Killer Instinct

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Liamh1982

Re: Killer Instinct

Post by Liamh1982 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:38 am

^ Once completed SNES version on default settings pulling off no more than a 6-hit combo!

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:32 am

Liamh1982 wrote:^ Once completed SNES version on default settings pulling off no more than a 6-hit combo!
That's what annoyed me the most. Once you got past a certain number of hits any other hits in the combo chain took practically nothing off the life bar. So there was no point! Plus once you figured out the later game's Combo Breakers you could cheese your way to victory. Let them come at you - combo break - rinse & repeat. Even on hard modes. The combo break took much more life than their broken combo so you'd win by attrition.

It does look and sound good though. Visually and sonically it easily put other games to shame.
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

Stainy

Post by Stainy » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:43 am

This is running in the new version of Mame for the Pandora..
albeit slowly... but it runs!

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:02 am

Freestyler wrote:
Liamh1982 wrote:^ Once completed SNES version on default settings pulling off no more than a 6-hit combo!
That's what annoyed me the most. Once you got past a certain number of hits any other hits in the combo chain took practically nothing off the life bar. So there was no point! Plus once you figured out the later game's Combo Breakers you could cheese your way to victory. Let them come at you - combo break - rinse & repeat. Even on hard modes. The combo break took much more life than their broken combo so you'd win by attrition.

It does look and sound good though. Visually and sonically it easily put other games to shame.
Absolutely. Also a lot of the combos were very samey and not that hard to pull off. It really is a shallow title but like the first two MK games, it gets by on fun factor and visual appeal.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

samhain81

Post by samhain81 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:57 am

Freestyler wrote:Plus it also introduced the idiocy of having to sit there while some nabfister hit you with a boringly long 50 hit combo. What's the point?
Wow, that is not Killer Instinct at all! Ever heard of a Combo Breaker? Didn't think so. Combo Breakers tested the opponent(victims) accuracy when being attacked, as Combo Breakers could only been initiated between an old and new combo chain.

Don't stress because you were never able to pull one off, and had to endure combos from people like myself lol. People who truly mastered the combo breakers would never have more than 5 hits on them before being broken.

Skull Commander

Post by Skull Commander » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:10 pm

I love Killer Instinct and wish that Rare would just put the first two games on XBLA.

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:46 pm

samhain81 wrote:
Freestyler wrote:Plus it also introduced the idiocy of having to sit there while some nabfister hit you with a boringly long 50 hit combo. What's the point?
Wow, that is not Killer Instinct at all! Ever heard of a Combo Breaker? Didn't think so. Combo Breakers tested the opponent(victims) accuracy when being attacked, as Combo Breakers could only been initiated between an old and new combo chain.

Don't stress because you were never able to pull one off, and had to endure combos from people like myself lol. People who truly mastered the combo breakers would never have more than 5 hits on them before being broken.
Freestyler wrote:Once you got past a certain number of hits any other hits in the combo chain took practically nothing off the life bar. So there was no point! Plus once you figured out the later game's Combo Breakers you could cheese your way to victory. Let them come at you - combo break - rinse & repeat.
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:24 am

Met most of my friends from Killer Instinct about 15 off us used to go in Stardust to play it.. The normal combo's where easy to do, the fun was the bugs and finding much higher combo's then you where meant to do, as we where all competing to get our name on the board.. Myself I was only on the scoretable with 48 with 'Orchid'

The 80 hit combo's where much harder to do with the exception of Cinders and Spinals, I timed a friend doing 'Cinder's juggle for 20 minute's as the time stops after the Ultra.. Spinal 80's(absorbing one projectile and firing two, giving you infinite fireballs) then juggling them against the corner couldn't be done aafter his ultra.. Everybody else's ultras could only be done on Sabrewolf, Rare's third revision removed all these bugs
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"