Killer Instinct

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Combo-Breaker

Killer Instinct

Post by Combo-Breaker » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:47 am

Is anyone on here a die-hard fan of the game/franchise?

I was just watching a few videos on youtube (mainly silly combo videos) and it reminded me of just how damn good this game (well, Gold was awesome as well imo) was at the time!

Anyone on here still play either of the KI games?

Which one did you prefer, KI or KIG?

van

Re: Killer Instinct

Post by van » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:17 am

I only played KI and I was dominant. The only fighting game that nobody stood a chance.

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:49 am

Not a huge fan of the series. Did look incredible on the SNES - love the intro.

Black Ridge

Post by Black Ridge » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:32 pm

Recently got Gold on N64. Definatley looks and feels better than a lot of fighters out there. would love to see what they could do with the series now that the beat em up genre is booming again.

Might blitz it a bit more but im no good at the combos..... but then im not brilliant at combos on street fighter either and i love that :lol:

OldSkoolCoolFool

Post by OldSkoolCoolFool » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:47 pm

I absolutely loved the 1st one in the arcades, got pretty good at it as well. The Snes conversion was pretty awesome too, it was never gonna look great compared to the original but it played very well with no real loss of gameplay.

I still quite like it but it feels a bit sluggish compared to the Capcom games of the time and I don't much like the prerendered graphics style anymore. I'd really like to see this released on XBLA. I never really put much time into the sequel (or gold), seemed ok at the time but preffered the original by far.
Jagfest_UK wrote:Looks like your use of the letter T made your trousers fall down :wink:

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:22 pm

Own the original on SNES and Game Boy, and KI Gold too, so you could say I'm a fan.

It's high up on my list of franchises they should bring back - I just love its OTT-ness, my favourite character is Fulgore.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:24 pm

It was a fun game that was pretty spectacular but ultimately it lacked real class. The combo system was more of a memory test than anything. I did like the visuals, sound and characters overall though.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

samhain81

Post by samhain81 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:29 pm

My only cherished fighting game since I was a teenager.

Now Im all grown up and have the arcade machine under my stairs :)

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:33 pm

I was never lucky enough to play the arcade game but the music on the CD was utterly amazing.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

Joey

Post by Joey » Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:40 pm

Great game.

Spinal was my fave character.

dste

Post by dste » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:10 pm

Used to enjoy playing it with mates when I was younger, will have to dig it out and give it another blast.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

Combo-Breaker

Post by Combo-Breaker » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:47 pm

You lucky bugger sam! How much did that cost you? And where did you get it from?

I only got to play the arcade version once, back in '95.

I rate it just below SFII Turbo as the best in the genre. :D

The graphics, for the time and genre, were on another level. The characters and combos were awesome (hence where i get my name from) and the music was second to none.

c0nfu53d

Post by c0nfu53d » Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:25 pm

Played this to death on the SNES, not quite as much as MK2 but nearly. Chief Thunder was awesome. Now Rare haven't got to spend so much time on kinect we may see some new games from them. I'm not sure what I'd like to see more, a proper Banjo game, a Conker sequal or Killer Instinct on the 360.

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:31 pm

Ahh yes. The Game that was supposedly running on the new "Ultra 64" board. A taste of what the N64 was able to do. Hmm. :lol:
As much as I respect Rare for their games (although not of late it has to be said) I still think the game's all glitter and no sparkle. Plus it also introduced the idiocy of having to sit there while some nabfister hit you with a boringly long 50 hit combo. What's the point?

Ah yes. Show-boating.

Killer Instinct. Less a game and more a memory test. Like Mortal Kombat in fact. Exactly like Mortal Kombat in fact.
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

OldSkoolCoolFool

Post by OldSkoolCoolFool » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:42 pm

Freestyler wrote:Killer Instinct. Less a game and more a memory test. Like Mortal Kombat in fact. Exactly like Mortal Kombat in fact.
The memory test is actually a fair comment but for all its faults its still a far far better game than Mortal Kombat. I don't think theres been any fighters with such cheap bastard computer AI as the 1st 3 Mortal Kombats.
Jagfest_UK wrote:Looks like your use of the letter T made your trousers fall down :wink: