Ebay idiots

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

slacey1070

Re: Ebay idiots

Post by slacey1070 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:51 am

I've never sold on ebay and you have all kinda put me off . . .bloke at work has had people trying to rip him off re an iphone.

as a buyer, I always pay in minutes (not that I use it much) - just want it sorted and on its way . . . .
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

MikeFishcake

Post by MikeFishcake » Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:02 am

I've become wary of even buying from ebay now. The vast majority of the time I will only buy from Top rated sellers, if I buy from there at all.

Quite surprised (and a bit disappointed) that, according to Alexa anyway, site usage is still actually increasing.

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:17 am

I think site useage is increasing because more and more of your average joe bloggs realises how easy a listing is to post - after all it can be done in seconds on an iphone (though they really should edit them later to put in actual details).

We see a lot of articles on 'how to make money from crap' in the papers and on TV , unfortunately it doesn't guide them into how to price stuff or deal with people.

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:33 am

shiftytigger wrote:I think site useage is increasing because more and more of your average joe bloggs realises how easy a listing is to post - after all it can be done in seconds on an iphone (though they really should edit them later to put in actual details).

We see a lot of articles on 'how to make money from crap' in the papers and on TV , unfortunately it doesn't guide them into how to price stuff or deal with people.
Yeah, making money from cr*p - which you then spend getting to the post office and standing with old people who smell of wee for 90minutes.

I was keen to try buying then realised getting to the post office is a nightmare at lunch times, so for the stake of making a fiver, I'd rather give my cr*p to the charity shop.
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

James A

Post by James A » Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:07 am

slacey1070 wrote:
shiftytigger wrote:I think site useage is increasing because more and more of your average joe bloggs realises how easy a listing is to post - after all it can be done in seconds on an iphone (though they really should edit them later to put in actual details).

Yeah, making money from cr*p - which you then spend getting to the post office and standing with old people who smell of wee for 90minutes.

I was keen to try buying then realised getting to the post office is a nightmare at lunch times, so for the stake of making a fiver, I'd rather give my cr*p to the charity shop.
Thats another downside to it with the Post Office. Last place i went to to post the stuff they hated my guts and it was taking up most of my dinner break

mlucifersam

Post by mlucifersam » Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:52 am

I've had a few dodgy sellers too where I've won an item for just a few quid, they obviously wanted more, say they've sent it out when they blatantly haven't. I get a refund cos I've been waiting so long for it to arrive and they relist the item in a few weeks, hoping to get more than the couple of quid I won it for in the 1st place!
Mark R. Jones

Ocean Software Ltd FB page: http://www.facebook.com/OceanSoftwareLtd
Ultimate Play The Game FB page: https://www.facebook.com/ultimateptg

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:02 am

mlucifersam wrote:I've had a few dodgy sellers too where I've won an item for just a few quid, they obviously wanted more, say they've sent it out when they blatantly haven't. I get a refund cos I've been waiting so long for it to arrive and they relist the item in a few weeks, hoping to get more than the couple of quid I won it for in the 1st place!
I had the same thing a year or so ago with a cd I won. I got it for £3 including postage, and i then got a message saying that they went to send it, but had seen the cd had broke, so had refunded me instead. I mean, they should have checked the condition of the item before listing it, or at least put a reserve on it or something. Pillocks.
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:15 am

Talking of cd's ! My ebay account had about 1400 feedback with one negative (had a nightmare seller)

I sold a cd for 99p, it was fine when i sent it, in a jiffy bag, the user left me a negative (!) as the cd case was broken. I mean ebay states (just like shops do), if theres a problem talk to the seller first, i would have quite happily sent a new cd case to him (even though i didnt have to) for a 99p cd instead of him leaving me only my second ever neg. You get some right idiots on ebay, plus ebay seems to protect the buyer more rather than the seller. Couldnt even leave neg feedback for this idiot

GunstarHero

Post by GunstarHero » Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:23 am

I normally only purchase 'buy it now' items from sellers with 100% feedback and I always pay straight away. Only ever sold one item and some Australian dude bought it. He was a delight to do buissness with and gave me some good feedback.

firebreather

Post by firebreather » Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:35 am

Just had a spanish buyer buy my UK only sonic 3 :roll:

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:01 am

I hate it when sellers back out of deal with really pathetic excuses just because the item didn't sell for what they expected. I've had people say that their wife listed the item when they shouldn't have or one seller say oh we thought we had one of these but we don't he's a refund - about 2 minutes after the item ended really low price.

che_don_john

Post by che_don_john » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:39 am

I guess that ebay/PayPal siding with the buyer is just about being in line with standard consumer rules; the whole 'the customer is always right' thing.

Most of my items tend to be no more than £15 (the majority are things I'm trying to get rid of because no one wants them when I offer them for free here, such is their rubbishness; I see them merely as 'feedback boosters'), but if I ever sell anything of value I take two measures - one is to photo/video the item working (including taking pictures of any serial numbers), and the second is to send recorded deliver. That's as much as you can do to cover yourself.

As for the whole thing about sellers withholding items because the winning bids aren't as high as they wanted, I had a little blip when I sold a copy of the PS2 game 'Disney's Cars'. With about 10 mins to go a bid came in for it, so I decided to get a head start and package it up. In doing so I droped the disc onto a dumb-bell, and when I picked it up I saw a slight scratch. I couldn't be sure if that had been there already and although I'd tested the game beforehand I thought best to try it again. Low and behold the game now failed to load; my PS2 had always been temperamental anyway, but I couldn't be sure it wasn't the disc's scratch.

I contacted the seller before the bidding had even ended, but was very self-conscious that she would think what we'd all be thinking! She got back to me the next day, seemed cool about it and agreed to withdraw her bid. But even so, I was worried that she'd think I'd pulled it because it was selling cheap; I e-mailed her a few days later and offered to send it to her for free anyway, but I never heard back.

An innocent mistake, but there's still a chance she could have blocked or even reported me thinking I was dodgy, and so perhaps she never got my e-mail offering to send it to her for free.
CheDonJohn's Sale/Trade/Wanted/Giveaway thread

PSN ID, XBL Gamertag and Steam: CheDonJohn
Playfire profile

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:10 pm

I've only ever cancelled twice and there is a lesson to learn from it.

First instance was a game I had in my collection before I relocated. It was being stored at my moms house while I sorted and checked my stuff into my new house. Being a particularly OCD collector at times , I maintained a list of games at all times and listed it whilst on location at my moms house - so I could check before listing. All was fine - went back home and sold the game in question - only to be told by my mom that she couldnt find it to pack it. Come to think of it,a few of the other games from that box seemed to be gone,as I listed a few to her over the phone . The lesson learned - never show or check game values with a thieving git of a family member in the room. What started as him being interested in price checking and resale values turned into a chunk of my game collection being sold off to f#ckin kids for probably a pittance . I not only had to explain that the game was missing - refund payment and get negative feedback - but I also lost my OWN copy of the game to boot as well as having to ban said family member from the house. I will add that said person is not a junkie, but a 13 year old kid. Git .

Second was a short while afterwards,shortly after having the crates of games shipped to my house. I sold a game , took it for granted that it had shipped in the same condition as it was when i bought it.
This was not the case and stupidly I hadnt checked before listing. Several of the games had been crushed and almost destroyed by the courier company.Point being I hadn't checked - so assumed the games were fine.Yet again,I had been my own undoing , one more negative feedback and a refund later I now no longer assume anything or fail to check what I am selling.

In short - it doesn't matter how true your reasons are - it's all just 'the dog ate my homework' to customers. I hate cancelling after a sale , it is annoying when it is done to me but i do understand sh*t happens - be honest and at least your conscience is as clear as it can be.

retrosofer

Post by retrosofer » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:24 pm

I have sold a few things on ebay, and i have always thought that if the listing doesn't end up at the price i was expecting, then so be it, thats the risk you take when not putting a reserve price on item.

I dont think sellers are well looked after though, surly ebay could come up with some sort of solution to sellers being able to leave negative feedback. But i do understand why ebay took it away, as buyers were being held to ransom with the threat of negative feedback when seller is in the wrong.

I also think its really cheeky about the fees, a listing fee, final sale fee, then paypal charge the seller as well, its really harsh i think.

Uaithne

Post by Uaithne » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:44 pm

I've sold on eBid and Oztion (Australian site), but they both suck IMO - just not as much exposure I guess. There was another games specific auction site here in Australia - gameauctions.com - or something of the like. It was pretty good, but it seemed everyone charged a mint for postage, and would never combine those costs, so only ever bought a few things from there (great idea though).

This week I've actually opened a new eBay account (previously I had just been using my dad's) as I wouldn't mind putting some stuff up to sell. I guess you'll see me complaining here in a few months.

I don't understand those on there that don't pay or whatever. I pay for my items within 3 days, and if that's not possible, always make sure I ask for some time before bidding/buying - which no seller has ever complained about. I don't know if it's just a communication thing, or whether there are just a number of a-holes out there that couldn't give a censored about it. Guess I'll find out for myself...
"Not to know what happened before you were born is to be a child forever" -Marcus Tullius Cicero, 46BC

Wants List | Items for Sale