake in Japan to excuse 3DS's dire sales up until very recently? Seriously? Funny how the very same natural disaster didn't stop PSP having a major resurgence in Japan during the same period don't you think? Perhaps sales of Nintendo systems are particularly sensitive to such events whereas Sony systems aren't? Or maybe it was the slew of top RPGs released on PSP in Japan during said period relative to the flood of rehashes which swamped 3DS? Now there's a thought!
Pretty interesting though that on the same page you've linked to is the global top 10 of software sales, 3 of which are 3DS games and number 1 is Mario Kart 7. Genuinely - interesting, not having a sly dig - I've not seen that chart before. Wouldn't have expected it. Software is doing alright eh :)

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:53 pm

killbot wrote:
snowkatt wrote:

that better ?

But at least - surely - it's lost the 'Virtual Boy 2' tag that some wags were using. It's sold something like 15 times the number of consoles that the VB did in roughly the same space of time. It's not remotely comparable to that disaster.
never tarred it with the vb 2 brush much to be honest
the vb was an unmitigated disaster the 3ds clearly is not 11 million sold qualifies it as a succes but will it be a lasting succes thats what i am wondering

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:53 pm

Mootown wrote:... it's getting more retail space
Not in my local Tesco Extra it isn't. There's a few 3DS titles all jumbled together in the morass of DS game boxes and this has been the case ever since 3DS launched. The fact its game boxes are very nearly indistinguishable from DS game boxes gives it next to no visual impact/presence at point of sale.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:57 pm

DreamcastRIP wrote:
Not in my local Tesco Extra it isn't. There's a few 3DS titles all jumbled together in the morass of DS game boxes and this has been the case ever since 3DS launched. The fact its game boxes are very nearly indistinguishable from DS game boxes gives it next to no visual impact/presence at point of sale.
should the 3d stripe on the left side of the box be blue perhaps ?
or is that too much dreamcast ? could be red or a different color and it would be a visual reminder that this is a different game fro a different console

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:02 pm

snowkatt wrote:
DreamcastRIP wrote:
should the 3d stripe on the left side of the box be blue perhaps ?
or is that too much dreamcast ? could be red or a different color and it would be a visual reminder that this is a different game fro a different console
As it happens new POS has changed the white to red and made it an 'L' shaped border that is red along the right-hand side and bottom of the packshot. You'll start to see this filtering through in a lot of places, GAME should be using it in particular. See if you can spot it in the wild!