Final Fight or Streets Of Rage?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

retrosofer

Re: Final Fight or Streets Of Rage?

Post by retrosofer » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:42 am

thevulture wrote:
Skull Commander wrote:Why choose between them? They are both cracking games and both still get regular play from me.
Exactly.Have both on PS3 (Final Fight i bought along with Magic Sword from PSN and SOR 2 on Sega MD Collection) and play both regularly. They compliment each other i find.
I always found it wierd how SOR2 on XBLA had multiplayer co-op, but it didn't have it on the game, or any of the SOR games on the Mega Drive Collection, the game is an awesome co-op multiplayer game over live.

samhain81

Post by samhain81 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:47 am

Great Games, but it has to be Streets of Rage 1 all the way for me. Didn't even like 2 or 3 that much, Streets of Rage 1 was the pinnacle of my youth with its squad car assists and amazing beats!

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:41 pm

Final Fight hands down either the arcade or PPS via CPS1 emulator.. I still 1cc this every monday on my friends Arcade Machine, complete it and go through it again, a game that came 1989 and still gets paid weekly.. If it was Streets of Rage 2 that would be difficult, my favourite ever Megadrive game and still gets played on X Box live, I'm actually in the top 50 best players on Live got to Mr X with Blaze on hardcore(without continuing almost maxed out the score)

For its time SOR 2 had loads of moves but most recent games like Alien vs Predators, Battle Circuit had street fighter Dragon Punch charge move type motions..

Streets of Rage 1 good for it time remember playing it in the Computer Shop and being blown away, a friend in collegue lent me the Megadrive version.. Only problem is all the bosses can be beaten easy with the same move
Last edited by Shinobi on Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:06 pm

I feel a sense of deja vu with this topic :wink:

However, it has to be Final Fight all the way. Was the best scrolling fighter then & it is for me now. Huge sprites, larger than life characters & it's heroes & villains have been of good enough stock to feature in many games since. Mainly in Street Fighter though!
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

Hitman_HalStep

Post by Hitman_HalStep » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:28 pm

as much as i like the SOR games it has to be final fight with it's huge imposing characters that still look great,gameplay wise they are on an equal footing for me so it's all down to looks.i'm going to be firing it up later because of this.
"i swear the thing is evolving before my eyes,if you see something this big with eight legs heading towards you let me know,i have to kill it before it develops language skills"

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:25 pm

Double Dragon

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:49 pm

Streets of Rage 2 had multiplayer. Fighting games (of any sort) are amazingly tedious unless there's another person.
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

DigitalDuck

Post by DigitalDuck » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:16 pm

Bare Knuckle III.
Xbox Live | YouTube | Top games picture | Top games list

Help needed for gaming-related projects! PM or email for full details if you can do:
2D or 3D art
Story writing
Shmup level design

van

Post by van » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:52 pm

Jagfest_UK wrote:
van wrote:If we are talking home carts only, SoR hands down as Final Fight never really got the treatment it deserved in regards to a home port.
Really? :shock: I guess you havn't played the Mega-CD version then?
Fair enough, i have not played Final Fight CD, but based on the format, I probably just assumed it was crap.
Also, Final Fight One for GBA was pretty good too.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:12 pm

Streets of Rage 2 every time for me. I like Final Fight just not as much. Also, I find it far easier to die in Final Fight than in SoR 2 so there's a bit of a difficulty factor swaying my vote there. I also prefer SoR's characters and music.

Violent Storm is another kick-ass beat 'em up from Konami that easily gives both of these a run for their money :)
DigitalDuck wrote:Bare Knuckle III.
Really? I have this on the Japanese Mega Drive (cost me quite a bit to get a complete copy in nice condition too!) and even playing the game without its censors, something just feels off about the whole thing. It's not a bad game at all but there's too much going on and it feels like a bit of an overly-ambitious, overblown mess to me. Taken for what it was i.e. not constantly comparing it to its predecessor it's okay though.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

SoupDragon

Post by SoupDragon » Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:43 pm

HalcyonDaze00 wrote:Double Dragon
Seconded :wink:

delbert_trout

Post by delbert_trout » Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:48 pm

Definitely Streets of rage 2 for me - although always loved Final Fight as well. Very, very well done to Shinobi if you can 1CC the game - respect! I'm usually dead before the end of the moving train scene! :lol:
http://www.retrogamer.net/user/delbert_trout

When you think you've got problems you don't really need,
They're maybe not as bad as they seem,
Cos in a world full of misery, with hatred and greed,
Your problems are another man's dream.

DigitalDuck

Post by DigitalDuck » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:09 pm

Megamixer wrote:
DigitalDuck wrote:Bare Knuckle III.
Really? I have this on the Japanese Mega Drive (cost me quite a bit to get a complete copy in nice condition too!) and even playing the game without its censors, something just feels off about the whole thing. It's not a bad game at all but there's too much going on and it feels like a bit of an overly-ambitious, overblown mess to me. Taken for what it was i.e. not constantly comparing it to its predecessor it's okay though.
Well, my main problem with the first two games (and quite a few beat-'em-ups in general) is that they're just too slow. You punch someone, and then wait for what seems like years for the punching animation to finish before you can dish out another one. Playing on a PAL system made this even worse. Not to mention the complete lack of a run in these games. Imagine the stage with the elevator and a time limit where the hero just casually strolls around everywhere...

That's why Streets of Rage Remake is so good - you can play with some decent settings, but with the variety of all stages from all games in the series with any of the characters, plus some new stuff. But that's not an official installment in the series, so it's BK3 for me.
Xbox Live | YouTube | Top games picture | Top games list

Help needed for gaming-related projects! PM or email for full details if you can do:
2D or 3D art
Story writing
Shmup level design

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:42 pm

final fight
never cared much for the so called great sound track of streets of rage 2 it tends to give me a headache
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

OldSkoolCoolFool

Post by OldSkoolCoolFool » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:03 am

Final Fight, both good games though. So are these officially the best of the genre?
Jagfest_UK wrote:Looks like your use of the letter T made your trousers fall down :wink: