Games that were better than their Arcade counterparts

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

resident paul

Re: Games that were better than their Arcade counterparts

Post by resident paul » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:07 am

Buggy Boy was better on the C64 than the arcade & bionic commando was better on the miggy than the arcade.

thebear

Post by thebear » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:12 am

Prefferred Speccy Renegade to the arcade

one of the biggest collections of classic 70's, 80'S and on wrestling and boxing around - http://www.freewebs.com/cbenee

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:54 am

I'd call Buggy Boy on the C64 and Area 88/UN Squadron on SNES but they've already been said. I'd argue Spy Hunter on the C64 was a better balanced game too.
mightyred666 wrote:Also Combat School was better on C64 than arcade. I was sick and tired of getting my fingers nipped on the trackerball when playing it in the arcade.
Guess you never found one of the machines that had a joystick instead of the trackball then? That's what my local place got in...
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

joefish

Post by joefish » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:59 am

Commando on the Speccy was a lot more playable than the arcade one. The plain backgrounds meant the sprites were clearer and it wasn't so unfairly hard right at the start.

I also preferred Strider on the Atari ST to the arcade. The sprites were smaller and actually seemed to connect with the background, rather than overlapping and flapping about everywhere.

Bionic Commando was a playability disaster in the arcades and that carried through to most ports. The NES version was a completely different game but no better. NES Strider was a mess, as was Mighty Final Fight. You really had to be desperate to put up with those sort of re-hashes. If a game's going to masquerade as a conversion of something popular, it would have to be a whole lot better than the original to get away with it. And none of these Capcom foul-ups were.
Last edited by joefish on Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lord Innit

Post by Lord Innit » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:15 pm

HEAVYface wrote:the md versions of eswat atomic runner were better than the arcade versions imo.

I haven't played Atomic Runner but I can certainly agree with you on Eswat. One of my fave MD games.

themightymartin

Post by themightymartin » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:35 pm

Seriously? Is nobody else going to say it?

Sigh...

Fine... Turtles in Time on the SNES.
Xbox Live\Steam: themightymartin
3DS Friend Code: 5000-3656-8384
Zazzle Store: YonDer Designs

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:54 pm

joefish wrote:Commando on the Speccy was a lot more playable than the arcade one. The plain backgrounds meant the sprites were clearer and it wasn't so unfairly hard right at the start.
Great call! :D

I only managed to play the arcade coin-op of Commando some time after I'd bought Elite Systems' sublime home conversion for the Speccy. I recall being so excited to play the arcade original of what was then one of my favourite games... and then feeling quite shocked at how poor (and difficult!) it was compared to what I knew.

Given that I earlier mentioned Bomb Jack it seems Elite Systems are doing quite well in this thread with their Speccy arcade conversions. :D
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:05 pm

Arguably Cabal , certainly Buggy Boy , both on C64

Don't know if it's better , but I do know I found R-Type on the Speccy better than the arcade version.

Good call with Commando on the Speccy , I've always said it is better than the arcade - the sprites move much more fluidly , and it plays a far better , fairer game.

1942 on the NES was more enjoyable with a powerbar instead of lives
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Lord Innit

Post by Lord Innit » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:39 pm

Believe it or not, I think the 2600 version of Space Invaders is better than the arcade. All the different variations like invisible invaders, moving bases, zig zagging bullets and two player co-op added to the usual mundane plodding invaders format.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:41 pm

Lord Innit wrote:Believe it or not, I think the 2600 version of Space Invaders is better than the arcade. All the different variations like invisible invaders, moving bases, zig zagging bullets and two player co-op added to the usual mundane plodding invaders format.
Agree 100%, I loved the fact all those early 2600 games had so many different game variations it added a lot more gameplay to the product.

RMLF

Post by RMLF » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:00 pm

Bishi Bashi Special- Better as was easier to play, the arcade was good, got round to it at R3play, but the home version, just wow

MIdnight Resistance/Two Crude Dudes on the Megadrive- also imo better than the arcade

Mercs Megadrive, better control system, fairer game as limited to 1 player and not designed for 3 at once

Final Fight CD- Remixed sound track and voice over stuff, marks it out as being better
The Artist Formerly Known as Ralph Milne's Left Foot :P

Wheres Gus Ceasar when you need him?... Pah!

Ralph's Trade/Sale Thread http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=22769

JazzFunk

Post by JazzFunk » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:08 pm

^Mercs on MD also had an RPG-style mode with different levels and upgrades. Gauntlet on MD also had an RPG-style mode that made it much more substantial to play than the infinite, simpler single player arcade mode. Just sad that I had two copies of it and both corrupted my saves at certain points, so I never finished the RPG quest. :(

I'd also say that MD Shadow Dancer was better than the arcade version, which was a clumsy, blobby version of the original Shinobi. MD version's different but feels much more playable, and the music is better.

llj

Post by llj » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:19 pm

I haven't beaten the arcade Shadow Dancer, but what I have played, somehow I actually like it better that the MD version. A lot of people favour the MD version, but the level design in my opinion just isn't as interesting, and same with the bosses.

Fighting games are usually best in the arcade, but the PS2 version of KOF XI is superior to the arcade version in a number of areas. It even loads faster!

JazzFunk

Post by JazzFunk » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:36 pm

^I'll actually give it another shot on MAME, I don't hate the game, just prefer it on MD but haven't really given that much time to the arcade one. I'll give ESWAT (another vastly different MD home conversion) another go, too, as the MD version frustrated me by seemingly only allowing you to fire one shot at once, I *did* complete the game but the firing was all messed up, would've felt better if it'd been a bit more generous.

thesubcon3

Post by thesubcon3 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:30 pm

Can't believe nobody mentioned Contra on the NES as it is way better than the arcade IMO

I do like Ninja Gaiden on the NES however it is quite a bit different than the arcade.

I like the NES Double Dragon 1 and 2 better than the arcade versions as well.