8bit games cheats

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

forestville

8bit games cheats

Post by forestville » Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:10 pm

Here are some cheats for 8bit games

Cybernoid 2 on the zx spectrum: define your keys as orgy you should here a sound, then select redefine your keys then start playing the game with infinite lives.

Cybernoid 1 on the zx spectrum: define your keys as yxes Redefine your keys again if you want then begin the game you will now have infinite lives

Sabature 2 on the zx spectrum: The hardest level of the game is Mission 8 - because Mission 9 is harder only by electrc fence and better for giving you 999 time.

So, mission 8 takes a very exact knowledge of the map, especially papertape places, and excellent skill at energy-loss avoiding. There is no time for battles at all, there is only time to move and rest. There is only one right track for taking all 14 pieces of the tape without a cheat.

One MAIN tip is: there are 15 pieces really. You have to know locations of all 14 boxes with tape. One box contains 2 pieces. So, you can take them and forget about another box. It gives you a chance to shortcut, you only have to choose right not-necessary box. A one most further from the others - for example, a box on level b.

Level codes:

L2 - JONIN
L3 - KIME
L4 - KUJI KIRI
L5 - SAIMENJITSU
L6 - GENIN
L7 - Ml LU KATA
L8 - DIM MAK
L9 - SATORI

Bedlam on the zx spectrum 128k: When you've been killed, push the C key and you should be back where you left off, but with full lives

8)
Press play on tape

K-J N.

Post by K-J N. » Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:42 am

The C64 games by Apex often had some unusual way of activating the cheat mode.

In Creatures 2, when the credits are shown, you had to wet a finger and start rubbing it across one of the joystick ports. When you did an image of the games main character, Clyde, was replaced with Maximus Mouse (starred in two other games published by Thalamus) and every time you moved your finger Maximus would wave his arms, after a while he turned gray and the cheat was activated.

For Retrograde you had to type "I hate bros" in the lower right corner of the screen before you actually loaded the game.

Ghostbiscuit

Post by Ghostbiscuit » Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:58 am

Did that Creatures 2 one actually work? As a young 'un I was terrified of electrocuting myself and/or shorting out my C64. It all sounded a bit far-fetched and April Fools-y to me anyway...

Oh, and didn't all Ocean multi-loaders from a certain point in time have the cheat whereby if you got to the second load or higher and died, instead of rewinding the tape like it asked you to, letting it run would just load the next level instead..?

chinnyhill10

Re: 8bit games cheats

Post by chinnyhill10 » Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:34 am

OK, from memory.

Chase HQ (Spectrum and CPC)

Refine the keys as:

shocked

A test mode will be activated. Now redefine the keys to whatever you want them to be.

Then during the game, press 1,2,3 or 4 for various things to happen (skip level, complete the game, etc).

Supercars (CPC)

Type "odie" or "bigm" on the main screen to skip to the next level

They are the only two I can remember off-hand.

Hungry Horace

Post by Hungry Horace » Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:36 am

Up-Up-Down-Down-Left-Right-Left-Right B, A, Start.

Virtually EVERY Konami game ever (8-bit and otherwise).
Get your own Gamercard Sig.

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:39 am

Including on the GBA Konami compilation, fact fans. (The cheat adds extra levels and graphics to most games.)

As for the Creatures cheat, the same effect could be achieved by some frantic joystick waggling, so to speak.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

K-J N.

Re:

Post by K-J N. » Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:50 am

Ghostbiscuit wrote:Did that Creatures 2 one actually work? As a young 'un I was terrified of electrocuting myself and/or shorting out my C64. It all sounded a bit far-fetched and April Fools-y to me anyway...
Yes, it works.
CraigGrannell wrote:As for the Creatures cheat, the same effect could be achieved by some frantic joystick waggling, so to speak.
It was Creatures 1 that had a joystick waggling cheat, never got the cheat to work with waggling in Creatures 2. From what I've heard the finger rubbing is read more like the input from a paddle controller so maybe if you used one of those.

Get_in_Gear

Post by Get_in_Gear » Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:16 am

Off the top of my head...

I remember that typing in FLUFFY on New Zealand Story on the Speccy gave you infinite lives, while following that with PHILLIP gave you the best weapons upgrade (or vice versa).

Typing BRINGONTHEGIRLS did something for Stormlord - infinite lives? I forget now...

Ooh, and the classic Speccy cheat - walking straight through walls on Gauntlet.
Didn't you just have to hold down shift or something...?
R Tape loading error, 0:1

[+[_]::]

merman

Post by merman » Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:53 am

Cybernoid 1 & 2 were redefine key cheats - set them to YXES and YGRO (read them backwards!) respectively for infinite lives (still have to reach the cargo limit for each level)