Has the 3DS turned the corner?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

crusto

Re: Has the 3DS turned the corner?

Post by crusto » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:06 pm

@ Retrosofer, Hydrox is right. It might be worth a trip to get your mince pies tested bud, I had no idea I needed specs until I had a free mince pie test on the off chance.

I love 3d personally, but it distracts me to play a game that way as im too busy admiring the effect rather than concentrating on the task in hand. I much prefer to watch a film in 3d rather than play a game.

I'd still happily get myself a3ds though, just the money thats the problem atm.

Eat your nans pants

STranger81

Post by STranger81 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:01 am

I liked the 3DS but didnt get one and assumed I wouldnt. But then on Christmas Day my wifes nephew showed me the 3DS he got for Christmas running Mario Land 3D. I picked one up on Boxing Day with Mario Land, Mario Kart and Street Fighter 4 and think its amazing. I find the 3D has to be different on every game for me to see it better. On Mario Land I have it at full, where as on Street Fighter its only on a bit.

killbot

Post by killbot » Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:00 am

retrosofer wrote:I did have it at the right angle and distance :roll: , and i also tried moving it about to see if there was some sweet spot i was meant to have it in, but sadly nothing changed.
I mean if holding it straight in front of me at a reasonable distance doesn't work, then whats the bloody point :lol: . What am i supposed to do? Hold the thing out at full arms length and wave the thing about and hope to find some sweet spot. If i have to mess about doing this just to get the 3D to work, then it really does prove the point of it being a pointless feature on there.

I'm sure as my nephew buys plenty of games on there i will get to try them all out, but i'm guessing i'll preffer the 3D set to off though.
I wouldn't discount the possibility that you need an eye test. The 'sweet spot' for the 3D to work is very large and easy to find and is right where most people would find holding the machine comfortable. The other possibility is the angle you're viewing it at - you can have it smack in the right place but if you're viewing the screen at a really shallow angle it won't look right.

I can vouch for the fact that the 3D works perfectly, so if it isn't working for you then either there's something amiss with your eyesight or you are holding it wrong. They're the only two explanations really.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:25 am

I'm sure the 3D effect won't work for everyone, but your eyesight would have to be pretty poor for that alone to be the issue. My wife, for instance, is partially sighted in one eye but has no trouble with it; it took her a couple of goes to get used to it though, but that's common enough for people with perfect eyesight.

retrosofer

Post by retrosofer » Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:22 am

NO, you didn't. This isn't opinion, it's fact. If you saw objects twice then it was either not the right distance/angle for you or you have an eye malformation or malfunction that stops you from being able to use the 3D. I don't like the 3D effect and it can give me headaches but unless there's a medical reason there is a sweet spot and in it you will not see anything doubled.

I checked back with my nephew and the game i played was that Asphalt racer game, good guess for those that said it was that game.
Its not my eyes that need testing, and did have it at the right angle and distance, its not me thats at fault here, its the game! The 3D doesn't work on this game, simple as, and as others have stated, its a crap game with poorly coded 3D, which is why the 3D doesn't work on it. Even when speaking to my nephew about it, he says that the 3D is crap on that game and it doesn't work, but i should try his other games because the 3D works on them and is awesome. The only other game i can remember he said he had was that Mario Cart 7 is it? So does that mean he is holding the 3DS wrong for that game to, but managing to hold it right for other games? I think not tbh.

I do wear glasses, but that has never stopped me from seeing and experiencing 3D and the whole 3D thing. Its as simple as it doesn't work on that particular game. I'm not saying that the 3DS cant do 3D, and i'm not saying that the 3D wont work on games for it, all i'm saying is that it didn't work on Asphalt Racer, and its not because of anything wrong with my eyes or with the angle & distance at which i had the 3DS. I'm sure that when i play on my nephews other 3DS games that the 3D will work really well, especially on Nintendos own titles.

At the end of the day, you have to admit that the 3D is not going to work on all 3DS titles, while there will be many that are shining examples of awesome 3D on there, there will always be some titles that are crap and the 3D on them clearly doesn't work. You cant just keep using the excuse when people come across these games with crap 3D, ' oh its because of your wonky eyes, go to spec savers then play the game,' or ' no, i think you'll find its because you haven't been holding it at the right angle, use a tape measure & protractor next time.'

If the 3D doesn't work on a particular 3DS game, then it doesn't work. I also stated in my other post that i did try moving the 3DS about, adjusting the angle and distance, even the 3D slider, and guess what, the 3D effect didn't work, so i turned the 3D off altogether.

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:33 am

The thing to remember is - like raising a single eyebrow - not everyone's brain can be fooled into seeing pseudo-3D images. Remember, it's not REAL three dimensional images you're seeing but 2 separate and off-centre two dimensional images that your brain has to "sort" into a single image. It's nothing to do with your eyes as such.

In fact a series of events has to work in order for you to see pseudo-3D:

1: Each eye has to receive a separate image. So you need two eyes!
2: If either eye isn't 100% "working" then there's nothing for your brain to process.
3: Both eyes working and receiving an image? Let's hope your brain can interpolate them!
4: A "completed" image is rendered in your brain, and is "seen" by your eyes.

Also note that fake 3D had no actual depth, so it's very difficult to see. It's not like real three dimensions that have actual depth (monocular/binocular cues) so it's entirely possible to see one without being able to see the other. It's just the way it is.

Which explains why lots of us can catch balls or juggle, even while only partially sighted, because there are a lot of other environmental factors at work (spacial awareness, depth of field, sound reflection, Curvilinear perspective etc) that simply aren't present in 3D movies and games.
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

killbot

Post by killbot » Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:34 am

retrosofer wrote:I checked back with my nephew and the game i played was that Asphalt racer game, good guess for those that said it was that game.

Its not my eyes that need testing, and did have it at the right angle and distance, its not me thats at fault here, its the game! The 3D doesn't work on this game, simple as, and as others have stated, its a crap game with poorly coded 3D, which is why the 3D doesn't work on it. Even when speaking to my nephew about it, he says that the 3D is crap on that game and it doesn't work, but i should try his other games because the 3D works on them and is awesome. The only other game i can remember he said he had was that Mario Cart 7 is it? So does that mean he is holding the 3DS wrong for that game to, but managing to hold it right for other games? I think not tbh.
I'm confused. Does the 3D in MK7 work or not?

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

retrosofer

Post by retrosofer » Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:53 am

killbot wrote:
retrosofer wrote:I checked back with my nephew and the game i played was that Asphalt racer game, good guess for those that said it was that game.

I'm confused. Does the 3D in MK7 work or not?
:?: Maybe, i cant say because i have not played it yet, i can only comment on Asphal racing game, which is the only game i have been talking about, and the only game i have said where the 3D didn't work, and it clearly didn't.

I dont doubt what your saying Freestyler, and i understand what your saying. But my nephew even says that the 3D in Asphalt doesn't work. I feel i'm fighting a loosing battle here, can it be that a crappy 3DS games
3D simply does not work? Or is that too simple an explanation.

pratty

Post by pratty » Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:43 am

retrosofer wrote:I feel i'm fighting a loosing battle here, can it be that a crappy 3DS games
3D simply does not work? Or is that too simple an explanation.
I think that's the likely explanation everyone is probably in agreement with, I think the reason you've run into an argument here is because you were a bit rash to condemn the 3D effect on the basis of just one game.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:15 am

Well, I know that everyone in my household can appreciate the 3D effect from Super Mario 3D Land and the various AR cards. The game has quite a subtle use of 3D so it's not jarring to the eye. It's pretty much Mario Galaxy with "a bit that sticks out a bit more than normal, sometimes" I'd say! :lol:
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

electrolite77

Post by electrolite77 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:53 pm

It needed the price cut, no doubt about it, though the release of Mario/Mario Kart/Zelda etc. would have helped it pick up anyway. I think it's gathering enough momentum now that it'll finish up doing what was always its best case scenario given the presence of iOS/Android, which is selling very well but not as well as DS + shifting plenty of software but not nearly as much as DS + and outselling Vita but not by the same ratio as DS v PSP.

I think it will struggle to pick up as much as the casual market as DS but will still sell to Nintendo fans/kids/gamers. The line-up for 2012 is very good IMHO.

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:16 pm

got one for the kids for xmas - admittedly mainly to use as a DS as it was the same price in sainsburys - they played on it once and went back to playing games on my iPhone straight away. I wasn't chuffed as money is a tad tight, so that looks like a bit of a waste of cash.

The kids games are very poor for the money - though I may risk Resident Evil in 3D for myself - though the 3D killed my eyes in the shop.

I was also surprised at the ugly finish and layout of the console - it looks so much cheaper than my normal DS - which I love.

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:00 pm

Turning a corner? Well it is certainly picking up momentum sales wise due to Monster Hunter & the usual Nintendo in-house produce. I still feel as far as 3rd party efforts are concerned all eyes are on the next RE installment only. The 3DS still needs much much more quality 3rd party output for my liking.
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

hydr0x

Post by hydr0x » Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:11 pm

Nemesis wrote:Turning a corner? Well it is certainly picking up momentum sales wise due to Monster Hunter & the usual Nintendo in-house produce. I still feel as far as 3rd party efforts are concerned all eyes are on the next RE installment only. The 3DS still needs much much more quality 3rd party output for my liking.
Sorry but what? Alphabetically:

BlazBlue: Continuum Shift II
Cave Story 3D
Cooking Mama 4
Cubic Ninja
Dead or Alive: Dimensions
Dr. Lautrec
Dream Trigger 3D
Frogger 3D
Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars
James Noir's Hollywood Crimes 3D
LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean
LEGO Star Wars III: The Clone Wars
Pac-Man & Galaga Dimensions
Puzzle Bobble Universe
Rabbids 3D
Rayman 3D
Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D
Ridge Racer 3D
Shinobi
Skylanders
Splinter Cell 3D
Super Street Fighter IV
Tales of the Abyss

Surely there must be some quality title for everyone in that lot? It's certainly a much better 3rd-Party first few months line-up than most other systems in history had.

retrojc

Post by retrojc » Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:31 pm

@hydrox, no not really; looked through the games and still the 3ds offers very little for me. Like all Nintendo consoles; I buy them for Pokemon, everything else is the supporting act.

i guess i'd like to play these...
BlazBlue: Continuum Shift II
Pac-Man & Galaga Dimensions
Puzzle Bobble Universe
Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D
Ridge Racer 3D

all of which can be played on other consoles; albeit not portable. And 3d does hurt my eyes :( !