Has the 3DS turned the corner?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

snowkatt

Re: Has the 3DS turned the corner?

Post by snowkatt » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:56 am

Mootown wrote:
sscott wrote:
Mootown wrote:Shock news: 3DS starts to do well - forum users find negative spin instantly! (no offense though guys - just an observation)

I would just like to point out again that 3DS has outsold ALL OTHER FORMATS for the last 3/4 weeks. It's not just doing better in context of what 3DS was selling previously, it's now out-performing everyone else for the time being. Which all adds to the installed base, which ultimately gives publishers confidence in the platform, which brings great new games and support from the industry. It's a positive thing that 3DS is selling and I sincerely hope Vita does well on launch as well - price point aside the system looks awesome, but in a very different way to the 3DS offering. Love Mario Kart, Love Wipeout. Good times all-round. I'm actually really looking forward to Q1 next year - Resident Evil Revelations and Wipeout are the 2 games I'm looking forward to most.
I want all systems to do well but the 3DS not including dual thumb sticks was just baffling. Nintendo have been pioneers in inovation for their hardware for many years, their software - much less so.
Yeah I agree with that - bizarre really. Be interesting to see who develops for the circle-pad attachment.
and if the second circle pad will become standard in the inevitable re release of the hardware
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:57 am

snowkatt wrote:
Mootown wrote:Shock news: 3DS starts to do well - forum users find negative spin instantly! (no offense though guys - just an observation)

I would just like to point out again that 3DS has outsold ALL OTHER FORMATS for the last 3/4 weeks. It's not just doing better in context of what 3DS was selling previously, it's now out-performing everyone else for the time being. Which all adds to the installed base, which ultimately gives publishers confidence in the platform, which brings great new games and support from the industry. It's a positive thing that 3DS is selling and I sincerely hope Vita does well on launch as well - price point aside the system looks awesome, but in a very different way to the 3DS offering. Love Mario Kart, Love Wipeout. Good times all-round. I'm actually really looking forward to Q1 next year - Resident Evil Revelations and Wipeout are the 2 games I'm looking forward to most.

yes but how wil it do after the high and the halo effect of mario land and mario kart wears off i wonder
will it maintain at a high level or start to drop off again ?

november and december are tradtionally the months when most video game sales happen so just because the 3ds has been outselling the other formats for the last 3 4 weeks means very little all it means is the halo effect of the 2 mario games
i want to see how the 3ds does a few months down the line and if it can maintain steady sales with a varied non n64 rehash library
As I said in my first post - there are a lot of new software titles out in Q1 for 3DS. I know how Christmas works mate and how AAA games drive hardware, I've worked in video games for over 18 years. All 3DS needs is the software to continue into the new year.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:58 am

killbot wrote:We all know that the 3DS has now passed 11 million units sold, and is on course to obliterate the first year sales of the DS - this despite a huge sales slump over the summer that led many to claim that the machine was dead in the water.
A moot point. Nintendo/3DS supporters keep on trotting out this 'revelation' like it's supposed to mean something.

The inference seems to be that '3DS must be doing well because it's outperforming DS in its first year and we all know what a mega success DS was'.

This glib statistic very conveniently overlooks the fact DS sold like crap and it was only later on once DS Lite, plus some decent innovative games, was released that its fortunes improved.
Last edited by DreamcastRIP on Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

QuantumCrayons

Post by QuantumCrayons » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:58 am

snowkatt wrote:]
november and december are tradtionally the months when most video game sales happen so just because the 3ds has been outselling the other formats for the last 3 4 weeks means very little]
But, surely the other console's sales would increase to reflect this?
The 3DS is selling well, as is the Vita and I reckon that smartphones have a fair wee bit to catch up with before they can beat these machines. Then again, the market could change drastically in a blink of an eye. Just gotta wait and see, but this handheld generation looks set to be incredible!

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:00 pm

but will it ?
or is this just a minor upswing because of the new big name games and wil it then settle down again
lets not forget that the majority of the other sales were due to the massive price drop

i might sound pessimistic and already ringing the death bel for the 3ds ( bring out your dead ! )
but lets be realistic here it didnt take off until nintendo dropped the price and released two big name games that were not re releases or remakes

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:01 pm

hydr0x wrote:
DreamcastRIP wrote:
snowkatt wrote:possibly though it may just be the christmas rush and the rush after some actual new games have been released that are not n64 remakes
things may slump back in january or then again they may not
we wil have to see
Agreed.
How surprising :lol:
Surprising that I share in snowkatt's perfectly rational summation of events? Guilty as charged, m'lud!
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:02 pm

QuantumCrayons wrote:
snowkatt wrote:]
november and december are tradtionally the months when most video game sales happen so just because the 3ds has been outselling the other formats for the last 3 4 weeks means very little]
But, surely the other console's sales would increase to reflect this?
The 3DS is selling well, as is the Vita and I reckon that smartphones have a fair wee bit to catch up with before they can beat these machines. Then again, the market could change drastically in a blink of an eye. Just gotta wait and see, but this handheld generation looks set to be incredible!

most people already have a ps3 or xbox 360 they have been around for years now most people who want one already got one ..probably anyway
its software mostly that drives those two and the vita is only just released in japan bit early to say anything about that

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:03 pm

DreamcastRIP wrote:
hydr0x wrote:
How surprising :lol:
Surprising that I share in snowkatt's perfectly rational summation of events? Guilty as charged, m'lud!
i am tempted to start quoting the trial from the wall now

QuantumCrayons

Post by QuantumCrayons » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:09 pm

snowkatt wrote: i might sound pessimistic and already ringing the death bel for the 3ds ( bring out your dead ! )
but lets be realistic here it didnt take off until nintendo dropped the price and released two big name games that were not re releases or remakes
Aye, but I suppose that would happen with any machine; when the price falls, then more people will buy it (generally). Same with the games. Now that Nintendo (hopefully) will continue doing this, the machine /should/ take off.

sscott

Post by sscott » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:12 pm

It is interesting how the 3DS threads are very popular and always garner very strong responses. Note to fellow RG members, lets stay clear of the N64 for a good while yet!

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:16 pm

QuantumCrayons wrote:
snowkatt wrote: i might sound pessimistic and already ringing the death bel for the 3ds ( bring out your dead ! )
Aye, but I suppose that would happen with any machine; when the price falls, then more people will buy it (generally). Same with the games. Now that Nintendo (hopefully) will continue doing this, the machine /should/ take off.

i am just hoping it wont turn in to a repeat of the n64 with long spells of nothing or mediocre game followed by brief flashes of great games before going back to the drought again

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:17 pm

snowkatt wrote:and if the second circle pad will become standard in the inevitable re release of the hardware
What's not to love about 3DS with a second circle pad as-is?

:mrgreen:

QuantumCrayons

Post by QuantumCrayons » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:19 pm

snowkatt wrote: i am just hoping it wont turn in to a repeat of the n64 with long spells of nothing or mediocre game followed by brief flashes of great games before going back to the drought again
I don't think so; handhelds are typically easier to dev. for (smaller games, simpler etc.) and they've got a handhold on the handheld market from previous gens. This might not secure a massive success, but should be enough to prevent a failure if all were to go to hell.

fe; Also, I like the second circle pad :P

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:21 pm

QuantumCrayons wrote:fe; Also, I like the second circle pad :P
I prefer more portable handhelds. Like, say, an Atari Lynx!

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:22 pm

DreamcastRIP wrote:
snowkatt wrote:and if the second circle pad will become standard in the inevitable re release of the hardware
What's not to love about 3DS with a second circle pad as-is?

:mrgreen:

it looks just lovely

course having a second battery in that thing would be too much too ask for