Has the 3DS turned the corner?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

thevulture

Re: Has the 3DS turned the corner?

Post by thevulture » Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:25 am

:wink: Bet T.S Eliot would have been a Facebook member.

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:12 am

Some ridiculous comments here.

I said earlier in the year (if it wasn't on this forum, it was definitely another one) that claiming the 3DS was a flop was futile, bec ause it wasn't Xmas yet and a new Mario platformer/Mario Kart were due out just in time for Xmas. And there was also that price drop earlier in the year. Lo and behold, gets to Xmas, sales figures have shot up. :roll:

I remember when the 3DS first came out and kids were goind around saying that they didn't really want one (I overheard my niece and nephew and a couple of their friends saying this) because 'the 3D made your eyes go funny'. Which is a line they'd had fed to them by parents who didn't want to fork out £200 for a new handheld with no Mario game back in March. Gets to the end of the year, and now they're cheaper and Mario Kart 7 is doing the rounds...different story.

But do keep implying that the 3DS is doomed to fail. Seriously, it's making me laugh.

Nobody knows how the Wii U will do yet either. You can speculate. But then again, most of you speculated the same crap about the Wii.

Oh, and like Mootown said...anybody having issues with Mario 3D Land where they keep jumping off the bottom of the screen :? must just completely suck at platform games. I didn't have any of those issues either, and I can't even use the 3DS's 3D effect (which allegedly makes things easier).

This isn't a Nintendo fanboy rant BTW, it's just the way it is.
DreamcastRIP wrote:Yep, and in the words of Sony's Jack Tretton when giving his opinion of 3DS,

"Our view of the 'Game Boy experience' is that it's a great babysitting tool, something young kids do on airplanes, but no self-respecting twenty-something is going to be sitting on an airplane with one of those. He's too old for that."
Good old Sony marketing crap. In the words of ToxieDogg:

'I have never once used my PSP in public. As I haven't got custom firmware, I'm still running all my games off UMD, and half the time spent sitting playing on it has been interrupted by UMD loading, which on top of the analogue nub being uncomfortable and crappy to use doesn't really inspire me to make it my machine of choice when I'm in public. By contrast, I've used my DS, DS Lite, DSi and 3DS in all manner of places when I'm out and about.
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

killbot

Post by killbot » Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:29 am

DreamcastRIP wrote:
nakamura wrote:Which is why a lot of current gen games are less interactive like I mentioned in another thread DreamcastRIP.

Super Mario 3D Land in fully interactive, totally under the control of the player but Uncharted is cool!
:lol:

Re: Super Mario 3D Land,

"It’s when 3D Land blends its three-dimensional worlds with side-scrolling gameplay that its biggest flaw comes to light, however. Without the gravity of Mario Galaxy’s spherical worlds to keep our hero grounded, 3D Land’s floating platforms can cause the player to unintentionally jump off the bottom of the screen as the directional controls confuse the down direction with the foreground.

Mario Galaxy’s life-saving, last-minute panic spin-jump would have been invaluable during these moments, and it boggles the mind to think that Nintendo, of all developers, wouldn’t implement such an obvious feature. Isometric levels similarly cause all manner of spatial confusion; it’s not uncommon to completely misjudge a leap and fall into oblivion. Which is both a problem that the 3DS display was originally mooted to eliminate and definitely something that has no right to exist in gaming’s finest series of platform games.
"

Source: http://www.gamestm.co.uk/reviews/super- ... nd-review/

If that's what 'fully interactive' is like on 3DS's flagship title then you can keep it! :mrgreen:
So far as I can see, nobody else has complained about this. The game has a 90% average on Metacritic. While I always usually respect GamesTM's opinion, when a hundred people review a game and only one picks up on stuff like this it's probably because he wasn't playing it properly.

Or, y'know, maybe he's the iconoclast who's willing to point out that the emporer has no clothes on.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:41 am

thevulture wrote::wink: Bet T.S Eliot would have been a Facebook member.
Reggie Fils-Aime likes this! :lol:
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:48 am

ToxieDogg wrote:... This isn't a Nintendo fanboy rant BTW, it's just the way it is.

... In the words of ToxieDogg:

'I have never once used my PSP in public. As I haven't got custom firmware, I'm still running all my games off UMD, and half the time spent sitting playing on it has been interrupted by UMD loading, which on top of the analogue nub being uncomfortable and crappy to use doesn't really inspire me to make it my machine of choice when I'm in public. By contrast, I've used my DS, DS Lite, DSi and 3DS in all manner of places when I'm out and about.
Of course it's not a Nintendo fanboy rant because fanboys NEVER repeatedly praise their adopted idol and also go out of their way to trash talk on the 'opposition' do they? Nope, thought not! :lol:
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

ShadowNeku

Post by ShadowNeku » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:27 am

Wow toxie. Who dumped in your cereal this morning?

You cant really blame the speculation of failure for the 3DS back when it was released. With the underwhelming launch lineup, high price tag, hardware issues including wobbly hinges, screen scratching, low battery life and the headaches/nausea induced by 3D, games getting cancelled left and right, EA expressing no interest in pursuing 3D gaming and slow sales. The price drop looked like an act of desperation on Nintendo's behalf to keep the console alive.

Mario games are bount to invigorate sales but theres no need for the "I was right you were wrong" arsey attitude.
I asked for orange. It gave me lemon lime!

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:31 am

To offer some balance, PS3 at 1 point was going to fail, according to the 'experts', high price, slow sales, poor ports from 360, Activision 'threatning' to abandon the system and so forth, so 3DS just been treated same as any other platform really.

As for using handhelds in public...never used Game Gear or Lynx in public, just either round mine or mates, GBA Micro took into work few times whilst on nights, same with PSP (also used on train and at airport), but tend to game whilst at home.

Now, wheres that Mark Twain quote when i need it most..... :wink:

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:43 am

thevulture wrote:To offer some balance, PS3 at 1 point was going to fail, according to the 'experts', high price, slow sales, poor ports from 360, Activision 'threatning' to abandon the system and so forth, so 3DS just been treated same as any other platform really.
Very true. To further reinforce your point it's a seldom remembered fact nowadays that Nintendo's share price dropped immediately following them first revealing Wii to the gaming public. Just goes to show that the public's short-term reaction isn't always an accurate gauge.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:47 am

DreamcastRIP wrote:
thevulture wrote:To offer some balance, PS3 at 1 point was going to fail, according to the 'experts', high price, slow sales, poor ports from 360, Activision 'threatning' to abandon the system and so forth, so 3DS just been treated same as any other platform really.
Very true. To further reinforce your point it's a seldom remembered fact nowadays that Nintendo's share price dropped immediately following them first revealing Wii to the gaming public. Just goes to show that the public's short-term reaction isn't always an accurate gauge.
Exactly, Joe Public, fickle at the best of times, folks (hell myself included0 will so often wait for price drop, wider selection of software etc before jumping in.

Also, Nintendo themselves admit do they not? it's very hard to promote a 3D based machine via a 2D medium (a la TV), it's the sort of thing you really have to try for yourself.Then there was the confusion that it was just another hardware revision of existing DS.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:51 am

thevulture wrote:Also, Nintendo themselves admit do they not? it's very hard to promote a 3D based machine via a 2D medium (a la TV)
Some would say more fool them if they can't learn from their own previous experiences...

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:57 am

Also with 3DS, it's not like the 1st time 3D has been tried for gaming, is it? Master System LCD glasses, Vectrex glasses, Tommy Tronic 3D, Virtual Boy, Jim Power on Amiga, Wardner was it? St/Amiga wireframe space shooter game, Contra on PS1 requring those red/green specs, probably some other examples.

Fact 3DS using newer hardware really makes little difference to your average cynical consumer-Still hear it from friends, folks at work that 3D (be it games, TV or cinema) is 'just a passing fad', people seemingly not bothered by it, they'd rather wait for the next 'true' as they see it, big thing, for example holographic tv, no matter how far off that is.

3DS and indeed 3D TV seen as yet another stab at rolling out something they feel they really don't need.How you over come that marketing obstacle must be worrying Sony as well, as it's tried hard to promote both it's TV range and the PS3 3D abilities.

Some publishers given up on 3D gaming as it's just not bringing in the money.

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:03 am

You may have noticed a lot of the new 3DS marketing talks about 'parental controls' 'switching off the 3D completely' 'play your DS games on 3DS' - the tagline that used to be '3D without glasses - believe your eyes' has gone. 'Only available on 3DS' messaging on new titles - etc.

New communication is all about the range of games, the mario games, the other features of the console, multi-player online elements - everything BUT the 3D.

In fact, after switching away from the 3D messaging, the console has started selling. Sort of ironic.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:12 am

Mootown wrote:You may have noticed a lot of the new 3DS marketing talks about 'parental controls' 'switching off the 3D completely' 'play your DS games on 3DS' - the tagline that used to be '3D without glasses - believe your eyes' has gone. 'Only available on 3DS' messaging on new titles - etc.

New communication is all about the range of games, the mario games, the other features of the console, multi-player online elements - everything BUT the 3D.

In fact, after switching away from the 3D messaging, the console has started selling. Sort of ironic.
Ironic it is indeed, Nintendo basically saying either time still is'nt right for 3D or..it's backed the wrong horse there and wishes to put a degree of distance between it and the the DS brand, in other words, it also does 3D, rather than focus being on 3D.

It was concerns over health of users (and therefore law suits) that put stop to home V.R at the time, to a large degree was it not? Likes of Hasbro, Atari, Sega projects never appeared.

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:16 am

^ It's exactly what you wrote - 'it also does 3D, rather than focus being on 3D' - that's spot on what the current direction is.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:24 am

Mootown wrote:... In fact, after switching away from the 3D messaging, the console has started selling. Sort of ironic.
I don't know whether this TV commercial for SM3DL aired solely in the USA or not but Nintendo are still pushing the 3D aspect of 3DS quite strongly in its marketing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SC5r0OlS ... ure=relmfu