wii U

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Antiriad2097

Re: wii U

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:53 am

This is no doubt obvious to many of you, but something has just dawned on me.

Since playing Indepence War (now available on GoG.com) years ago, I've always fancied a custom controller for flight/space sims.

I had dreams of building a custom panel with controls replicating those in game. Think Steel Battalion and you get the idea.

Overly ambitious, but then LCD display keytop keyboads started to show up. That would have been a nice compromise, with the keys displaying the game controls instead of letters. Prohibitively expensive, I've still not seen those drop down to a regular consumer level (if they still exist at all).

Its just struck me that the Wii U has great potential in this area. Just think, we could have a Star Trek game where your ship is controlled not just by sticks and buttons, but using a fully functional LCARS interface.

Its potentially very exciting for any game that features complex display and control panels. It removes us from the variations of PC setups and gives the uniformity of console gaming but without the usual control restrictions of the latter.

Could this see a resurgence in flight/space combat sims?
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

pratty

Post by pratty » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:15 am

I think the Wii-U Pad offers a lot of potential.

It just takes imagination of the part of the developers. It could just feature cool little novelties like adding dashboards with speedometers etc in racing games,or alternate camera views, maps, or entirely new methods of touch control such as the idea you mentioned with Star Trek.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

samhain81

Post by samhain81 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:45 am

pratty wrote:I think the Wii-U Pad offers a lot of potential.

It just takes imagination of the part of the developers. It could just feature cool little novelties like adding dashboards with speedometers etc in racing games,or alternate camera views, maps, or entirely new methods of touch control such as the idea you mentioned with Star Trek.
Im generally interested in the Wii U, and I think alot of PC gamers are too. Anything the 360 and PS3 can do, a PC can do better. But the Wii is offereing an interface that a PC cant replicate, and I think its gauging alot of interest.

pratty

Post by pratty » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:27 am

One Idea I had for the Wii-U controller was they could replicate certain DS games by turning the controller sideways to create the dual screens. I know some people would cry "Rehash! Nintendo are just re-selling people old games again." But a lot of gamers haven't touched anything Nintendo this gen, so any game they haven't played is a new game.
Last edited by pratty on Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:43 am

pratty wrote:One Idea I had for the Wii-U controller was they could replicate certain DS games by turning the controller sideways to cereat the dual screens. I know some people would cry "Rehash! Nintendo are just re-selling people old games again." But a lot of gamers haven't touched anything Nintendo this gen, so any game they haven't played is a new game.
Or, of course, you could use the touch screen and your TV as the dual screens.

Evermore

Post by Evermore » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:20 am

I'm really excited about the Wii U as it allows you to play Nintendo games in HD, finally. Now I can enjoy contempory Nintendo games properly on my modern TVs. Its power doesn't really matter to me, nor its touch gamepad. I wasn't a huge fan of touch on the DS/3DS if truth be told - its was great for puzzlers and item selection quickly, but that was about all in my view. In traditional games it wasn't all that great in my opinion.

samhain81

Post by samhain81 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:18 pm

Evermore wrote:I'm really excited about the Wii U as it allows you to play Nintendo games in HD, finally. Now I can enjoy contempory Nintendo games properly on my modern TVs. Its power doesn't really matter to me, nor its touch gamepad. I wasn't a huge fan of touch on the DS/3DS if truth be told - its was great for puzzlers and item selection quickly, but that was about all in my view. In traditional games it wasn't all that great in my opinion.
We still dont know the native res output of the wii u hardware , so I wouldn't make that assumption just yet, you know what Nintendo are like.

And no, 480p is not high defination to those who may think so.

If the Wii U is not 720p at least ,im not buying it for sheer principle that Nintendo has escaped this change for so long.
Last edited by samhain81 on Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

killbot

Post by killbot » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:22 pm

samhain81 wrote:
Evermore wrote:I'm really excited about the Wii U as it allows you to play Nintendo games in HD, finally. Now I can enjoy contempory Nintendo games properly on my modern TVs. Its power doesn't really matter to me, nor its touch gamepad. I wasn't a huge fan of touch on the DS/3DS if truth be told - its was great for puzzlers and item selection quickly, but that was about all in my view. In traditional games it wasn't all that great in my opinion.
We still dont know the native res output of the wii u hardware , so I wouldn't make that assumption just yet, you know what Nintendo are like.

I thought it had been confirmed that the Wii U could output up to 1080p? Even though Nintendo seem to have bailed out of the technical one-upmanship game that MS and Sony are playing (to ever spiralling costs) I can't see them deciding to release another console that doesn't allow you to play in HD. It was arguably a justifiable decision with the Wii (not that many people in 2005/6 had HDTVs) but this is 2012. It's expected.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

samhain81

Post by samhain81 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:29 pm

killbot wrote:
samhain81 wrote:

I thought it had been confirmed that the Wii U could output up to 1080p? Even though Nintendo seem to have bailed out of the technical one-upmanship game that MS and Sony are playing (to ever spiralling costs) I can't see them deciding to release another console that doesn't allow you to play in HD. It was arguably a justifiable decision with the Wii (not that many people in 2005/6 had HDTVs) but this is 2012. It's expected.
Well I definately couldnt see HD on any of the WIi U presentations at E3 ,despite streaming in HD as well.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:24 pm

Mario, Pikmin and a couple of other launch games are all outputting at 720p, others later should (hopefully) be outputting at 1080p:
http://nintendoeverything.com/90761/nin ... -pikmin-3/

It'd be a waste at not supporting HD resolutions this gen for Nintendo, the Wii already doesn't look as good as it could on my TV as it outputs at 480p (then again I've been using the dolphin PC emu more recently and GC/Wii games look great through that with the higher resolutions and graphical tweaks here and there.)
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

steve82

Post by steve82 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:36 pm

the only nintendo gaming i will be doing over the next 5 years will be with the gamecube. for the simple reason it is a normal console that has normal control pads that plays games only thru a tv like any other normal console. to be honest i do not think i would bother picking this fancy bullshit up even if its launch price was 50 quid. i said i would never touch the wii when that launced and i stood by my decision. when nintendo grow up and make a normal console again then ill go back to being a customer of theirs

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:46 pm

OMG a new X-Wing game would PWWWNNNNNN - I would love to control my shields, weapons etc from that thing.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:51 pm

steve82 wrote:when nintendo grow up
:lol: :lol: :lol:

You are aware this will never happen right? Nintendo have always made consoles and games aimed at kids.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:26 pm

Evermore wrote:I'm really excited about the Wii U as it allows you to play Nintendo games in HD, finally. Now I can enjoy contempory Nintendo games properly on my modern TVs...
A shame then that Ninty has already confirmed Wii U won't upscale Wii games to HD. They'll still be displayed at ED/480p... like Dreamcast back in 1998.
Last edited by DreamcastRIP on Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

crusto

Post by crusto » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:09 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:This is no doubt obvious to many of you, but something has just dawned on me.

Since playing Indepence War (now available on GoG.com) years ago, I've always fancied a custom controller for flight/space sims.

I had dreams of building a custom panel with controls replicating those in game. Think Steel Battalion and you get the idea.

Overly ambitious, but then LCD display keytop keyboads started to show up. That would have been a nice compromise, with the keys displaying the game controls instead of letters. Prohibitively expensive, I've still not seen those drop down to a regular consumer level (if they still exist at all).

Its just struck me that the Wii U has great potential in this area. Just think, we could have a Star Trek game where your ship is controlled not just by sticks and buttons, but using a fully functional LCARS interface.

Its potentially very exciting for any game that features complex display and control panels. It removes us from the variations of PC setups and gives the uniformity of console gaming but without the usual control restrictions of the latter.

Could this see a resurgence in flight/space combat sims?
Theres no doubt that the controller has potential. Its just whether the developers tap in to it or not. The cynic in me sees nothing more than more shedloads of gimmicky shovelware. I hope im wrong.

Eat your nans pants