wii U

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

DreamcastRIP

Re: wii U

Post by DreamcastRIP » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:11 pm

"Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge is no longer a Wii U exclusive."
Razor's Edge, an expanded version of Ninja Gaiden 3 - designed specifically for Nintendo's new console - will be released with more content for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360. The port will add another 25 missions, more costumes and all Wii U downloadable content
Source: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013- ... i-platform

Ninty just can't seem to get a break!
Last edited by DreamcastRIP on Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:19 pm

if the rumors about the new xbox are true
nintendo will get a huge break handed to them
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:41 pm

So I'm really enjoying playing with the gamepad at the moment...until it needs to charge.

It seems to take absolutely ages for it to charge. What's maddening is the wastage on it's battery! I can't switch the screen off while watching Netflix...so when you watch a few episodes or movies the battery is dead. Likewise on Mario, the screen mimics what's on the TV which is technically impressive...but a complete waste if you're playing on the TV!!

Hopefully Nintendo implement some sort of power saving measures, at the moment my gamepad's spent more time charging than it had playing

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:17 pm

Rayne wrote:So I'm really enjoying playing with the gamepad at the moment...until it needs to charge. It seems to take absolutely ages for it to charge.
Yep, the damn thing takes approximately 2.5 hours to recharge - Ninty's own figure as stated in the console's user manual. Which is only half an hour or so longer than it lasts when fully charged.

Iwata keeps telling us Ninty have learned lessons from the 3DS but that had poor battery life so and so does the Wii U GamePad. Heck, it's not as if the thing is a console because all it's doing is receiving streamed data to be displayed on its screen. A screen that's only 480p, iirc, anyway so we're not talking about it needing to display 720/1080p high resolution images. Poor show.
What's maddening is the wastage on it's battery! I can't switch the screen off while watching Netflix...so when you watch a few episodes or movies the battery is dead.
Ah, there's a trick here! Take your GamePad a sufficient distance away from the console (behind a solid brick wall in your home should do it) and it'll lose connection to the console. Then just switch the GaemPad off by its power button while still not receiving reception and you'll then be fine to view those Netflix movies on your TV with the GamePad screen turned off and thus saving its battery life.
Likewise on Mario, the screen mimics what's on the TV which is technically impressive...but a complete waste if you're playing on the TV!!

Hopefully Nintendo implement some sort of power saving measures, at the moment my gamepad's spent more time charging than it had playing
Yep, hopefully they'll include this in the Spring or Summer firmware update as there's no reason to have the GamePad screen on at all when playing certain games.

As much as I do genuinely like Wii U it does make one wonder what Ninty were playing at in releasing it with the myriad issues it has. Much of it seems so very rushed and not properly play tested. The company that gave us their much vaunted 'Nintendo Seal of Approval' back in the day now seems to have little or no Quality Assurance to speak of!
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:32 pm

^^ That is utter genius!! Cheers for the trick :D that should help with Netflix at least!

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:53 pm

markopoloman wrote:Hmmmmmmmm

I get the feeling DreamcastRIP will have a field day with this news.......

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/df-ha ... y-revealed

:lol:
And as usual ANY Nintendo thread on Eurogamer automatically generates over 300 posts in the space of a single day, while other threads barely break into the 30s after a week. Kinda' like everywhere on the internet then.

Honestly, for a company that's seemingly able to put a foot wrong with everything it does no matter what, it certainly generates enough rabid interest.

Back to the Wii U. So, now we know it's basically a triple-cored Wii with a PC graphics card from back in 2008. That's fine. If anyone can make underpowered hardware sing it's Nintendo.

However, games are no longer made in a bubble. "Multi-platform Or Die" is the new mantra facing our particular hobby. And seeing as the Wii U is "a bit better than the Xbox/PS3" we're looking at another potential generation's multi-platform's games being held back by an inferior product. Just ask PC gamers with rocket-ship hardware how they feel about almost every game they buy being scaled back massively so it can run on an Xbox 360.

Nintendo can and do create some wonderful games, but relying solely on them to release enough games to support their hardware is frankly unsustainable. Scaled down versions of Xbox 720/PS4 games just won't work, in much the same way it didn't with the Wii and the Xbox 360/PS3. The Wii U needs massive installed numbers to justify third-party single-platform titles. The "casual" Wii market apparently only hit about 50k unit sales each titles, despite over 100m Wii's out there. So relying on yet another casual market could prove suicidal as a business decision. We'll see.
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:32 pm

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:40 pm

oh god it blinked at me !

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:39 pm

The news gets worse:

Ubisoft has announced that Rayman Legends has been delayed and will no longer be a Wii U exclusive. Legends will now hit Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and Wii U in early September, more than six months later than its original release date of February 26th.

At the DICE summit in Vegas, IGN spoke with Xavier Poix, managing director of Ubisoft’s French studios (including Ubisoft Paris, Annecy and Rayman developer Montpellier) about the reasons behind both the delay and the move to multiple consoles.

“When we saw all the comments when we announced the game would be focused on Wii U, all of the people that have both the PlayStation 3 and 360 were really disappointed,” Poix told IGN. “So we thought it was making more sense to also bring the game to where it was originally from. That means Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. So we decided to go for a multiplatform launch simultaneously.”

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/02/07/r ... -exclusive

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:04 pm

Well if the demo is anything to go by then Rayman Legends on Wii U will be more fun and varied than the PS360 versions due to its GamePad integration.

Roo

Post by Roo » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:15 pm

censored hell. I think every platformer fan was unanimously looking forward to this in March, and to have it pulled away from under us until (at least) September is a kick in the teeth for all of us early Wii U adopters. That it was an exclusive was cool - not a deal-maker, but cool - but that the surely-finished Wii U version is now delayed seven months (!!!) to accommodate other versions is very disappointing.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:19 pm

Roo wrote:... but that the surely-finished Wii U version is now delayed seven months (!!!) to accommodate other versions is very disappointing.
If I'm remembering it correctly then it's like Rayman all over again when that Atari Jaguar game was delayed so to allow the PlayStation version to be finished. Does that make Wii U the new Jaguar? :o :shock: :lol:

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:23 pm

DreamcastRIP wrote:
Roo wrote:... but that the surely-finished Wii U version is now delayed seven months (!!!) to accommodate other versions is very disappointing.
If I'm remembering it correctly then it's like Rayman all over again when that Atari Jaguar game was delayed so to allow the PlayStation version to be finished. Does that make Wii U the new Jaguar? :o :shock: :lol:
no
the wii u isnt that awfull

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:25 pm

The worst part of the news is that the Wii U is already game starved and this was seemingly its biggest imminent release.

Things are looking bad for the Wii U now especially with all the PS4 and NeXbox info coming out

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:26 pm

DreamcastRIP wrote:
Given how superior the Jag version is to the PS1 version you can but hope ;)