Games you just didn't GET/understand the appeal of...

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

slacey1070

Re: Games you just didn't GET/understand the appeal of...

Post by slacey1070 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:17 am

I also struggled with later Tomb Raiders, maybe I didn't give them enough time, I got frustrated with spending ages climbing up and then slipping and having to do it all over again. . . I know many love that kind of challenge, however its not my thing.

Elite would probably be another - I get the appeal - I just couldn't get into it and try as I might, I just found it boring - flying (slowly) between planets that look the same and being chased (slowly) by ships far better than yours, so you die (quickly) and docking (badly) with space stations did little for me - although I acknowledge it was a landmark title and did things that no one had managed before. I always wondered how many people spent enough time on it to get to Elite status - always struck me that people HAD to say how good it was. . .
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:47 am

I kind of enjoyed playing Tau ceti and Tau Ceti 2 : Academy as a kid , but never really understood what the point was. Now as a grown up I understand it more and find the game reasonably enjoyable. Sometimes its the opposite way round - play a game now and wonder why I loved it as a kid. It is one of the reasons I love retro gaming so much more - gaining a new appreciation of the finer points of games and the things you never really saw before with an adults eyes.

Rose tinted spectacles are handy.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:59 am

snowkatt wrote:

chronotrigger : a boring over rated over hyped grind fest
Lol. Chrono Trigger a grind fest! :lol:
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:36 am

ShadowMan wrote:
shiftytigger wrote:Tomb Raider.

Something about the controls just annoyed me - it felt unnatural and irked me so much i have avoided the games at every opportunity. Have tried several incarnations but just don't enjoy them.
Same here. I've tried to get into the game several times but just don't enjoy the early ones at all. The controls just kill the game for me. I don't so much mind the later ones from Crystal Dynamics though.
Yup, Legend is the only Tomb Raider I've ever finished.

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:11 am

nakamura wrote:
snowkatt wrote:

chronotrigger : a boring over rated over hyped grind fest
Lol. Chrono Trigger a grind fest! :lol:
make that overpriced for the snes version as well

dont get all the love for guardian heroes either
its a pretty shallow scrolling brawler with annoying unskippable cutscenes every few minutes to break up the short levels
fact that mine is japanese so i have no idea what they are going on about doesnt help much either
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

SonicTheHedgehog

Post by SonicTheHedgehog » Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:16 pm

All the 2d Mario games. They just leave me cold and seem too Cerebral as well as boring me with their level design compared to the 2d Sonic games. Iv really tried loving them but have failed each time. I know i'm not wrong on this but not saying others are wrong in liking it either.

Oh and i forgot to mention all these war fps games. Bland level design and shallow gameplay.

Also i loved the early Tomb Raiders and felt the tight slower controls were always meant to be. I never had any problems with them whatsoever.
Last edited by SonicTheHedgehog on Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The square is a great shape, and one that is criminally underused in modern game design. In the push to ever more granular, chaotic environments, games have lost sight of the simple pleasures of right angles and straight lines.

che_don_john

Post by che_don_john » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:17 pm

Two recent examples:

MGS4

I started the first level, got on my belly, crawled to the end in just over a minute.
I started the second level, got on my belly, crawled to the end in a couple of minutes.
I started the third level, got on my belly, crawled to the end in about five minutes.
I started the fourth level, decided to mix it up a little and ran about, shooting. Then I took the disc out and put the game on ebay.

Just didn't get that game at all.

L.A. Noire

Just recently finished this game. I thought the facial animations were amazing and the game picks up well in the final quarter, but the rest of it was just so, so boring. I found the interrogations/questioning scenarios to be very innaccurate and so frustrating. As for the game being open world: what's the point? You have no need to stray from the A-to-B path that the game gives you each mission. A very overrated game.
Last edited by che_don_john on Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
CheDonJohn's Sale/Trade/Wanted/Giveaway thread

PSN ID, XBL Gamertag and Steam: CheDonJohn
Playfire profile

llj

Post by llj » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:43 pm

Tomb Raider has not dated well, but back in the day it was a big thing. One of the early 3d games that really shook up the gaming world. I admit I did dig it in the day, but once Zelda OOT came out, it was rendered redundant by the populace.

Naturally, the best way to play it was on the PC.

ewjim

Post by ewjim » Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:01 pm

im glad other people already started bashing some of these so i would not get instantly slapped down.

ICO - utterly grey boredom mixed with different shades of clive barker greeny brown. It was tedious.

Altered Beast - did not find the appeal about a naked man going shin kicking.

Call Of Duty (all but #4) - with its 'press X to stab / hang / WIN AMERICA game endings. At least Modern Warfare originally tried something new instead of aping each version shamelessly. The sound of the grenade clinky clink clinking about is the same one every time.

Gran turismo - just didnt get it. Rage racer or bust for me.

Zelda - they are great games but they are literally the same every time. I would say this about ninty being stuck in their profiteering comfort zone but then they hit us all with the Metroid re vamps. No complaints there!

The Angry Jock

Post by The Angry Jock » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:36 am

Thoroughly depressing thread this.
Retropassion reborn
sscott wrote:I fuck1n love the fuck1n Internet and all its fuckin fu(kball opinions. I fuck1n like this fuk(her, I don't fuccckin like this fuckeeer. It's not out yet, that isn't gonna gonna stop me! No sir! and so onnnnnnnnnn........

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:12 am

Think it just shows the differences in opinion and how even well loved titles aren't everyone's cup of tea.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:31 am

Mario Kart 7 for the 3DS. I loved Mario Kart DS but there is too much randomness going on in this latest game. In the DS version you could use your skill to get so far into the lead that a blue shell didn't really stop you winning. In MK7, everybody else seems to be right behind you at all times. Getting the triple-star ranking on each cup was all about luck and whether or not you got bombed back to the stone age with weapons on the last corner so I didn't bother in the end.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Shiva

Post by Shiva » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:14 pm

Pretty much every game from the final fantasy or megaman series.

Didnt understand the appeal then and still dont now but at least capcom share my view on megaman these days :lol:
That glorious b*stard before Mr X.

delbert_trout

Post by delbert_trout » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:39 pm

Another vote for the PS1 Tomb Raider games from me - can't get into those at all, maybe it's a case of just had to be there at the time.
http://www.retrogamer.net/user/delbert_trout

When you think you've got problems you don't really need,
They're maybe not as bad as they seem,
Cos in a world full of misery, with hatred and greed,
Your problems are another man's dream.

retrojc

Post by retrojc » Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:10 pm

zelda