Has the 3DS turned the corner?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

thevulture

Re: Has the 3DS turned the corner?

Post by thevulture » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:33 am

I'm also not buying into the idea that anyones hardware 'forces' developers into thinking outside the box.Look at the MD lacked the custom sprite handling offered by the Snes, cue the MCD....the 3D hardware and extra CPU should have unleashed a whole new wave of stunning games, but if it were'nt for Core Design and few others, the staple diet of MCD games would have been tarted up cart games (CD music, intro, extra levels if lucky) or FMV dross.

Hell even Sega themselves sadly produced little to really use the hardware-pityful when 3D sections of Batman Returns set a benchmark.

No, programmers instead decided to think outside the box on the std MD hardware: Zyrinx for 1 with Red Zone decided to ignore hardware limits and stuff Red Zone full of 3D vectors, Sprite Rotation and better FMV than seen on MCD, stuff said to be 'impossible' to do on MD.

I think it's more about the ambitions of programming teams to get the best out of any hardware, rather than the hardware itself, that gives best results.

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:50 am

DreamcastRIP wrote:
Mootown wrote:... In fact, after switching away from the 3D messaging, the console has started selling. Sort of ironic.
I don't know whether this TV commercial for SM3DL aired solely in the USA or not but Nintendo are still pushing the 3D aspect of 3DS quite strongly in its marketing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SC5r0OlS ... ure=relmfu
Yeah that's a US trailer, the UK one is totally different. The different territories have different strategies to a degree - it's a cool commercial though.

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:52 am

Also keep an eye on UK commercials and in-store POS, you'll start to notice the change in the overall approach to the messaging :)

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:55 pm

I have no idea why Toxie went off a bit there, this has been a pretty interesting topic overall and the toys seem to have been kept pretty much in the pram.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:16 pm

nakamura wrote:I have no idea why Toxie went off a bit there, this has been a pretty interesting topic overall and the toys seem to have been kept pretty much in the pram.
Yep, i'm finding it a very good debate, 3DS reversal of fortunes alone is a great subject on it's own, then you've the topic of 3D gaming in general, dedicated portable gaming devices in todays climate and so forth, plenty of scope for some differing viewpoints and ideas on where things are headed.

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:45 pm

Interesting chart-icle I nicked from IGN about this weeks Japanese chart- 4 3ds games make up the top 5. They love their handhelds over there!

Here's the full top 20, covering December 12 through December 18. Life to date sales, publisher and release date are in parentheses.

01. [PS3] Final Fantasy XIII-2 (Square Enix, 12/15): 525,271
02. [3DS] Monster Hunter 3G (Capcom, 12/10): 208,427 (730,386)
03. [3DS] Mario Kart 7 (Nintendo, 12/01): 182,418 (789,871)
04. [3DS] Inazuma Eleven Go (Level-5, 12/15): 135,259
05. [3DS] Super Mario 3D Land (Nintendo, 11/03): 112,533 (837,143)
06. [WII] Kirby Wii (Nintendo, 10/27): 71,028 (398,516)
07. [PSV] Hot Shots Golf 6 (Sony, 12/17): 61,412
08. [PSV] Uncharted Golden Abyss (Sony, 12/17): 48,224
09. [WII] Just Dance Wii (Nintendo, 10/13): 44,021 (323,293)
10. [WII] Poke Park 2 (Pokemon, 11/12): 43,829 (164,018)
11. [WII] Wii Party (Pokemon, 07/08/10): 42,632 (2,129,236)
12. [NDS] Magician's Quest: The Merchant's Store of Sorcery (Konami, 12/10): 35,068 (81,110)
13. [WII] Mario & Sonic at London Olympics (Pokemon, 11/12): 34,351 (64,573)
14. [PS3] Shin Kamaitachi no Yoru (Chunsoft, 12/17): 33,686
15. [PS3] BlazBlue Continuum Shift Extend (Arc System Works, 12/17): 32,992
16. [WII] Wii Sports Resort (Nintendo, 11/11/10): 30,804 (734,046)
17. [WII] Taiko Drum Master Wii Ultimate Version (Namco Bandai, 11/23): 30,046 (100,284)
18. [PSV] Dynasty Warriors Next (Tecmo Koei, 12/17): 29,181
19. [PSV] Lord of Apocalypse (Square Enix, 12/17): 28,742
20. [NDS] One Piece Gigant Battle! 2 (Namco Bandai, 11/17): 28,406 (207,458)
In the hardware race, 3DS still managed to place number one for the week despite Vita's release. All systems are experiencing the expected year-end sales boost, bringing PS3 and Wii above the 60,000 mark.

Here's the full hardware chart, with last week's sales in parentheses.

1. 3DS: 367,691 (350,321)
2. PSV: 324,859
3. PS3: 65,119 (44,661)
4. PSP: 64,468 (51,191)
5. Wii: 60,916 (46,018)
6. DSi LL: 5,600 (4,007)
7. X360: 3,584 (3,211)
8. DSi: 3,523 (2,609)
9. PS2: 1,400 (1,268)
10. DS Lite: 32 (14)

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:21 pm

:? Just caught TV advert for Mario Kart 7 on 3DS-Seemed all about ' If you loved Mario Kart on the Wii, you'll love it on 3DS...' NO mention of 3D at all. So, does game use 3D to any effect?

1st of the new approach adverts i've seen and from what i saw, there was'nt even a whiff of 'It also does 3D'.

Curious times it seems, 3DS being sold on basis on everything but the 3D, MS new dashboard put non-game related aspects (and adverts) before the gaming side of the 360 and there was Sony taking flak for their 'It only does everything...'adverts for the PS3. :lol:

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:31 pm

HILARIOUS! :roll:

When I used to post Japanese sales figure charts when 3DS was bombing week after week after week some of the more, ahem, 'committed' Nintendo fans here repeatedly tried to silence me by saying sales figures from Japan were irrelevant. Now that 3DS isn't dying on its arse any more in Japan and has posted improved sales it's miraculously now okay to post sales figures from Japan again!

What an incredible (or is that 'amazing'? :wink: ) surprise!!! :lol:

I 'get' it. If news about Nintendo is bad then it is irrelevant and so must be silenced. If news about Nintendo is good it is relevant and so must be posted! :roll:

Forgive me for laughing out loud! :lol:
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:29 am

DreamcastRIP wrote:HILARIOUS! :roll:

When I used to post Japanese sales figure charts when 3DS was bombing week after week after week some of the more, ahem, 'committed' Nintendo fans here repeatedly tried to silence me by saying sales figures from Japan were irrelevant. Now that 3DS isn't dying on its arse any more in Japan and has posted improved sales it's miraculously now okay to post sales figures from Japan again!

I 'get' it. If news about Nintendo is bad then it is irrelevant and so must be silenced. If news about Nintendo is good it is relevant and so must be posted! :roll:

I'll just point out I've never done that and I'm not a 'committed' Nintendo fan - the comments on there are from the actual article. It was more the software sales I found interesting - that's very good for 3ds especially at Christmas. And in context of a thread called 'has 3ds turned the corner' it's actually relevant. Plus it's current 'news' on IGN, I didn't seek it out like a maniac with something to prove, just came across it and thought I'd share.

Crunchy

Post by Crunchy » Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:39 am

So only bad news about Nintendo should be posted then?

You could do with laying off on what people post in support of their argument btw. Some of the stuff you've linked in the past about the the 3DS and Nintendo's performance in general has been a bit, shall we say, desperate when it comes to sources.

Still an interesting thread this IMO. One of the more reasoned discussions that's knocking around on this issue. As long as everybody can stay reasonably balanced, of course.

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:40 am

Super Mario Land 3D doesn't "suffer" from those problems at all. It's just a "Bash the 3DS using its biggest games as a target" article. I for one know that it took a while to get the "hang" of Mario Galaxy's Gravity gameplay, but I'd never feel the need to point it out like some game-breaking White Elephant. Since it's very definitely not.

No, it's just Bash Nintendo time in Journalism again. As if every other Developer could even hope to match their output. Or as if any "Games Journalist" had any talent in the first place. Or it's just that Website's desperate attempt to generate site traffic. Nerd-baiting.

Scrubs.
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:28 am

Crunchy wrote:

So only bad news about Nintendo should be posted then?

You could do with laying off on what people post in support of their argument btw. Some of the stuff you've linked in the past about the the 3DS and Nintendo's performance in general has been a bit, shall we say, desperate when it comes to sources.

Still an interesting thread this IMO. One of the more reasoned discussions that's knocking around on this issue. As long as everybody can stay reasonably balanced, of course.
No, I never said or implied that 'only bad news about Nintendo should be posted'. That's just your overactive imagination looking for non-existent conspiracy theories going into overdrive... yet again.

You could do with ceasing your usual tactic on this forum of staying quiet on an issue when there's an ongoing debate and then dropping in out of the blue solely to attack another forum member. You have a most unfortunate habit for contributing nothing to discussions other than to chime in to make petty minded accusations and take snide potshots.

Once again you've done so and, I might add, you've stuck to your usual tactic on which I've called you out on before. Namely, making generalised attacks with no actual evidence to back up your wild claims. I'm sure you'll do what you did the last time you raised your head above the parapet by going off to desperately search through past posts to try 'proving' your case. As ever, the best you'll do is to find one post out of the many that in some way fits your agenda and try using that as being representative of the whole and doing so out of context. Pitiful.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:37 am

Mootown wrote:

I'll just point out I've never done that and I'm not a 'committed' Nintendo fan - the comments on there are from the actual article. It was more the software sales I found interesting - that's very good for 3ds especially at Christmas. And in context of a thread called 'has 3ds turned the corner' it's actually relevant. Plus it's current 'news' on IGN, I didn't seek it out like a maniac with something to prove, just came across it and thought I'd share.
No problem whatsoever, Mootown. I think you know who I was referring to and so I apologise if it came across as implying it was you. That wasn't my intention. Those sales figures certainly make for interesting reading. For instance, it never ceases to amaze me just how popular RPGs are in Japan and that chart mirrors that what with Monster Hunter 3G on 3DS outselling the two recently released Mario games on 3DS.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:05 am

@Freestyler:What your seeing with the 3DS 'bashing' is par the course for gaming jurnolism, nothing new there what so ever, as previousily mentioned, PS3 had it's future questioned, Xbox according to Edge at 1 point was on life support, N64 still seen as a 'failure' despite no.of units sold, so is PSP and so forth.

Generations before saw the 3DO and Jaguar as the next big thing, before they were swept away by the Saturn, which mere months later was seen as a light wieght next to Playstation.

Websites love to do these 'Tall Poppy' type articles, build 'em up..knock'em down.Easy to write, creates lot of site traffic, wait for the next target.

Bottom line is, as a tactic, it works, so they'll keep using it.

retrosofer

Post by retrosofer » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:16 pm

Another 3DS thread, what have i missed? I say lets wait and see after Christmas, about March/April and look at sales figures then. But i hope the 3DS does well even though i'm not taken buy it.