Games you just didn't GET/understand the appeal of...

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

shiftytigger

Games you just didn't GET/understand the appeal of...

Post by shiftytigger » Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:17 am

Ever booted up a game you just bought , where everyone is raving about it or you looked forward to and it just didn't work out for you?
Maybe you got stuck on it and didn't have the will to keep trying. Or maybe something just didn't work for you and you developed a vague dislike/raging hatred for even the movement of the central character?

What game was it and what put you off or ruined it for you? Have you tried it since.

shiftytigger

Re: Games you just didn't GET/understand the appeal of...

Post by shiftytigger » Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:31 am

I'll kick it off (and probably post the only reply)

Tomb Raider.

Something about the controls just annoyed me - it felt unnatural and irked me so much i have avoided the games at every opportunity. Have tried several incarnations but just don't enjoy them.

Zool

Found the titular character annoying to control and the game just a bit . Speed in a game can work well a la Sonic , but control is important and the lack of definition to the controls just left me unimpressed.

Ridge Racer / Sega Rally / Daytona (arcade machines)

Maybe I'm an old fart but these games I have always associated with the death of the @arcade' as I knew it . Expensive to play , always covered in 'manboys' showing off how they would drive a Nova through a housing estate , taking up too much room (causing some of my fave machines to be taken away and probably scrapped) and just generally not being my cup of tea. To be perfectly honest the home versions don't do much for me either)

Mortal Kombat

Aside from the 'gore' and its obvious appeal to kids , i found the controls irritating and it just wasnt Street Fighter 2. Once it moved into 3D (3 dimensional graphics , not the over used 3d gimmick term) it became a little better but I think I just missed some kind of boat with this one.

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:45 am

Oh yeah, I hated Zool. I actually dislike most 16-bit computer platformers because of this exact reason. Superfrog is nigh on unplayable to me. The controls are always too loose.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:51 am

Fifa/Pro Evo/Most beat-em-ups that require the player to memorise complex combinations of buttons to pull off moves. You spend more time concentrating on what you're doing with your controller than the action on screen. Games should be about quick reflexes, logical thinking and/or good hand/eye co-ordination than about remembering a sequence for me. That's why IK+, WOTEF, Sensi and Kick Off 2 will always be more enjoyable to play (and require a higher degree of skill to master) than Tekken, Street fighter, FIFA and PRo Evo. The art of passing the ball out to the wing , tearing past a defender and curling a cross in for your striker to head the ball home gives far more satisfaction when played on Kick Off 2 than Fifa
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

r0jaws

Post by r0jaws » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:08 am

Speedball Brutal Deluxe. I really wanted to like this game but I just could not get my head around the controls, it all seems far too random for me. But then I am rubbish at most "team sports" games, I always lose where I am and who I am controlling at the time.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:18 am

r0jaws wrote:Speedball Brutal Deluxe. I really wanted to like this game but I just could not get my head around the controls, it all seems far too random for me. But then I am rubbish at most "team sports" games, I always lose where I am and who I am controlling at the time.

The secret was to buy a great player, pass the ball to him , and then spend most of your time acquiring more cash so you can buy more star players. In the early stages, your star player(s) could run rings round the opposition
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

The Hardest of All Freds

Post by The Hardest of All Freds » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:28 am

Goldeneye - floaty controls and foggy polygons, aside from the fact I didn't particularly like James Bond.
Going Solo...................

c0nfu53d

Post by c0nfu53d » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:03 am

The Hardest of All Freds wrote:Goldeneye - floaty controls and foggy polygons, aside from the fact I didn't particularly like James Bond.
I thought this was apoor game too.
shiftytigger wrote:I'll kick it off (and probably post the only reply)

Mortal Kombat

Aside from the 'gore' and its obvious appeal to kids , i found the controls irritating and it just wasnt Street Fighter 2. Once it moved into 3D (3 dimensional graphics , not the over used 3d gimmick term) it became a little better but I think I just missed some kind of boat with this one.
The first MK was very limited but the second one was an amazing game.

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:14 am

The obvious one for me is Grand Theft Auto. Doesn't matter which one in the series whether it was 2d or 3d. Other candidates include Shenmue which I found completely dull to play & any Nintendo developed game as none of their characters appeal to me (especially Mario).
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

Combo-Breaker

Post by Combo-Breaker » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:30 am

Final Fantasy, every last one of them.

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:52 am

Any with more cutscenes than gameplay - you know the ones...

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:16 am

Nemesis wrote:... & any Nintendo developed game as none of their characters appeal to me (especially Mario).
Are you Jagfest_UK in disguise? :lol:
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:38 am

Nemesis wrote: any Nintendo developed game as none of their characters appeal to me (especially Mario).
Definately this!!!! 8)

MattyC64c

Post by MattyC64c » Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:55 am

In the old days I wouldn't touch RPG games, they never appealed to me at all. All changed now, the modern RPG's are great, I've loved Oblivion and the Fallout games. I've tried the old RPG's since, but I still can't get on with them though.

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:04 am

DreamcastRIP wrote:
Nemesis wrote:... & any Nintendo developed game as none of their characters appeal to me (especially Mario).
Are you Jagfest_UK in disguise? :lol:
Well I had to have a kindred spirit somewhere! :lol: We can't be the only ones though can we? :mrgreen:
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer