Has the 3DS turned the corner?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

killbot

Has the 3DS turned the corner?

Post by killbot » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:27 am

Yes, yes - another 3DS thread. Something of a different tack on this one, I hope.

We all know that the 3DS has now passed 11 million units sold, and is on course to obliterate the first year sales of the DS - this despite a huge sales slump over the summer that led many to claim that the machine was dead in the water.

I have to admit, despite being a huge Nintendo fan I wasn't that interested in the 3DS. Like everyone else I suppose I thought mobile gaming was making these kind of dedicated machines obsolete. But I recently got an top-of-the-range Android phone and I have to be frank - the games are either fun but extremely limited (i.e. Angry Birds) or else glitchy and saddled with terrible controls. I've cried tears of frustration trying to play GTA III on my phone this morning. All it's done is convinced me that for all the hype, the days when phone games can seriously stand up against their handheld bretheren is still a generation away. I'm now firmly convinced that there is still a place for machines like 3DS and Vita in the world, and the fact that the 3DS is now flying off the shelves and Vita has enjoyed a solid opening in Japan suggests that I'm not alone.

So, are the 3DS and Vita now looking more viable than they were 6 months ago? Or is this just a blip and are iOS and Android still set to devour the market?

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

snowkatt

Re: Has the 3DS turned the corner?

Post by snowkatt » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:52 am

possibly though it may just be the christmas rush and the rush after some actual new games have been released that are not n64 remakes
things may slump back in january or then again they may not
we wil have to see
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:09 am

Nintendo 3DS has been the top selling hardware format in the UK for the last 3 weeks (maybe 4) - so not just doing well in the handheld market, it's been selling ahead of Xbox 360 and PS3. A combination of right price, different colours and the Mario Land / Mario Kart effect has helped this.

I think going into Jan we should see good momentum on the console - Resident Evil Revelations is getting really good feedback and is due end of Jan, then Vita all being well will invigorate the hand-held market again in Feb. There's plenty more stuff on 3DS in Feb/March I just can't remember what's been announced and what hasn't so don't want to write something I shouldn't! It's a good first half for the handheld market for sure.

Then of course there's the rumours that ipad 3 may come out around Vita launch :-) Fingers crossed!

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:16 am

snowkatt wrote:possibly though it may just be the christmas rush and the rush after some actual new games have been released that are not n64 remakes
we wil have to see
Agreed.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

hydr0x

Post by hydr0x » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:59 am

DreamcastRIP wrote:
snowkatt wrote:possibly though it may just be the christmas rush and the rush after some actual new games have been released that are not n64 remakes
we wil have to see
Agreed.
How surprising :lol:

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:02 am

stirs the tea
oooh i know right ?
biscuit ?

sscott

Post by sscott » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:11 am

The 3DS has been outselling compared to its 5 year old rivals, one would hope so!

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:20 am

sscott wrote:The 3DS has been outselling compared to its 5 year old rivals, one would hope so!

is the vita that old already ?
how time flies

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:40 am

Shock news: 3DS starts to do well - forum users find negative spin instantly! (no offense though guys - just an observation)

I would just like to point out again that 3DS has outsold ALL OTHER FORMATS for the last 3/4 weeks. It's not just doing better in context of what 3DS was selling previously, it's now out-performing everyone else for the time being. Which all adds to the installed base, which ultimately gives publishers confidence in the platform, which brings great new games and support from the industry. It's a positive thing that 3DS is selling and I sincerely hope Vita does well on launch as well - price point aside the system looks awesome, but in a very different way to the 3DS offering. Love Mario Kart, Love Wipeout. Good times all-round. I'm actually really looking forward to Q1 next year - Resident Evil Revelations and Wipeout are the 2 games I'm looking forward to most.

sscott

Post by sscott » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:40 am

snowkatt wrote:
sscott wrote:The 3DS has been outselling compared to its 5 year old rivals, one would hope so!

how time flies
It is a rival, kids don't take portable machines outside , they are all home machines now. Anyway, secondary school kids don't give a sh1t about 3DS/Vita anyway, they only care about having decent phones.

sscott

Post by sscott » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:43 am

Mootown wrote:Shock news: 3DS starts to do well - forum users find negative spin instantly! (no offense though guys - just an observation)

I would just like to point out again that 3DS has outsold ALL OTHER FORMATS for the last 3/4 weeks. It's not just doing better in context of what 3DS was selling previously, it's now out-performing everyone else for the time being. Which all adds to the installed base, which ultimately gives publishers confidence in the platform, which brings great new games and support from the industry. It's a positive thing that 3DS is selling and I sincerely hope Vita does well on launch as well - price point aside the system looks awesome, but in a very different way to the 3DS offering. Love Mario Kart, Love Wipeout. Good times all-round. I'm actually really looking forward to Q1 next year - Resident Evil Revelations and Wipeout are the 2 games I'm looking forward to most.
I want all systems to do well but the 3DS not including dual thumb sticks was just baffling. Nintendo have been pioneers in inovation for their hardware for many years, their software - much less so.

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:50 am

sscott wrote:
snowkatt wrote:

how time flies
It is a rival, kids don't take portable machines outside , they are all home machines now. Anyway, secondary school kids don't give a sh1t about 3DS/Vita anyway, they only care about having decent phones.

nokia could have made a killing if they released the n-gage now

...what ?

im serious !

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:51 am

sscott wrote:... Nintendo have been pioneers in inovation for their hardware for many years...
Let's not reopen that extremely contentious debate again after what happened last time! :lol:
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:54 am

Mootown wrote:Shock news: 3DS starts to do well - forum users find negative spin instantly! (no offense though guys - just an observation)

yes but how wil it do after the high and the halo effect of mario land and mario kart wears off i wonder
will it maintain at a high level or start to drop off again ?

november and december are tradtionally the months when most video game sales happen so just because the 3ds has been outselling the other formats for the last 3 4 weeks means very little all it means is the halo effect of the 2 mario games
i want to see how the 3ds does a few months down the line and if it can maintain steady sales with a varied non n64 rehash library

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:55 am

sscott wrote:

I want all systems to do well but the 3DS not including dual thumb sticks was just baffling. Nintendo have been pioneers in inovation for their hardware for many years, their software - much less so.
Yeah I agree with that - bizarre really. Be interesting to see who develops for the circle-pad attachment.